iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Besh got hosed

Started by flip, November 12, 2007, 07:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip

I don't know how many of you follow Food Network or the Next Iron Chef but the final was last night.  I was not thrilled with the outcome to say the least, my opinion Besh had it won hands down.  Seems like whoever I root for loses ::), I guess I need to change strategies. :)
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

estiers

I have to disagree.  Throughout the competition it seemed to me that Besh was the one they wanted to win.  I told my husband that if he won, then the whole thing was a farce, because they already knew the outcome. 
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

flip

Simon went into it a 2 to 1 favorite, Besh was the only one that was a consistant performer.
My .02.  I enjoyed it but I think that 90% of Iron Chef America is rigged in favor of the Iron Chef.  Besh beat Mario Betalli, not a small feat in my opinion.

Engineer

Symon has friends in high places.  One of Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" shows was in Cleveland, where Tony was with Michael Ruhlmann (one of the judges) and visited - where else?  Lola.  Symon's restaurant.  They already knew he could cook, and well.  They wanted to see how he did under pressure. 

I predicted Besh to win, due to his consistency, and the regional flavor of his cooking.  Unfortunately, he's not flashy enough for the Food Network.  Food TV is all about show, appearance, and drama.  It is no longer educational, except for Alton Brown, and even he's a bit weird at times.   So Symon was a shoo-in for the network due to his appearance and his attitude.   I agree that John Besh should have had the job.

flip

You summed up exactly what I was thinking.  Rigged

beenthere

Rigged, like professional wrestling....maybe? 
I think that of all TV shows...'cept sports (and sometimes suspect some of them... :) )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

flip

Pretty much.  You never see what goes on behind the scenes but you could tell by how the judges bickered around there were loyalties to certain folks.  I would have liked to have see different judges for each challenge.

Paschale

So are you telling me that Symon is now an Iron Chef?  I don't have cable right now, and so didn't even know that this was going on.  I read about him in a book called the Making of a Chef by Michael Ruhlman.  Very interesting and he's sounds like a great chef.  Did you guys ever see any of the episodes they had several years back of a show that was all about ethnic cooking?  Symon was one of the regulars.  He's got charisma and a huge belly laugh.  I bet that definitely came into play, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was partly rigged.

I never was very impressed by Cat Cora, fwiw.
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

flip

Yup, Symon got the nod.  It looks like there is a new episode of Iron Chef comming up and Symon gets challenged.  I like Bobby Flay and Mario Betalli, Cat was not very impressive.

Tom

I have never understood how Cooking has become a reportable sport without residing on the same elevation as Professional Wrestling.  When I see one of these "competitions" begin, I laugh at the handful of TV chefs as they imitate a bunch of preschool kids playing house.

flip

You can make a sport/compteition out of anything as long as you have 2 willing competitors and an unbiased ::) judge.  We held weekly flatlance contests when I was in college.  It started out by decible rating then went to amount of flame produced.  No I'm not proud to admit it ;D ;D ;D

olyman

Quote from: flip on November 14, 2007, 01:47:27 PM
You can make a sport/compteition out of anything as long as you have 2 willing competitors and an unbiased ::) judge.  We held weekly flatlance contests when I was in college.  It started out by decible rating then went to amount of flame produced.  No I'm not proud to admit it ;D ;D ;D
kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You Sponsors!