iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need advice on sawing locust

Started by TmbrWlkr, April 13, 2021, 11:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TmbrWlkr

I have a Norwood HD36 and am still learning.  Got it to augment my main business which is salvaged industrial timbers ( pretty much all softwoods).  Now I am going to be sawing locust posts for a retaining wall.  Any advice on blades wood be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Bruno of NH

I have sawn lots of black locust logs as of late.
WM turbo 7's have worked well for me when the logs aren't frozen.
The dust is the not so fun thing about it.
You also need to flip the logs alot as sawing.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Wudman

Is the locust dry or green?  Dry locust fits on the spectrum somewhere between cast iron and mild steel.   :D

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Patrick NC

I use 7° kasco blades on my hd36 for everything from white oak to yellow pine and cedar. It's the same profile as the Norwood 7° sabertooth but $5 cheaper per blade. I've never cut locust, but I have cut some dry white oak with no problem. If it's harder than white oak I'd probably try 4°
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

terrifictimbersllc

7 turbo for me. It's hard but not as hard as steel. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

doc henderson

a straight log with be great, any branch point will tend to pull you blade a little.  very dense.  cut a bit thick so you have some room to flatten and plane.  I have only sawn honey locust
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

dgdrls

Center your pith posts,
If they're green you should be fine
dry is a bit tougher,
Strip the bark off before you start sawing.

D

TmbrWlkr

Ok guys - thanks for all the advice. Cut 6 posts today with the blade that was already on the mill (ashamed to say I don't know the brand (1 1/2" 7 degree). Seemed surprisingly ok - but logs are only 3 weeks out of the woods.  Back at it tomorrow and will switch to a Norwood 7 degree - seems the key is to cut it green?  Will keep you updated.

Gary Davis

I have been cutting black locust with 10 degree with no problem

Thank You Sponsors!