iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Removing Spark Screens, Does it make a difference?

Started by JOE.G, December 25, 2012, 04:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnG28

I did a MM to my 361 and used the 288 husky deflector and a screen. Plenty more power and still "legal", least on state land. (Plenty of that near my camp)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

AdkStihl

Quote from: JohnG28 on December 29, 2012, 06:56:56 PM
I did a MM to my 361 and used the 288 husky deflector and a screen. Plenty more power and still "legal", least on state land. (Plenty of that near my camp)

266 Deflectors are much cheaper than 288's ;)
$5 vs $14
J.Miller Photography

scully

Great thread ! my only input .......more flow more go .....nuff said.....
I bleed orange  .

SwampDonkey

A brand new Stihl 550 right out of the shop will clog up the screen in the first 8 hours and your production will head south. I've run them enough to know. So what we do is put in a courser screen. This is acceptable to the brow beaters on crown land, so good enough for us. Without this modification you are for ever cleaning screens. Before ya start blat'n about that, it doesn't end there.  With the way the thing is designed the screws will either strip out or the mounted hexagon insets that are punched in from the inside of the muffler will eventually pop out. I got real tired of that non-sense and just put in a  bigger screen from the get go. When I first bought a FS550 I couldn't figure out why the heck I was loosening power by mid afternoon on my first thinning job. Problem solved. And anyone that thinks otherwise has never run one for much, let alone a full 8-10 hr day for a straight week. You can bring your brand new saw to our next site and I'll be chuckling at you for a bunged up and later busted up muffler screen by day two when you poke it a good crack with your screw driver.

:new_year:
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

drobertson

On my 362 there are two snap in looking caps in the front of the muffler, do these come out, are they suppose to come out after break in?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

AdkStihl

Quote from: drobertson on December 31, 2012, 11:52:27 AM
On my 362 there are two snap in looking caps in the front of the muffler, do these come out, are they suppose to come out after break in?

Yes they do.
But they are not exhaust ports. Remove them to access your muffler bolts.
Has nothing to do with break in.

They are in place to reduce the amount of crud from filling the holes which would hinder future maint. if ever the muffler needed to be removed.
J.Miller Photography

drobertson

I kinda figured that, thanks, J, it never hurts to ask I guess, with all the the talk about supin up our saws I kinda got into it. This saw,362 is a pretty bad lil custormer in my opinion,  appreciate your response, by the way I still have the 028 on the bench, I will get to it soon, thanks for the help.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Al_Smith

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 31, 2012, 09:46:32 AM
This is acceptable to the brow beaters on crown land, so good enough for us.   

:new_year:
Oh heavens there you go again talking Chinese .What in the world are brow beaters on crown land ? ???

SwampDonkey

Company quality, performance and safety checkers that you see about twice a year.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Peter Drouin

Its the same guy that put in the screens is the guy that took away the vent hole in a gas cans :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

s grinder

drobertson,the caps over the muffler studs are required by the tree huggers,their called a [ anti-tamper] device.

cuterz

No opening the passages will give performance gains not the screen unless plugged. :D

JuniperBoss

My little Ms 170 saw clogged up with carbon before the thing cut 1 cord! I cleaned the spark arrestor nice and shiny, put it back, and it ran good. Honestly, it would clog up so fast it was unbelievable. I don't like homeowner's saws. This saw was sent to the doctor and came back diagnosed with an internal laceration (scored piston). Surely the spark arrestor had something to do with the scored piston. If I would have taken it out, would the saw have survived? You tell me.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

Caloren

We use our 170 for clearing brush and small trees from our property, and a lot of times we are cutting at ground level in dry leaves, so do not want to remove the screen. I had used it for about two weeks when it lost power, yep, screen was plugged. The only saw I have that needs the screen cleaned every time it is serviced. I must say though, this saw gets more use than any of the others, mainly because of the type of work we do.
Loren
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

AdkStihl

Quote from: JuniperBoss on January 07, 2013, 11:53:54 AM
My little Ms 170 saw clogged up with carbon before the thing cut 1 cord! I cleaned the spark arrestor nice and shiny, put it back, and it ran good. Honestly, it would clog up so fast it was unbelievable. I don't like homeowner's saws. This saw was sent to the doctor and came back diagnosed with an internal laceration (scored piston). Surely the spark arrestor had something to do with the scored piston. If I would have taken it out, would the saw have survived? You tell me.

Too rich a mix causing carbon scoring on the piston and plugging the screen.
All too common with persons not realizing or caring how and what they mix their fuel with.
OR.....a bad case gasket leaking bar oil into the crankcase, but that isnt possible on a 170.
Did the saw smoke at all before cutting that 1 cord of wood ;D
J.Miller Photography

JuniperBoss

Smoke? Like smoke from the exhaust? Come to think of it, I do remember the exhaust puffing a little one or twice when I went out to cut. It wasn't much at all, big it was smelly and I could see just a little bit of partial burn or smoke from the exhaust. The engine was warm and was in operation, so it wasn't just from being cold.
     As for the gas mix, how can you mess that up? It's a gallon of fuel and a little container of oil. Pour it in, mix it up, your done. The dealer recommended the Synthetic Ultra, so we got it. Myself nor my Father have ever had engine problems, and certainly not ever relating to fuel mix.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

lumberjack48

I believe the problem is your only running the saw 1/2 to 2/3 throttle never really cleaning the exhaust out. Run her full throttle off an on while your cutting, keep her cleaned out.
I would definitely pull the screen on this saw before its to late. This saw is begging to breath, its chocking on its own exhaust.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

SwampDonkey

Caloren, why not get a brush saw? That bending down all day cutting little stuff isn't neccessary. A 550 will take down stuff up to 6" on the stump.  ;D

JuniperBoss

SwampDonkey

Where was it made? There is a new Stihl plant in China now. On the new 560, if I don't see Germany stamped on her, she can sit in the shop shelf. If and when I need one. ;)

Caloren

Swamp, I've been watching your posts and thinking about doing just that. I'm just not sure if it would be worth it for probably two or three weeks total cutting all year.
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

SwampDonkey

Well, just up the weeks to 30, buy more land or hire out by the hour to thin the woods. Now you need one, bad. Just ask, I have lots of answers. :D

Caloren

Well, to answer your answers: 30 weeks? Then I would have to work in that cold, wet, white stuff that falls every winter, Yukk!  :o   :snowball:
More land? No thanks, 16 acres is enough for me.  ::)
Hire out? You mean get a JOB?  :'( I've been retired for 10 years, and I LIKE it.  8)
Well, maybe I'll sneak one of those machines in somewhere, some day.  ;)

SwampDonkey

I said I have lots of answers. Not always the right ones though. I didn't think it snowed in CA, except maybe 2 weeks a year. Heck I gotta go to 67 before the government hands me a cheque to retire. Who said we got rid of the class system? ;D

Caloren

Well I got retired early when the company I worked for started their new mill in Mexico and shut us down!  >:(  My normal retirement age was 66, but our house was paid for and only one car payment, was a tight couple of years!
Our property is at 3100' elevation so sometimes doesn't get much snow, but some years 12 to 18 inches. Up the road a few miles it will be 10 foot or so!

Thank You Sponsors!