iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fescue Frustration!!

Started by ReggieT, June 14, 2015, 10:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Reseeded my backyard which has 80/20% shade dominance, slight sloping, and acidic soil. Had a soil test done by Auburn University.
Reworked the soil with Triple 13, manure, and topsoil and tilled about 3-4 times to about 8 inches.
Researched and finally settled on this hybrid fescue called "Titan RX"...boast about being very shade tolerant, poor soil, and heat tolerant.
http://titanfescue.com/products/titanRx/product_titanRx.html

Sowed the seed about a month ago...The area that had more exposure to the sun...took off like wildfire! The portion that I thought had the poorest soil under my pin oaks...lay dormant for almost 3 and half weeks. Then after heavy rains the shaded & poor soil area has grown lush and thick...while the area exposed to more sun has started to brown and thin a whole lot!

Any ideas, thoughts, and solutions??? :P
Thanks,
Reggie...Birmingham, AL

scsmith42

That doesn't look too bad for a fescue yard that was seeded in May.  Fescue is a cool season grass and usually you seed it in March or April in the south (or better yet seed it in September in the fall).

Did you apply any pulverized lime?  Usually that helps out quite a bit with acidic soil. 

One suggestion - for the first year mow it no lower than 5".  Fescue stores a lot of energy in the stem and when you mow it short it weakens it and it will not thicken up as much as it could.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

ReggieT

Thanks Mr. Smith,

Really appreciate it...I called my Agriculture man back...and he shared some of the same advice.
He said, in my region that fescue is really challenged regardless of its "hybrid pedigree"...lol

The shaded area is about 70% healthier than my sunny area...but its not bad considering my "before" pic! 8)
Hmm...5"?? Yikes!!
When I contacted the suppliers of the Titan Fescue he said 3" and not to over water, and to wait till Sept to do any re-seeding because...it's real tough to do it now...

Thanks Again

scsmith42

The key on the watering is to hit it hard and saturate the ground, and then let several days go by w/o watering.  Then repeat. 

If you keep it wet all of the time the roots will not go deep (and they will rot).

What I've found when putting in hay pastures with fescue is that if I keep them mowed short (3") the first year I tend to get a lot of weeds.  If I keep them mowed high the fescue comes in much heavier and keeps the weeds choked out.

Re lime, 1 lb per ten square feet should provide you with the equivalent of 2 tons per acre (which is how we measure it for Ag use).
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

ReggieT

gfadvm

I have had the best luck with K-31 Fescue in my pastures in the shade. The endophyte free fescue never worked at all here.  I totally agree with NOT mowing it short as fescue really doesn't like that!

ReggieT

Thanks...I've experienced that as well...

Wudman

I plant a lot of fescue.  Apply lime according to your soil test.  Without it, you will have a tough time maintaining your yard.  I would venture to guess that you need to apply 2 - 4 tons to the acre to get in the ballpark.  Good luck.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

ReggieT

I spoke with with the Titan Customer Rep...and he says my major error was that I seeded to late in the season, which was early May.
He says it would do great IF I had seeded it in the fall & allowed it to develop a good root base. BS!!! >:(
Yet, no one including himself said anything about that "prior to...Only after" my failed venture!

My backyard yard now looks pathetic...I contacted my County Agriculture Expert...and he says that for our zone ANY type of fescue is not going fare well or handle the heat very well. This stuff is GONE!

Guess I'll bite the bullet & get Zoysia.... :P ::)

Although in all honesty I did not put down any lime...hmmm

Thanks

Thank You Sponsors!