iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Real clothing for around the mill!!!

Started by Bigbo1234, November 19, 2014, 06:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustinW_NZ

Anyone use the stihl gloves?
I was using them on a saw alot and just found they work great on the mill as well,not to thick, keep the wind off last for a while.
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: JustinW_NZ on November 21, 2014, 04:59:34 AM
Anyone use the stihl gloves?
I was using them on a saw alot and just found they work great on the mill as well,not to thick, keep the wind off last for a while.
I have use 2 different style of Stihl gloves..... The thin leather ones have lasted the longest, only because I've mis-placed the left glove. The fabric/stretchy gloves with the wrist strap are still wearable, but after a few days of heavy use one of the fingers slit open and the tip of another one frayed. Otherwise, I really like them. Comfortable, and bright enough to find when you drop them in the sawdust......
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

FarmingSawyer

While were at it, whatch all wearing for boots? I just finally wore out a pair of Chippewas--only the left one for some reason. I seem to think I've had them for a year and a half.....So feeling cheap.....they cost a $100 more...I bought a pair of Steel Toed, Insulated Carolinas. DanG their stiff climbing logs right now....can't wait for em to soften up a bit.....

sprucebunny

I used to get all my clothes at the transfer station but now they send it to a foriegn country ::) Good thing I stocked up on jeans. When I run short of good fitting ones, I have less than great chaps to wear over whatever.

Love these gloves. Natural rubber coated, insulated, reasonable $. I buy a couple dozen a year.
https://www.palmflex.com/atlas-therma-fit-300-i-451-gloves-dozen.html

Wear my Viking orange boots milling and splitting.

Where's the warm and tough socks for low money ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: sprucebunny on November 22, 2014, 06:35:09 PM
Where's the warm and tough socks for low money ???

Don't know about low money....but I've been slowly switching all my Costco socks over to Darn Tough Socks.....made in VT and tough. Comfy too. Very warm in my insulated boots. The first pair I got for Christmas last year is still going strong. The callouses on my feet can shred socks in a month or so.... One pet peeve I have about my new boots already though is the bottom inside doesn't come out. I usually take the factory ones out and put in felt boot liners. Then you can take the felts out after a day sweating in them, put them in the cookstove oven to dry out and stuff the boots with newspaper. Nothing better than warm, dry feet. This year I bought 2 pair of felts to be able to swap out at lunch....but the DanG new boots won't take them....... :'(

Reny's or Job Lots also is selling nice thick Merino socks for cheap. I bought a couple of pair. They're my 2nd layer once the temps drop below 20˚.

trapper

got 2  pair of the darn tough merino wool at cabelas in the bargen area.  Will see how they wear. 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Farmer Jim

I wore Bailey's Wild Ass double front jeans for a lot of years, but never managed to get a year from them. Switched to Carhartt double front duck work pants and got 2 years before the top layer of the double knee wore through, so they probably have another 6 months in them.  I figured them to be the better deal as I'm only paying shipping half as often.  For shoes I was buying the Red Dawgs, which are well made, but the heel was too tall and caused me problems.  I bought a pair of Redwing with a safety toe that are going strong after 2 1/2 years.
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."  J.B.Books

sprucebunny

Thanks for the Darn Tough recomendation. A little hard to handle at $12 for each sock...not pair..... but made in USA and garanteed for life. Will only cost me Fifty bucks to try a couple pairs....
Can't believe I will need to pay more for one sock than a pair of Levis used to cost....
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

delvis

My father was getting tired of the wear and tear in the front of his jeans from handling lumber and slabs so he bought a leather apron.  He swears by it and I have to admit it seems to be wearing like iron.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

trapper

Many years ago when I was sawing in a mill I wore an apron made from a piece of wide belting.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: sprucebunny on November 23, 2014, 07:14:40 AM
Thanks for the Darn Tough recomendation. A little hard to handle at $12 for each sock...not pair..... but made in USA and garanteed for life. Will only cost me Fifty bucks to try a couple pairs....
Can't believe I will need to pay more for one sock than a pair of Levis used to cost....

Hmmm... and I thought $19 a pair was steep..... I usually pay $17.50 at the local sporting good place...

Thank You Sponsors!