iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Madrone

Started by JohnSR, March 06, 2013, 02:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnSR

Don't know how many of you not on the West Coast ever heard of Madrone (Arbutus Menziesii). It is a tree which grows along the mountain range of the Pacific Coast. This is one of my favorite trees to work with. When green, it is very easy to mill but forget it when it is dry. It would give the Aussies Ironwood a run for its money. I wouldn't even try to mill a dry log.
After a board comes off the mill, it is like a wet noodle so need a lot of stickers to keep it from warping but once dried it almost impossible to get a nail  into it.
The main problem is getting some large enough. Most of the logs are only 4-6 feet and the largest I have cut was 14 inches dia.
It is a beautiful wood when dry. It has a light rose color to it but must be dried very slowly to keep down the cracking.
Last century, the lumber was used for hardwood flooring and furniture manufacture but now it is the favorite wood for the fireplace when people can get a hold of it as it burns for a long time.
One good thing about it is there is no problem getting rid of the lumber. The local cabinet maker loves the stuff and takes all I can cut.
The piece in the photo is still green so hasn't started changing colors yet.

Jay C. White Cloud

Thank's John, I love the stuff too.  It is a great timber framing wood for Asian style work.  Very beautiful.  If you ever mill any with some curves and live edge, I would love to see photos. 

Regards,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

redbeard

Yes Madrone is my best seller also. John Your right about the stability when drying it moves around a lot and the small cracking can ruin a nice piece of wood.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

m wood

I spent a couple years in Yachats Oregon in my youth.  Loved to see those trees hanging all twisted out over the ocean cliffs.  BEAUTIFUL. Never made lumber from them though.  nice firey design in that board!
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

forestrunner

Thanks for the reality check John.  As the redwoods and fir grow here they take away the light from the madron.  As a result I have a lot of beautiful dead standing madron.  I had been thinking of taking my Alaskan mill to a rather large down tree.  I just hate to see it go to waste, but you're right.  The madron is an incredibly hard wood once dried.  As I see from your efforts, it sure does make a nice slab though.

AdamT

It's always nice to learn about a different species. Thanks for posting this.

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

justallan1

John, do you know if madrone and manzanita are the same family?
I've cut both for firewood in northern California, but never made anything from either other than walking sticks and jewelry holders out of the branches.

Allan

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

justallan1

Thanks Beenthere, but to many big names for my little brain. :D

Allan

RynSmith

They are Allan, same family, different genus.   :)

Thank You Sponsors!