iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Removing Spark Screens, Does it make a difference?

Started by JOE.G, December 25, 2012, 04:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE.G

I hear of people removing the Spark screens, does it make a difference? In Power? In sound? Pros? Cons?

My 562 XP doesn't have one but the rest of the equipment in my sig below does, Should I remove it from any of them? Should I leave it in some of them? Thanks
Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported .025 pop up MM
Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
STIHL 009 1998
STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower 2012

sawguy21

They are there for a reason and only affect performance if clogged by carbon deposits. Leave them in if using equipment on public land.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

I'd certainly leave them in the blower trimmer and polesaw .The others are not what a person would call hot runners with exception of the souped up 562 so it probabley wouldn't make that much difference .

Quite frankly though in most cases it does make at least some difference if you retune the carb just a tad richer .Back pressure is back pressure weather it comes from a baffle or a screen .

If you are really concerned about it in many cases you can remove the screen ,cut the hole a little bigger and put the screen back .It would get about the same effect .

JOE.G

I was just wondering, Because I was cleaning up the saws and stuff and pulled them all out to clean them, They were all fine. I'll prob leave them in.
STIHL 009 1998

CTYank

Smokey the Bear will thank you for keeping the spark-arresting screens in place.  8)

Anybody who thinks this has any impact on performance is paranoid or easily suggestible.  :embarassed:
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Al_Smith

A lot of people might disagree with the last part of that statement .For example take a survey of professional arborists who run Stihl 200T's and just see how many leave the screens in .Paranoid or stupid has nothing to do with it .

lumberjack48

When they breath better they run better, that was the first thing to come out of my new saws
There would be a lot less piston scoring, if they would have pulled the screen..
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

AdkStihl

Try this....

With your hand approximately 6" away from your face....blow into the palm of your hand as hard as you can.

Now......take a piece of screen......window screen will work(less restrictive than exhaust screen even), and put the screen half way between your face and your hand. Blow into the palm of your hand. Big difference huh!

Unless youre cutting on State land where screens are mandated, remove them.......Your saw will thank you!!
J.Miller Photography

JOE.G

STIHL 009 1998

Al_Smith

I'm not even certain if you could catch the woods afire in this area if you ran open exhausts .Now there obviously is some concern in some of the western or southern states during times of low humidity so in that case it does have some merit .By the same token however during those fire prone times as I understand it they curtail any work in the woods as a preventative  to wild fires .That all makes  good common sense .

HolmenTree

The Stihl MS200T has a restricter plate attached to its screen which increases the mufflers outlet flow considerable when pulled. So screenless does make a difference on this saw.
Seeing the saw is designed mainly for aerial work above ground, fire hazards are not generally a problem. 
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

CTYank

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 25, 2012, 07:37:48 PM
I'm not even certain if you could catch the woods afire in this area if you ran open exhausts .Now there obviously is some concern in some of the western or southern states during times of low humidity so in that case it does have some merit .By the same token however during those fire prone times as I understand it they curtail any work in the woods as a preventative  to wild fires .That all makes  good common sense .

You might have trouble explaining you action to Maine Forest Service folks, some summers. They're understandably pretty inflexible about perceived threats to the major state industry, by whatever hillbilly modders. I was happy to show a screen in each muffler when asked. That makes real common sense.

No space before periods, still- std 'murican.  :new_year:
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Al_Smith

Perhaps in Maine you have a point regarding the use of screens. However in terms of chainsaw performnce regarding how the engine runs not so.
Period with  space ,product of a not so fat of finger or not so practicular method of typing from a mechanic not an English teacher.  ;)

I can't help but wonder though with the amount of posters who use no punctuation  ,no capitol letters and incorrect spelling why a simple period would be so irksome to anyone.

If it's not too much of a problem since the subject seems to come up  time and time again especially on my posts explain why that is so annoying if you kindly would.

Tell ya what you tell me and I'll tell you in exact details how a two cycle engine works ,that I know. English composition ,it's been a long time since high school . :D

JOE.G

Don't worry I won't bash you for grammar, since mine is awful also. CTYANK so all people that remove the screen from there saw's are Hillbilly's?
STIHL 009 1998

AdkStihl

Quote from: JOE.G on December 27, 2012, 10:08:47 AM
Don't worry I won't bash you for grammar, since mine is awful also. CTYANK so all people that remove the screen from there saw's are Hillbilly's?

