iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boiling Wood

Started by Radar67, April 02, 2006, 02:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getoverit

WOW !

This thread took a turn I wasnt expecting, but I am eager as anyone to hear the results. I can see where dishwashing detergent could be quite a bit cheaper than Anchorseal, and even easier to spray on too. I'm going to cut down a silver maple tomorrow and I think I'll try spraying the butt with detergent to see if it stops the end checking. I'll have enough to have 2 logs out of this tree, so on one log I'll do anchorseal, the other log I'll do soap> I'll keep ya posted !
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Buzz-sawyer

Hey Ken
I think being thatdish soap is a strong surfactant....meaning it breaks downsurface tensionso that water is able to penetrate....this maynot be a good sealer for ya :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

getoverit

as it turned out, I only got one log out of this tree, but it is a nice one about 24" on the butt end and about 18" on the top. Good clear wood with very little pith decay. I'll have to save this one for anchorseal...
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

brdmkr

I had hoped to cut up some live oak to experiment with today, but the weather would not cooperate.  I suppose it be a couple of weeks now.  Was anyone able to boil/soap/soak anything to start some spiramintin?
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Radar67

I started a new topic for my experiment with SOAP for wood drying. You can find it here, SOAP Experiment

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

eldorado

Quote from: woodbowl on April 05, 2006, 09:45:16 PM

I would like to ask everyone, what is the most disobedient wood that that you have personally observed? It should be a good test piece.

For me it would be Persimmon cut into 1 X's, air dried in the shade. It cupped really bad, but did not split. Young Black Gum runs a close 2nd.

Dogwood and persimmon are the worst for me.

Thank You Sponsors!