iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Insulation

Started by Larry, March 07, 2021, 09:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Stan told me I probably want to use Roxul insulation in my kiln.  From what I understand its aka rock wool or mineral wool by other manufactures.  Need bats 2' wide by 5-1/2" thick.  I can't find it locally, out of stock.  Anybody know where I can get it?

Going to sheath over the top with blue foam board out of old poultry houses.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The best insulation will be able to tolerate at least 180 F..  we also want a material that cannot absorb moisture...this means, that a foam product should be closed cell.

Please consider other products to make sure you get the right product.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

K-Guy

Quote from: Larry on March 07, 2021, 09:35:07 PMStan told me I probably want to use Roxul insulation in my kiln.

Actually I said it was a better option than fiberglass but I would use Polyiso(Thermax or Celotex are trade names) before this.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Bruno of NH

Roxul doesn't pick up moisture like fiberglass does.
I believe they have a board version of it as well.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!