iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sanborn 6-36 bandmill

Started by loggah, January 09, 2013, 07:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loggah

Heres some pictures of a sanborn band mill my brother picked up this fall . He is cutting some lumber to finish in his mill , they are putting up the trusses this weekend, i helped out a bit the last few days. It uses a 6" wide band .080 thick and can cut logs up to 40" in diameter,and 20' long. He gets a lot of free logs in his tree business,not like us loggers that have to pay for them. ;D Don

Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Magicman

Whoa, that is a serious machine for sure.   :o    :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Nice mill. Good to see one running again.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

loggah

It runs good he was sawing some Adirondack siding to box in the gable ends. I still like the circular saws better, just nostalgia i guess ,plus the sound of the saw in the wood. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

thecfarm

They made some big mills. I don't think they made a small one. Like what most of us would use.Or I never saw one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

5quarter

Don...now that's some big iron. :o
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

stefan

Very nice machine!
What kind of engine is it on this mill, and how big?

loggah

Stefan, its a 50 H.P. Mitsubishi diesel. They did make some smaller mills ,just not real small, its not really a portable unit!  You really need a forklift or loader because of the reach to load the logs on the knees . Don

Meadows Miller

Gday

I like it and have always liked the idea of the Sanborn Mills as they are a well built mill on a good idea  ;) ;D 8)  but I might be an ole fuddy duddy and Stick with Me Circular Sawmills band resaws are not out of the question though  ;) :D :D ;D ;D 8)

dose he have the grinder, roller and setters for the bands or dose he send them out for sharpening & setting ?

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Kansas

How hard is it to sharpen and stuff on those 6" bands? I assume he has to swedge them? Also, how long do they last?

loggah

He will have to send them out to get sharpened, basically they are swedged to .080. I think they last pretty well ,the mill has a little debarker wheel that takes the bark and dirt off . He hit a bullet and a steel staple the other day and it didn't dull it. When he bought the mill 14 blades came with it, he broke 2 in learning!!! ;D The secret is to just cut thru the cant and dont run the band beyond the log ,before jigging back. There are 2 other Sanborn mills running within 20 miles. Don

thecol

we have a 2in sanborn they only made 8 of them

loggah

Supposedly there making sanborn mills again .

Peter Drouin

Hi loggah, I have seen them before .they look to do a good job. best of luck with yours ,and the circular saw too
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

r.man

Someone is going to have to enlighten me. I can't see any advantage in the angled positioning compared to vertical but I can think of at least one disadvantage. Why build like that?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

beenthere

Takes advantage of gravity. Flip the cant and it rests on the bunks and against the knees.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Satamax

Logah, i'm wondering how much such a saw might cost secondhand?

Quote from: r.man on January 11, 2013, 10:42:09 AM
Someone is going to have to enlighten me. I can't see any advantage in the angled positioning compared to vertical but I can think of at least one disadvantage. Why build like that?

R.man, there's a great advantage. When you load the logs, they stay in the V of the bunks. You can lightly clamp theses with the dogs, just to avoid movement, on a vertical one, you have to have the dogs well tight to avoid the log falling, this might create stress and the same goes for an horizontal, to stop the log rolling. The boards are still falling like on a vertical, so you can use powered rollers etc to have the boards rolling around. And unike an horizontal, you don't have to de-pile the wood.

Just check this one, it's nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en&v=PwxDlcYs9FQ&gl=US
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

loggah

When your sawing you dont even have to dog the wood, From what i have seen used ones go from $30,000-$40,000 for the 6-36 which is the big mill,i believe they were around $90,000 new.

Satamax

Quote from: loggah on January 11, 2013, 01:10:01 PM
When your sawing you dont even have to dog the wood, From what i have seen used ones go from $30,000-$40,000 for the 6-36 which is the big mill,i believe they were around $90,000 new.

Well, that's still a fair bit hey!
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

loggah

The Boys been working on my brothers mill building a bit,between regular work and weather. They have the roof up, the backwall partially done, and a deck built behind the mill , heres the latest picture.

stefan

That building is looking very good.
And if you ask me, that machine deserves a nice home.

Ga Mtn Man

Nice digs for a very impressive piece of machinery!  Loggah, what did he use for the header across the open side of the shed?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

loggah

Its a 42' long I-beam,20" depth, he may put 1 more post in close to the west end, i know he just got some more steel, and grabbed with my portable welder !!!! ;D

justallan1

Reminds me of one of the resaws I ran at the last mill I worked at 20 years ago. Funny thing about the resaws is no one wanted to run them. Seemed like free money to me.
By the way, nice building.

dgdrls

Quote from: loggah on January 27, 2013, 09:06:06 AM
Its a 42' long I-beam,20" depth, he may put 1 more post in close to the west end, i know he just got some more steel, and grabbed with my portable welder !!!! ;D

The beauty of having family members with similar interests!!
This reminds me of Lyle Niemi's shed build
well done loggah hats off to your brother and you  smiley_thumbsup thanks for sharing!

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,60092.0.html

Thank You Sponsors!