iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What causes spiral grain in trees?

Started by arojay, April 05, 2008, 10:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arojay

I have pondered this question to myself many times.  I used to think that it was a heliotropic effect, then I realized that the predominant direction of spirality was wrong.  In this part of the world they turn to the right most often although I have seen schoolmarms, split at the stump, which turned opposite ways.  What's up?
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Tom

You got me!!   I just figured there was right handed trees and left handed trees, same as people.  :D

clearcut

Spiral grain is thought to be an adaptation to harsh sites. Trees with spiral grain can distribute water and nutrients from the roots to the leaves more evenly across the tree.

The direction of the spiral is thought to be a factor of wind direction and the shape of the crown. Wind blowing across the crow twists the fibers (torsion) causing some damage. This slight damage causes the fibers to slightly misalign, beginning the spiraling.

The spiraling increases the strength of stems and branches.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

SwampDonkey

I see it in fir, spruce, cedar, pines, white birch, pin cherry. It seems to be genetic and increases in magnitude with age.

Conifers trees tend to spiral left as they grow, then this grain reverses at one point and becomes more straight, then as the tree reaches old age it spirals right.

Spiral grain seems to be so common that it is considered a fact of life for most tree species.

Spiral grain also affects how smooth you can plane a rough piece of lumber.

There are lots of theories, nothing definitive.

[Source: Textbook of Wood Technology]
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

I agree with SD.  It is genetic.  A mystery of nature.  It is just how some tree species like sweetgum, blackgum, sycamore, hackberry, and elm choose to go about their business. 

Site conditions may cause it to occur in some species that don't usually exhibit the characteristic, but the above mentioned species almost always have it regardless of site. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

Actually I'd call those trees interlocked grain. They spiral for a few years one direction then switch and spiral the other way for a few years. I've turned gum around every which way at the planer only to tearout somewhere in either direction.

I've read somewhere in our previous discussions that softwoods normally tend to start as lefties and tend to end up with a right spiral where some hardwoods normally work the opposite way.

WDH

Yep.

Mahogany is the classic interlocked spiraler.  The grain spirals one way, then the next, giving us that classic ribbon striping so characteristic of the old colonial mahogany furniture.  Quartersawn sycamore also can give that beautiful ribbon striping along with that wonderful ray fleck.  If we could only make it be still long enough to make something out of it  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Don P on April 05, 2008, 11:39:46 PM
Actually I'd call those trees interlocked grain. They spiral for a few years one direction then switch and spiral the other way for a few years. I've turned gum around every which way at the planer only to tearout somewhere in either direction.

BINGO!  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don P

QuoteIf we could only make it be still long enough to make something out of it 
If you'll be needing any propellers just give a shout, we were blessed with ambitextrious wood  :)

I posted pictures a year or two ago of a batch of house logs that had a large percentage of left spiral. They were also loaded with compression wood and had grown pretty fast. Heartwood formation was just beginning in most. I think the cultural practices had kept these trees juveniles longer (or maybe just through more diameter) than normal. That started a train of thought I haven't researched. I know most conifers start out lefty, is the microfibril angle in the secondary lamella of the cell wall at that stage lefty  ???, I know it is angled. As a tree begins putting on straighter, stronger, good mature wood, (I see that period as the beginning of heartwood formation  ???) the MFA begins to straighten up in the cell wall. Does the "grain" follow this lead? As a tree ages the grain direction tends to become more right, has the microfibril angle gone right?

Or, is the visible grain direction following the lead of the cell wall "grain" direction. I wonder if there is a study of MFA in an interlocked species. Or are we spiralling with a normally built, straight microfibered, cell wall?

From a strength perspective is spiral grain doubly cursed or just the once.

SwampDonkey

Well think of it this way Don. DNA is a spiral helix and the building blocks of life, so don't expect a straight answer.  :D :D

arojay

"don't expect a straight answer".  That's a good one.  White Spruce is the predominant species around here so that's what I have become most familiar with.  With our short growing season and so on we have a ot of taper and plenty of spiral check when the wood is dry.  The degree of spiraling is different from tree to tree as is the direction, although more to the right than to the left.  I have heard from timberframers who will only select wood with a right spiral.  I can see why you wouldn't want checking in opposite directions.  Apparently spruce cones also have spiral in their 'construction'.  We have a research facility in our area that accomodates student researchers from many universities in Canada and the USA.  One of these projects is to figure out if red squirrels have a dominant side(right or left handed), or if they hold cones in whichever paw is best to get the seeds out of the cone spiral.  I'll keep you posted. 
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

WDH

Don, 

Those are good questions.  As I recall, juvenile wood has thin cell walls, so the impact of the microfibril angle in the S2 layer of the cell wall is more pronounced on the wood characteristics.  As mature wood begins to form, the cell walls thicken, so the impact of the S2 layer on overall characteristics is lessened.  I am not sure if the shift from one orientation to the other (left to right) in the growth ring is a function of the microfibril angle in the S2 layer shifting, or if it is the cells themselves. 

More research is in order for the inquiring mind.  Not that we can do a whole lot about it except understand the effect on the characteristics of the wood when we saw and use it ::).   You can talk to trees, but elm, hackberry, sweetgum, blackgum, etc. just don't listen ;D.

SwampDonkey

Well it has to start with the fusiform initials of the cambium. That's what forms the xylem and phloem in the tree, made of longitudinal cells.

fusiform initial
     |->Cell
           |->nucleus long axis || to cell long axis
                  |->mitosis
                            |->chromosomes split longitudinally
                                         |->draw apart diagonally
                                         |->form daughter nuclei
                            |->cell plate between daughter nuclei, from vesicles of Golgi bodies
                                         |->protoplast divides into 2 daughter cells, 1 nuclei each
                                         |->formation of primary cell walls (S1) with middle lamina
                  |->cell enlarges to mother cell size
           |->cell wall thickens with secondary cell wall formation to the inside (S2)
           |->spiral thickening occurs in the S3 layer to the inside of S2
           |->warts and pitting occur to the inside of S3
                  |->special forms of cell walls:
                            Septa (in some Hardwoods)
                            Tylosis (in some Hardwoods/Softwoods)

[Source: Textbook of Wood Technology]

Tom

That configuration looks like an old COBOL programming technique.

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D Well, if we could only program trees.  ;D

Now, some nifty programmer can pick up the ball and run with it.  ;)

james

COBOL ...had a programmer friend that always claimed that language caused brain damage in its users
;D ;D
james

Thank You Sponsors!