iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Albino Bear Cub

Started by pappy, July 11, 2004, 10:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy

A friend of mine sent me these pics.  8)

This cub was spotted near Eastville, N.B.  a few weeks ago.  Swamp Donkey is this near you ??

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Buzz-sawyer

Really cool pics...but I believe the cub is a color variation rather than albino....his eyes are brown instead of albino pink....I killed a coon who was raiding my house in a connibear trap this year that was white ....but not albino.....
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Jeff

Yep, I bet that Bear darkens up to a cinnamon color by the time its an adult, IF it gets that old being that color is tough on a wild animal. Black nose and dark eyes means just a color varient. Black bears come in a lot of shades.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Buzz-sawyer

Jeff, do you think you will get to do any bear hunting now that you got a place in U.P ....or does that have ny bearing on your chances.....you gotta get a chance eventually ...right?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Ianab

amazing how genetics does these 'experiments'
anyone want to guess were the prototype Polar bear came from?
White is bad if you are in the woods... good if you are on an ice flow.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

pappy

Once again I have been enlightened  :D

and I always though black bears were just that --  black  :P

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

Jeff

QuoteJeff, do you think you will get to do any bear hunting now that you got a place in U.P ....or does that have ny bearing on your chances.....you gotta get a chance eventually ...right?

This is a sore subject!  I have put in for a bear permit every year. Never got one. This was supposed to be the year. 4 preference points. I get the little white card that says DENIED AGAIN!  It aint fare. The point system was supposed to cure this. The neighbor behind me, who only has 2 points, got one for the same management unit I applied for.

I have been to busy to fight it or see what the problem is. Next year, I will only put in for a point because of my superstitions. 7 bear have been taken at the cabin and all of them in even numbered years. Never in an odd year. IT SUCKS!  There are bear there now. Here is a picture from 3 weekends ago.

VK540_1

If you guys are looking to shoot bears you should come up to northern Ontario there is way too many, starting to be a big problem. Had one walk across the lawn at camp on the weekend.

Buzz-sawyer

VK540_1
                  I would sincerely love to come up and help ya out....I would but the last time I checked The Crown ...wanted me to hire a guide and pay a number of other fees that made the 200 pounds of bear meat cost 10 dollars (CANADIAN) a pound....Now I know bear meat is rich but that is way rich .......eh???
Maybe you could be hired as my guide? ;) ;) :)

Jeff, yes I remeber the sore dissapointment  (I may have seen a tear?? ;)) when I brought up bear hunting....in St Louis
I cant begin to figure what they got against a native born son , been denied these many years, taking out his God given bear managment rights and ...and.... ...on his own vacation spot.....its un inspiring, and nearly heart breaking.... give em a yell it cant be right!!!! >:( >:( ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

VK540_1

Buzz

I agree. The laws are set up that only the rich non residents can afford to hunt. Non residents still have to hunt through a registerd outfitter. Hopefully they will change that some day and bring back the spring bear hunt.

pappy

You can still buy a bear hunting license in Maine but you would be better of getting a guide, your success rate is much better with a guide

Bear referendum on the ballot this year and they want to eliminate hunting over bait, with hounds and trapping.  

Maine is the last place in the lower forty eight that allows trapping of  bear. Next will be deer then grouse the rabbit.   >:(

If they keep getting their way we won't even be able to go fishing anymore.  

Link to Maine Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife

http://www.state.me.us/ifw/

Buzz-sawyer

Termite...

hopefully you stubborn main yankees will hold your ground....you are the very last state?  I believe it all started in the land of fruits and nuts...Kaliforia.....now mt lions are killing pets gallor and CHILDREN and ADULTS!!!
I would loove to hunt Main...on of the finest states.
Don
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

sprucebunny

Jeff .... How did you get that bear to pose there looking just like one of them plywood silouettes?...hmmm?  Things are definately different in Maine. A friend  who loves tuna fishing came back one time with a moose he'd HARPOONED !!As soon as I figure out how to condense photos I'll post the picture.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Bro. Noble

Don't they allow you to protect yourself in Michigan?  That thing looks like it's about ready to attack ;)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

SwampDonkey

I'm sorry I didn't see this thread a few weeks ago.

Termite, you sure its not Eastmount, near Saint John. There's no Eastville in NB. Might even have been East Glassville. Dunno, might be someplace on the east side of the province.

If you've noticed the post in the 'Forest Education'  Sub-forum you'll see info on the Kermodie black bear.

Click Here

I agree this little cub isn't albino because its eyes are dark brown. Albino have pink eyes, this is true even in humans. I had a uncle who worked in Northern Quebec with twin albino men.  ;)

Here's a website from Grand Isle Maine about Bear hunting/guides

http://www.bearoutfitters.com/

My uncle has guided for years and this spring his sports got 5 bear  between 8 guys. And 2 of the 3 that didn't bag a bear saw a bear from their stands but didn't shoot. Some folks do freeze and some even see bears larger than life. I dunno how a fella can mistake a bear cub with an adult 300 lbs. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pappy

SD,
I don't know any more about where the cub was seen other than what the email I received said.

But I did a Google search (albino bear) and found this link.

http://www.mts.net/~dushanek/Albino.htm

Seems like it was seen in Manitoba. Boy that little guy sure seems ta get around. ;D
Those pics are the same ones I got.

The bear outfitters do have a high percentage around these parts don't they.

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

The Drought is broken!  I got a bear permit! Finally!

SwampDonkey

Run away little black bear. :D :D

Radar67

And it's an even year too....good luck Jeff.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SAW MILLER

I booked a hunt with hounds in ME. last week.I hunted in ontario once and didn't see a bear.I figured I better do it now before I am too old or they outlaw hunting altogeather.
  Glad to hear you got your permit Jeff :) :)
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

SwampDonkey

You shouldn't have any problem getting a bear in Maine because I'm sure they have all kinds like here in NB. We get a lot of hunters from NJ, PA, DE areas.

gary

Good luck Jeff. Take alot of help with you and shoot a real big one.

crtreedude

So, how did I end up here anyway?

pappy

Quote from: SAW MILLER on June 13, 2006, 06:09:35 PM
  I booked a hunt with hounds in ME.
Saw Miller where in Maine you going a huntin'... I've seen a video a local outfitter had looks like it could be quite exciting at times!!!

Also congrads and good luck Jeff  8)

Thank You Sponsors!