Wonder what he thinks of the one's who remove screens and add extra ports  :D
J.Miller Photography

AdkStihl

Quote from: CTYank on December 25, 2012, 05:50:16 PMAnybody who thinks this has any impact on performance is paranoid or easily suggestible.  :embarassed:

Do you own any 2-cycle stuff? For example: A chainsaw, line trimmer, leaf blower or anything of the like?

Doesnt seem it by the above quoted comment you made.

Sincerely
Backwoods Hillbilly   :-*
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

Gee there is no real "backwoods " here so I must be a cornfield hillbilly... ;D

Now on that you can catch a cornfield on fire but they usually do it with a 150 thousand dollar combine... Much weeping and gnashing of teeth when that happens ...

Ha space,three periods  new modern hillbilly English. ;)--or maybe a new form of country ebonics.

Now this could be a great break through in translation because weather speaking the "Queens" English ,Aussie ,Brit or hillbilly we all or should have the written word about the same .By different punctuations it would therefore be very easy to figure out who was who without a specific location or mention of grits.

See all this time people thought I was just another pretty face. Fooled them all.

martyinmi

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 27, 2012, 04:23:15 PM

See all this time people thought I was just another pretty face. Fooled them all.

Al Smith...another pretty face??? Nope, ya never had me fooled! :D

And...with all the names that have been assigned to me over the years I suddenly learn that I am a hillbilly too? fly_smiley
And a hillbilly who punctuates most of the time to boot! smiley_goofy_face
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

lumberjack48

Heres a picture of a muffler that my first saws had. There wasn't much backup pressure on this style of muffler. On the 08-S, Stihl we would drill about 8, 3/8" holes in the face of the muffler. This would start a fire real easy, with the muffler up against the tree, add a little Jack Pine moss [FIRE] i had to be real careful. The Homelite muffler was no better. A guy had to be very careful cutting in the summer not to start a fire. I remember the Ranger giving me a lecture, i was 12 yrs old.
I hope I'm not being graded, English wasn't my favorite subject.

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Al_Smith

Marty Marty Marty tsk,tsk ,tsk. You know you can't start a sentence with an and. Further more you can't end a full sentence with a subject and verb with an exclaimation point .

Now we have to take this more seriously before we both get assigned to write a 500 page essay about the virtues of punctuation or was that being punctual? It gets confusing after a while .< Space ha ha ha !

Lawdy do you have any idea how long it would take an illiterate flat land  hill billy like me who types with one finger to complete such a daunting task? Perhaps if I praticed using two fingers it could be done in half the time . ;D

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

lumberjack48

I had a Lighting III Lumbard i bought new in 1970, cut good, but kicked like a Mule.

The C5, C7, C9  Homelite had this style muffler also.

Al_Smith

I think perhaps the early style Lombard Comango,Lightning .Lighting II might have had just a spark arrester .The two I have running and two or three in boxes that used to run have the same style muffler as a Homelite XL-12 .

Fact if you look that model up on Mike Acres site I think the blue one might belong to Mike and it has a spark arrester while the orange one is mine which has a muffler .That saw was considered fast in it's time and the reason it would come back so hard is because the timing was advanced about 35 degrees .

That's one of them you don't pussy foot around with .Pull that pot licker over with gusto or it will try to pull your fingers off .

Dave VH

I don't have any spark arrestors installed. I even took it out of my dirtbike.

by the by, I can't spell, I have lousy punctuation, and my grammer ain't no good,  I'm glad that we aren't judged here for that
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Al_Smith

Quote from: Dave VH on December 29, 2012, 05:25:58 PM

by the by, I can't spell, I have lousy punctuation, and my grammer ain't no good,  I'm glad that we aren't judged here for that
If we are though we make ourselves a pain in somebodies buttocks .< space  :D :D

Now that aside as much sport as it is I really was serious .If you feel the need to run a screen on a modern pressure can muffler just cut the hole larger and reinstall the screen .It will have the same effect as removing the screen .

TW where ever he got off to once had a formula with regards to how much to increase the hole size so it acted like the screen was removed but I have no idea myself .

I'm a rouge illiterate hill billy saw porter .When I get done with a muffler there is no screen ,no baffle cage ,no diverters .Nothing left but the shell .

Do they run better ,good question but you can certainly hear them a long ways away . ;D

Thank You Sponsors!