iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log clamps

Started by johnnyllama, February 14, 2015, 10:04:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyllama

I am running a Turner brand sawmill that for the most part I'm very happy with. One thing that could use some improvement is the clamps. Right now ther are 3 seperate clamps for securing logs/cants, 1 low for final cut and 2 taller ones. They are basically just 1" square steel sleeves sliding horizontally on a round shaft with a riser and with a rap of a cant hook or hammer theywill tighten against the log fairly well but have a screw type lock also to snug things up. I'm thinking about making up something a little different, either a cam type lever or something using a Bessey style quick auto adjusting lever clamp. What style clamps are on some of the other brand mills out there? I've only seen woodmizer's and that was on an older model. Can anyone offer any ideas, suggestions, or even phptos of what works for you? Thanks for any input.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

Mm.kasco

I will try to post picks.

Joe Hillmann

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,81056.0.html

A fellow member just posted this last week.  It is similar to a woodmizer style but easier to build with basic tools.

When mine breaks I plan to make something like his.

47sawdust

The single clamp system on the WM could not be simpler.Multiple options in/out,up/down.I have never felt that it needed improvement.My mill is 1997,don't know what vintage the one was that you saw.The one pictured in the referenced thread looks like a relative of the MightyMite clamp system.In my opinion the simplest,effective approach is the best.Sometimes the hardest part is waiting for the "aha!" moment to arrive.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

DMcCoy

The clamp Joe mentioned is mine.  So far I have sawed a grand total of 3 logs(12-30" dia.) with another big one today.  The clamp works very good.  I can hand tighten the 'X' handle by hand and it holds. On the cam I use a pipe cheater and it will push cants over tight against the stops.  The cam will toggle over on cut surfaces which isn't ideal.  I think a home made clamp 'wrench' is on the list, one end open pipe the other a prybar, for popping the toggled over cam loose. I have made some modifications and I will post a couple of pictures later. 

Mm.kasco

If you do a search for (upgrade for the Kasco mill) you can see my clamps. I posted picks once but cant seem to manage it again. Sorry.
I can manage the new clamps with one hand.

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: 47sawdust on February 14, 2015, 02:05:48 PM
The single clamp system on the WM could not be simpler.Multiple options in/out,up/down.I have never felt that it needed improvement.My mill is 1997,don't know what vintage the one was that you saw.The one pictured in the referenced thread looks like a relative of the MightyMite clamp system.In my opinion the simplest,effective approach is the best.Sometimes the hardest part is waiting for the "aha!" moment to arrive.

Simpler to build is what I meant not simpler to use.  To build a woodmizer style clamp requires cutting about 20 1 1/2 inch holes with keyways in at least 1/4 inch steel which is quite a project for a someone building their own mill and their tools consist of a hand drill, a welder and a grinder.

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: Mm.kasco on February 15, 2015, 10:37:27 AM
If you do a search for (upgrade for the Kasco mill) you can see my clamps. I posted picks once but cant seem to manage it again. Sorry.
I can manage the new clamps with one hand.

With that type of clamp do you ever have a problem with the handle being in the way of the carriage?

johnnyllama

Thanks for all the info guys. Some great ideas. I've got some time for head scatching, 10" more snow last night so no milling in near future.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

Mm.kasco

No if it is in the way you just pull it out away from the log a bit and re clamp

Thank You Sponsors!