iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log clamps

Started by Arkyrick, April 03, 2017, 08:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkyrick

Does anyone have any good ideas for log clamps? My LT 15 is a great sawmill but the design for the factory log clamps have something to be desired they rarely work and are slipping all the time I'm pretty handy and could probably make some better ones but could use a plan or idea. Thanks in advance.
Arky
LT 35 hydraulic portable "73"Ford 335 tractor - lots of chains

york

This problem has been talked before,try doing a search...
Albert

Chuck White

Try your search here!

Useful sawmill mods:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,7789.0.html

I'd bet there are a few that would fit your need!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

kelLOGg

Do a search on "cam clamps'
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Arkyrick

I tried searching cam clamps the only thing that showed up was your post telling me to search cam clamps ???
Chuck I am searching your link to mods I'm on page 7 still searching it will probably be in there only 58 more pages to go :D

trapper

When you find it bookmark it.  Took me 30 pages to find pineywoods mod I wanted.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Arkyrick

I may give up I'm becoming dizzy and incoherent :D

kelLOGg

Sorry about the chaos.
Here is the link to what I copied for my mill. I have been very happy with it.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,41852.msg605141.html#msg605141
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Cutting Edge

Arky,

Call EZ Boardwalk and buy their setup.  You can buy just their Cam style Clamp and  sq. tubing pivot/mount and use your own 1-1/2" square tubing cut to fit your frame. 

I retrofitted these to several brands of mills (WM, Norwood and HF/Woodlands) for customers and they love 'em.  Can't fabricate them for the price.

Hope this helps

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bandmiller2

Arky, first sorry on the picture thing I don't do. I made a very handy and useful screw clamp using the acme thread staging leveling pieces with half nuts. You slide a "D" handle along the screw shaft, half nut catches and give the crank handle a turn to lock on the log/cant. To release turn crank the other way and clamp swings to the side releasing. Your clever use your imagination you want a clamp that's quick and secure. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

hopm

I realize for most this will sound unreasonable but it works for me.....I have 2" long pieces of 1" tubing welded vertically side by side on two of the bed rails of my mill. I drop railroad spikes on each side of my lumber to hold. Works well for me and tends to be a little quicker than some of my other attempts.

addysdaddy

Morning. I had the exact same problem with the clamps on my LT 10. I drilled out the end of the clamp and inserted a drill bit the same diameter as the clamp. it allows me to cut right down to 1 inch from deck and no twisting or rolling. 

Simple as sin.
Trying to think of something Cool to say kinda defeats the purpose.
LT10
Kioti with winch.
Husqvarna fan

Thank You Sponsors!