iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm in Fine Woodworking Magazine!!!

Started by scsmith42, October 30, 2019, 10:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

Well, kinda....

What I should say is that my bald head is featured prominently in Fine Woodworking Magazine's Tools and Shops Annual Issue for Winter 2020!

Here is the background story.

About a year ago I was approached by a local customer - Jason Stephens (that's him on the left in the photo above) - who had submitted an article idea to FWW magazine about his journey as a woodworker to have treecycle large logs that were overlooked by traditional sawmills into lumber.  Jason is a 25 year Air Force Veteran who had started slabbing when he was stationed in Texas, and then he move to NC.  FWW responded positively about Jason's proposal, and to quote the editor, the gist of the article as explained to Jason is:

"we'd like to really home in on "why mill your own lumber?" So it'd be less about your own techniques as a sawyer and more about the benefits of milling, how to find trees, how to deal with them before and after milling, best storage practices, and when to seek out which type of mill. In other words, it's kind of the before, during, and after working with a sawyer. "

So the article really isn't about my milling operation, although part of it was photographed here and we're mentioned in it.  Additionally a local portable band mill operator - Roy Lynch - is featured milling some of Jason's smaller logs, and a woodworker from Minnesota - Matt Cremona - who built his own 6' band slabbing mill is also featured in the article.

Jason brought us some large white oak logs in to be slabbed and quartersawn as part of the magazine article.  Last spring the magazine flew in an editor and photographer, and they spent the day with us observing our process.  They flew back home, and quite frankly I had forgotten all about it until now.

Earlier today I received a FedEx from Taunton Publishing with three copies of the aforementioned issue in it, and a nice note from the editor about how he enjoyed his trip here.  This comment in particular really made me feel good:  "You all were so hospitable and accommodating—and your operation is so fantastic—that shoot is one of the highlights of my time here. "

I think that the opening page of the article is a pretty cool photo (but then again I'm biased!)  That's Ken, one of our millers, operating our farm-built 72" slabber.

Here's the magazine cover:

Ya know, it's nice to have friends that care about you and keep you grounded.  As you can imagine, today around the mill the magazine article was the talk of the day.  

One friend suggested that I should rename my business to "Baldy's burls", another suggested "Chrome Dome Milling and Slabbing".  "Slicks Slabbing" was also put forth, but the general consensus though was "Hairless Hardwoods" would be the most appropriate.

I wasn't feeling the love, to say the least....

Still fun to be mentioned in a national magazine.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Southside

Congratulations!!  That's awesome!!  Of course now you realize you will have to create an in depth post on that "farm built" slabber!!  ;D 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

Wow, that's impressive.  Congratulations.  8)
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

scsmith42

Quote from: Southside on October 30, 2019, 10:34:47 PM
Congratulations!!  That's awesome!!  Of course now you realize you will have to create an in depth post on that "farm built" slabber!!  ;D
Already did back in 2014.
http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=76301.msg1158070#msg1158070

scsmith42

Quote from: YellowHammer on October 30, 2019, 10:37:33 PM
Wow, that's impressive.  Congratulations.  8)
Thanks Robert.
When my friend suggested "Hairless hardwoods" my first reaction was that it sounded too similar to "Hobby Hardwoods" .  LOL

Don P

Way to go Scott 8)
That's a feather in your cap, looks like it'll be a good article. I'll be looking for a copy.

AK Newbie

Very cool!  Congratulations looking forward to checking out the article
LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

doc henderson

I will have to look at that.  I now am on a forum with a celebrity.   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

samandothers

Very nice, should not hurt being mentioned in the article!  Good to have friends and coworkers that help slam you back to reality.

jeepcj779

Doc,
 I thought you claimed to be a hobbyist before. Now that you have been "published", does that make you a pro?

doc henderson

well the OP is @scsmith42  but I do have an article on the TK blog about my operation.  I was just feeling all uppity since I know a famous person (scs)on this blog!   :) :) :).  glad to see you moving forward with your "after the military" dream! @jeepcj779   God Speed.

?Ol? Doc? has SERIOUS FUN Sawing with his TimberKing 2000 | Timberking Blog
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

olcowhand

That's great, Scott; Congratulations! Just think if I would have had my "Whatizit" contest before that, nobody would be mocking your bald head- because you'd have been wearing your prize FF Hat.....
I hope it leads to even more success for you and your team.
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

doc henderson

yes that is quite and honor, and I certainly do not mean to take away from it with posting my story.  I have never been published in a wood magazine, let alone fine woodworking, by Taunton press, very good info for real woodworkers.  in this months sawmill and wood lot, there is a article on drone use in forestry.  It was the national walnut council hosted in all places... Topeka, Ks.  I did not go but a friend did.  best Regards and continued success!!!  @scsmith42 

curved-wood

Congratulations. It is an honor to be in a top magazine. Good for you

terrifictimbersllc

Congratulations Scott, this publicity is well deserved and reflects well on all of us here.   8)

btw I wonder what Mr Cremona is going to do when he needs to move that mill.  ???

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WDH

When I saw that picture, I knew right away that it was either you or Terry Bradshaw :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GAB

@scsmith42 Congratulations.
I wish they had brought you a log with some length to it.
I have heard say "God made a few perfect heads the rest he put hair on".
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Stephen1

Congratulations Scott! Always great to hear of our fellow FFormites being in the news
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

boardmaker

Really cool Scott.  I've always considered Fine Woodworking and Fine Homebuilding 2 of the best out there.  It's an honor to grace their pages. 

Now, about Hairless Hardwoods...  Considering my hairline has been slowly changing over the last 10 years, I feel that I may be a little hypocritical saying anything.  HaHa.

scsmith42

Quote from: doc henderson on October 30, 2019, 11:58:50 PM
I will have to look at that.  I now am on a forum with a celebrity.   :)
You already were.  David Poston is a celebrity!  How many folks have developed their own, internationally acknowledged currency (SGU'S)???

scsmith42

Quote from: WDH on October 31, 2019, 08:15:15 AM
When I saw that picture, I knew right away that it was either you or Terry Bradshaw :D.
Danny, I burst out laughing when I read that!

WV Sawmiller

Congratulations and continued popularity and success. I heard rumors you were looking for a bigger hat now.

BTW - I'd just as soon not know you were reading this thread on the toilet. popcorn_smiley steve_smiley
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

scsmith42

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on October 31, 2019, 10:26:34 AM
  Congratulations and continued popularity and success. I heard rumors you were looking for a bigger hat now.

BTW - I'd just as soon not know you were reading this thread on the toilet. popcorn_smiley steve_smiley
Yeah, I rethought that joking comment and deleted it.
I'm thinking real seriously of building a band slabber that will let me mill a 10' wide crotch.  Still have lots of thinking to do about it though.

scsmith42

Quote from: doc henderson on October 31, 2019, 01:42:53 AM
well the OP is @scsmith42  but I do have an article on the TK blog about my operation.  I was just feeling all uppity since I know a famous person (scs)on this blog!   :) :) :).  glad to see you moving forward with your "after the military" dream! @jeepcj779   God Speed.

?Ol? Doc? has SERIOUS FUN Sawing with his TimberKing 2000 | Timberking Blog
That's a very cool article; thanks for posting the link!  You're living a full life indeed.

Thank You Sponsors!