iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

W.M. question, what to look for if they have set for years unused

Started by Daren, December 15, 2005, 01:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

A few years back when I was thinking about getting into sawmilling I was told about a guy here close who had a W.M. he wasn't using. I gave him a call and he said he wasn't using it, but didn't want to sell it either. We had a nice talk and I respected that. I heard through the grape vine there may be an estate sale before long, I hope that is a rumor. This guy was so cool, even though he didn't want to sell it he told me to come out and hook on to it and use it for awhile. I didn't for many reasons, it had already sat awhile, I didn't know the first thing about milling and even if the first 2 weren't the case I hate borrowing others stuff.
I wish I knew more about it so I could be more specific, I never even went and looked at it since he said no. (and now is not the time to go poking around if the rumor is true) I just know it is a mid 80's (?) gas I think, and should have full hydro cause he was old when he bought it. I don't really have intentions on buying it, but you never know.
I question my is. If it does come up for sale what should a guy look at first on a machine that has set for years (maybe as many as 10, but inside). I know that may sound like a silly question, but my mill is all manual, there ain't but a couple things that even move on it so I am not up on the rest. Some guys look at the hour meter and if it has low hours they think it is like new. I would rather have a machine that has more carefully used hours than one that has not been used and maintained. Like I said I am not in the market, but I have bought stuff before I was not looking to buy they just followed me home cause they were such a good deal. I don't even know what a good deal in this case would be.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Bibbyman

I'd think for sure all the rubber stuff would be rotten and need of replacing.  The engine would probably need a lot of attention to get cleaned out and running again.  May as well figure on a new carb to start with + new tune up parts, oil, filters, etc.  Look for where mice have eaten the wiring.  Check the bearings - wheel, etc. May be dry of grease.

They'll be bird's nests, mud dobbers nests, and wasps nests.  Not much of a problem this time of year but in the warmer months. ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Kirk_Allen

Provided the frame is not rusted out (shouldnt be if its inside) everything else on it is replaceable. 

Kirk_Allen

If you want Daren, I could give it a look over for you if you find out its for sale.  I promise I wont try to buy it.   

beenthere

Quote from: Kirk Allen on December 15, 2005, 04:37:38 PM
If you want Daren, I could give it a look over for you if you find out its for sale.  I promise I wont try to buy it.   
Kirk doesn't 'try' to buy anything, it just follows him home........ :)  or is already there when he returns.  :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Daren

That's kinda what I was thinking beenthere :D, He had one for sale her awhile back didn't he? Like I said the guy and I have since met some of his family were good people, so I don't want to seem like a vulture. I am not even really asking around about it, but if someone approaches me cause they know I do this and had asked about it once I may take you up on that Kirk, thanks for the offer. If nothing else I may take a couple pictures if there is something I'm not sure about. I feel kinda morbid even bringing it up, far as I know the guy is still O.K.. I just didn't want to get that call or knock on the door and not be prepared. It has happened before, guys will stop by on the way to the auction and want an offer on one thing or another.

Fla._Deadheader

Might seem ghoulish, Daren, but, if you don't at least inquire, some other Dude will.  :o :o ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Daren

Don't get me wrong, I'm as opportunistic as the next guy. I mean I am in business for myself, and you don't keep bolagna in the fridge setting around waiting for deals to come to you. This is just one I am not chasing, I tried fair and square to buy it a few years back. I'm not looking right now or I would look elsewhere. I just needed a little feedback if it rolls up the drive someday or they call and want it hauled off.

Thank You Sponsors!