iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

440b winch driveline and winch questions

Started by ohiowoodchuck, December 29, 2016, 10:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiowoodchuck

On my 440b the winch driveshaft quit turning. I'm about 95% sure it's either the coupling and or the shaft that rides on the top of the transmission. Let's say worst case it's the shaft in the clutch housing, do you have to disassemble a bunch to remove it. I'm assuming it drives off the clutch or the flywheel.
My last question, I put a new mainline on the skidder and since then, it's really hard to pull off but if you push the lever about another 1/4 inch it releases just fine. I tried adjusting the cable some with no luck. The thing is the old cable pulled off just fine. When I put it on I hooked it to a tree and kept putting tension on it while I was winding it in, stop and pull it tight, then in neutral let it pull back some etc. I put 125' of 5/8 unswedged on it.
Education is the best defense against the media.

thumper

Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

ohiowoodchuck

No it was 60 foot give or take 10 foot. I never measured it. I still got it laying behind barn. I can measure.

thumper

the shorter the cable gets the easier it will pull. the small diameter jd spool don't help.  I would try to use 100ft or less.   take off your access door and you can look in and see if the coupler is stripped.
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

ohiowoodchuck

I'm going to check it out in the morning. I was more curious about the shaft in the clutch housing and how hard it would be to get out.

doghunter

there is a spline coupling under the square cover directly in front of th operator. remove the transmission cover and you can see it a good place to start.

ohiowoodchuck

I know about the coupling. I had it out when I put a new bearing on the shaft that runs above the transmission cover between your feet. I was wondering about worst case scenario and the shaft below the operators console.

thumper

look at the jd parts site it will show how the shaft from the engine clutch is set up. you will need to pull the engine if the drive gear is damaged.  and I think you need to pull it if the shaft that goes thru the housing is damaged as well.  hopefully its the coupler.. what happened when the winch quit working?

ohiowoodchuck

The John Deere website shows it with the winch driveshaft and not in the clutch housing. So I'm not sure how it goes. It was just idling when it quit and was making a noise at the coupler. I was trying to adjust the yoke on the cable to get it to free spool better. I knew my problem wasn't in the winch since everything worked as it should with the shorter cable. I got mad said a few choice words and went to the house.

ohiowoodchuck

I hope the coupler or the longer shaft are made to wear before the shaft in the housing.

Brian_Rhoad

I think some of the 440s had a shear pin on the winch driveshaft.

ohiowoodchuck

Found it, the coupler is shot and the shaft is not to far behind it. As I was taking it apart the light bulb went on. The reason it won't free spoil correctly is because the shaft was slipping not turning the pump enough to release the brake. The coupler and shaft are almost round.

coxy

is that the coupler that has the pin in it if not get the new coupler and try to pin that one to or ho about welding fast

coxy

if you have a little time and a small mig welder I would build up the splines on the shaft and regrind them but thats just me  :)

ohiowoodchuck

I got a new coupler yesterday at Deere and it fits really good on the transmission side. Of course the shaft side is in bad shape. I called schaffers and ordered one. I told Andy to pick me a good one.

Thank You Sponsors!