iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mast Wiper

Started by Chuck White, January 23, 2013, 06:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Just wondering if anyone has tried installing felt or other type of wipers on the mast of an LT40 or similar mill.  If so, how did/does it work?

Similar to the wiper some here have installed to keep the blades clean.

Seems that in doing so would eliminate the need to apply ATF with a rag every once in a while.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

learner

Good question Chuck and now that I think about it, a good idea too.  You have me wondering if putting an ATF soaked piece of felt just above and below the mast pads, might help some.  But how to keep them in place?  They would help keep the masts clean and lubed at the same time.  Much like the track cleaners and lube strip of felt do.
I know that having to clean and lube the masts is a pain at times and anything that makes the day easier and cleanup quicker would surely help.
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

barbender

I've had the same idea, we'll have to see who goes from thought to action first ;D
Too many irons in the fire

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have a squirt bottle that shoots ATF about 4 feet. In the morning I shoot the mast post 2 sides on each post
I shoot the top first and let it run down, raise the head....shoot the lower end and lower the head. She's ready to go. It only takes a few seconds to do this again after lunch.

I think a felt pad would be in the way and something else to worry about.

This is just me Chuck....I'm from S.C.  :D So don't hollar at me.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clww

Back in my previous career, all hydraulic actuators on all the aircraft had these felt wipers installed internally. Regardless, all exposed "shiny metal" was required to be wiped down during a "daily inspection" with MIL-H-83282. Occasionally, even with these inspections and the wipers working as advertised, pitting would occur on the exposed cylinder shafts. I would check with the manufacture to see if these felt wipers are already installed in your actuators at the factory. IMHO, if they indeed are, I don't see any benefit from an extra set installed externally.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

barbender

Poston, I have one of those "atf cannons" too, the problem is all the atf running and drippin all over >:( The idea is like the track wiper, it coats the rails with a nice even sheen of atf and all I have to do is remember to soak it once a month or somethin'  :D clww, these aren't actuators, it's the steel mast the nylon pads of the head frame ride on.

clww

DOH! Got it!
Can you tell I have no sawmill, yet? :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I see your point barbender (not really.... :D I love ya brother)

I do know the felt pad that lubes the head rail, will dry out on you in less than a day. That's why even after I soak and I mean soak the felt for the head rail, I will still spray ATF on the rail about twice a day while the waiting on the blade to saw through a cant.

I have also learned that what ever species you are sawing will determine how fast a pad dries out. Cedar dust will dry one out quick.

barbender

Clww, I hope you do get one soon! ;) The mast is relatively crude compared to the actuators you are describing ;) Thanks for the love, Poston! ;D As much atf as it sounds like you are firing around, maybe you should just look into one of those backpack sprayers ;D I'm just ribbing you, cause I know you can take it ;) Seriously, I'm just looking for ways to make a few things more automatic, if you will. And also to cut down on the amount of atf that ends up on the ground, I don't want a future Superfund site ;D Maybe I'm just a bad aim with my squirt can, but it seems only about 10% of my atf ends up where I want it ::)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Barbender....You know those WICK AIR FRESHENERS you can buy and hang up? The kind with the spray can in it and you can set the times it will go off?
If we had something like that with ATF in it, it would spray, whatever you wanted, every 9 minutes.
Set it and forget it.  :)

*****I do use some lubes now......ATF, DIESEL, CASCADE.....I keep 'em in business. :) *****

learner

I'm starting to learn that Lube, Lube, Lube should be the act of the day!  Have a pair of gloves that Drip ATF from lubing the masts.  I'm gonna try this just to find out.  And see if it helps me avoid having to put those slimy gloves on! :D ALL things can be done better until the Perfect solution is found.  Haven't found it yet.
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

beenthere

How about a paint brush and a can of lube? Goes where you 'paint' it, and no need for a glove. Seems like.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Peter Drouin

This is what use

and pant all the nut and bolts too  :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

trapper

In this same line how do you all add ATF to the felt in the rail wiper?  I use a oil can to drip into the cuts that secure the felt to the cover.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

barbender

I just take it off and dump as much atf on as it will soak up. Poston, I like that idea ;D Actually, I've been searching the smileys for one with it's tongue sticking out at you :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: barbender on January 23, 2013, 11:14:08 PM
I just take it off and dump as much atf on as it will soak up. Poston, I like that idea ;D Actually, I've been searching the smileys for one with it's tongue sticking out at you :D

:D :D :D  smiley_thumbsup

bandmiller2

Seriously has anyone tried paste wax,the type you would use on a wood floor,its a good high pressure lube and will dry and not attract as much dust&dirt. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Bibbyman

I've thought about an oil reservoir like used on old equipment with tube and application system.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

AdamT

I like Peter's idea with the paintbrush. I've been using a good squirt bottle, but I plan to go ahead and try a paintbrush. I think the paintbrush will do better than a bottle when it comes to lubing the chain drive.

I'll still keep the squirt bottle for when I need a quick squirt, which is usually on the mast rails
2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The paint brush is pretty good Adam.

But however you do it...just do it.  :D A well lubed machine will last.  :)

AdamT

But what to do with the lubed up brush after oiling the machine? I can't just put it in my toolbox. I'm not stationary, so would need another container or something...
2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

Bibbyman

Heavy Ziploc bag would work great to store oily brush.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Peter Drouin

I leave the brush in the can and put the cover back on, the can is a old coffee thing, when it gets old I get a new one, I had the same brush for a loooooong time :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Tronvik

Paint brush/ coffee can is a good idea for the mast. I use the same setup with diesel fuel on the blade when cutting pitchy pine wood.
1984 lt30, john deere 750

pineywoods

I'll definitely be checking this idea out. I usually forget about oiling the masts until the head starts shuddering. I know of one mill where the shuddering got so bad, the shaft on the output of the up/down gearbox sheared off. The mill owner had never read the manual, didn't know they needed lube.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!