iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mushrooms ?

Started by Autocar, April 16, 2016, 04:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

Any body finding any yet ? I heard there finding some just north of the Ohio river. But around here I suppose after Monday I will start checking some spots.
Bill

coxy

I wouldn't know witch ones are eatable and witch are  bad so I don't look for them  ;D

Bark Beetle

We started finding them several weeks ago.
You don't work wood, you work with wood.

sawguy21

Quote from: coxy on April 16, 2016, 05:06:32 PM
I wouldn't know witch ones are eatable and witch are  bad so I don't look for them  ;D
They are all edible. Some only once. ;D We don't pick them either, we want to know what we are eating.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

OneWithWood

Found only a few a day for the past 4 days.
Temps and everything are finally in range so I am expecting things to start happening.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Farmerjw

Here in NW Indiana my son in law has found a few black sponge (morel) mushrooms in the past week.  With this better temps right now, they should be popping and turning to grey.  Little early for the yellows yet.
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Autocar

Last year I found 26 about the size of a pop can on a farm in southern Indiana. Today the landowner called me and I had showed him where the spot was last spring. He told me he had picked forthy and could see that many more back into the mayapples. Sure wish I was there with him I like to pick sponges   ;D.
Bill

JohnW

OneWithWood, I must live about 25 miles south of you, near Underwood.  I'm not a very good mushroom hunter, but I have a patch in my yard that does well (like 30 one year).  My son found 1 black on April 1, and I've found 6 since then.  I think it's over for that patch this year, unless we get some miracle weather.

Autocar

Been another dry year for me again. Everytime we get rain its cold and when it gets warm enough it's to dry   :D .
Bill

Bibbyman

We had a good rain on Tuesday and Wednesday was overcast with some light showers.  I went out yesterday (Thursday) and walked the big circuit hitting all the known likely places.  Nothing.  This is the first year my dad's never fail spot failed. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sandsawmill14

i ways always afraid i would find the ones popular back in the 70s  :D and im crazy enough own my own smiley_dizzy  :D :D :D so i just get mine in a can when i eat them :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

sawguy21

Those are still VERY popular here, southern Vancouver Island is the hot spot. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

bluthum

Here in my corner of Arkansas the morels started about a month ago and are  gone now. It was a pretty poor year. I hunt many types of mushrooms but am crazy about morels..... it seems to me the crop we have here pales compared to harvests of more  northly states.

Corley5

We've got the right moisture but nights have been too cold here.  Maybe next week.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Autocar

Corley5 I was in Lake Cty this past week and mushroom hunters were like hair on a dogs back. One fellow had 45 grays and held them in his two hands. But was very chily weather.
Bill

Corley5

We've been in the 30s nights up here.  50s at night with good soil moisture is best.  I haven't heard of anyone finding any up here and no one seems to be looking either.  No traffic in the woods today.   
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Cedarman

Stripper pits were producing a lot this year I hear.  Most people saying it is a terrible year.  I will make one more trip today, but am taking my grape vine saw with me so I can be a little productive when I don't find any mushrooms.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Bricklayer51

Checked a couple places this past week not a thing, a friend said his gf found a few as Corley said to cold at night.

Skip

Nothing here yet nights to cool is the general thought. Ramps came up early and are going strong

Mooseherder

We come across a lot of different Mushrooms at the Cabin but I don't know anything about them.  Some are real pretty but probably deadly.
Anyone know what this one is?

Skip

That's a puff ball at least that's what we call em. I never ate them but there was an article in the local paper about a guy who says they are delicious and had some of his recipes. The only ones I know for sure are morels and they ARE delicious .

Mooseherder

That's the problem.
I wanta watch someone eat them and try them the next day. :D

trapper

Puffballs are safe.  They need to have a smooth texture all the way through.  Be very careful and cut them in half and check that they are not the beginning of another mushroom that has not yet matured.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Autocar

Ive ate puff balls a number of times but I wasn't that turned on by the taste. We get them here in the woods the tail end of Aug. and first part of Sept. the dryer the fall the better they grow it seems.
Bill

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

Thank You Sponsors!