iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log turner issue

Started by Crossroads, May 10, 2021, 09:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

It seems like my claw turner just wants to push logs up and over the side supports. On big heavy logs it works fine, but it seems like logs in the 10" range, I have to use the clamp to kick the log out, so it will turn. I lube the pivot pins regularly and it move freely, but seems like the spring tension is to much. In my experience, springs don't have a tendency to get stronger though. Anyone else have this happen? 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

WV Sawmiller

Yeah, sounds about like the same kind of performance I get out of mine. I love my LT35 but the claw is not the best design feature on it. Then again, the chain turners have warts too and will sometimes not work well in punky sapwood and such. I guess if it was a pair of claws it might work better than the single current design. I keep an old cant hook under the front of my mill and lots of times it is faster to turn those small logs and cants with it than by using the hydraulics. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

The geometry of the claw cycle is a compromise and yes, there is that diameter that simply does not fit.  Sometimes it's simpler to flip it with a cant hook as I had to do once Saturday. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jpassardi

I made my claw turner for my LT15. When I did I made it so I can remove 1 of the 2 springs. I also made a threaded stop so I can quickly change the starting point of that hinge point -the  (elbow) based on log size. WM's cable claw turner uses a rod with 3 pin-able points as I recall.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Rhodemont

I often start to turn with the claw and then bring my clamp down and under to pull the log back against the claw to prevent flipping the log off.  The better centered the log front to back on the stops helps reduce issues. 
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Magicman

I have a rope with a hook that I sometime use to hold the claw out so that I can catch the log/cant at the proper spot to turn the log.  This can be a life saver when you are working alone.

Shown here holding the claw out for a large irregularly shaped log to prevent it from going under the log.  It also works with those small logs. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

Good idea, Magicman.  I have got into situations where the claw just misses the log.  Sometimes, I ram a sticker into the clamp to hold it out while raising it. Then pull the stick out when the claw is high enough to dig into the log.  The most ignoring  thing is for the claw to get under the log and throw it back on the loading arms.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Crossroads

I think I'll try removing 1 of the springs and see if that helps. It seems like it used to work better than what it is now, but maybe it's my imagination. I like the hook MM, I've used rope before, but not a dedicated hook. 👍🏻

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

Personally I would not remove a spring, get you a rope/hook.

WV Sawmiller

i sawed a big short walnut log for a customer 2 weeks ago that was difficult to turn due to its size and shape. A new trick I learned then was to raise and turn the log as far as I could with the claw and clamp then I had my helper/customer hold a short scrap board against the log and I raised the loader arms wedging the log with the board between the log and the arm. This held the partially turned log in place and allowed me to move and reposition the claw and clamp and finish turning the log with them.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Stephen1

I thinka lot of us swear at the claw. I keep a bungie/rubber cord strapped to mill at the claw .When I'm alone i can hook the bungie cord to the claw and the log lift. It holds the claw out so it will not go under the weird shaped log. On small logs I have the logrite baseball bat cant hook. I just turn it by hand, I also use it when a log or half sawn log just wants to rise up the back stop, I just finnish rolling with the cant  hook. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

47sawdust

I'm kinda lucky in regard to the claw turner. Mine is powered by an electric winch with pendant control.
I can stand next to the turner and use a peavey or other tool while getting another bite.
When I converted the rest of my mill to hydraulic I couldn't see the advantage of changing the claw turner to hydraulic.
Your experiences bear me out.
Thanks for the input.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

jpassardi

Quote from: 47sawdust on May 12, 2021, 06:35:38 AM
I'm kinda lucky in regard to the claw turner. Mine is powered by an electric winch with pendant control.
I can stand next to the turner and use a peavey or other tool while getting another bite.
When I converted the rest of my mill to hydraulic I couldn't see the advantage of changing the claw turner to hydraulic.
Your experiences bear me out.
Thanks for the input.
That's how I made mine also. I have one switch mounted below the bed rail and the other has a 12' cord so I can stand wherever is best when turning. 

Magicman

The claw will also snag a hole in your back pocket when you climb up to cover the sawmill engine.  :-\

WV Sawmiller

MM,

You can fix that - just forget to lower the claw and saw through the tips. A WM DH 4* degree blade will saw right through the tip - or so I have heard. I can't personally swear to that of course. ::)
Howard Green

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Magicman on May 10, 2021, 01:30:23 PM

I have a rope with a hook that I sometime use to hold the claw out so that I can catch the log/cant at the proper spot to turn the log.  This can be a life saver when you are working alone.

Shown here holding the claw out for a large irregularly shaped log to prevent it from going under the log.  It also works with those small logs.
I've done the same thing using a bungy cord hooked to the center chain on the log loader bar. Using the log loader up or down adjusts how tight the bungy is to the claw turner.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Crossroads

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 12, 2021, 11:31:20 AM
MM,

You can fix that - just forget to lower the claw and saw through the tips. A WM DH 4* degree blade will saw right through the tip - or so I have heard. I can't personally swear to that of course. ::)
I can verify this 🙈

Crossroads

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on May 12, 2021, 11:39:29 AM
Quote from: Magicman on May 10, 2021, 01:30:23 PM

I have a rope with a hook that I sometime use to hold the claw out so that I can catch the log/cant at the proper spot to turn the log.  This can be a life saver when you are working alone.

Shown here holding the claw out for a large irregularly shaped log to prevent it from going under the log.  It also works with those small logs.
I've done the same thing using a bungy cord hooked to the center chain on the log loader bar. Using the log loader up or down adjusts how tight the bungy is to the claw turner.
Jim Rogers
I like this, I'm going to have to try it 

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Crossroads on May 13, 2021, 09:18:01 AM
Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 12, 2021, 11:31:20 AMMM,
  You can fix that - just forget to lower the claw and saw through the tips. A WM DH 4* degree blade will saw right through the tip - or so I have heard. I can't personally swear to that of course. ::)
I can verify this 🙈
Now I remember where I heard about that. :D :D I'm sure glad I never did anything like that. ::)

Howard Green

jpassardi

I made this turner, note the threaded adjuster with spring at the "elbow". It allows quick adjustment of where the claw starts into the log. May be worth adding similar to your WM turner.

John S

MM, I have also had to use the rope or chain to pull the claw out.  Too bad that they don't make those logs in the shape of a perfect cylinder.  Who do I complain to about that?
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Thank You Sponsors!