iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

spalted cherry

Started by southview, April 18, 2005, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

southview

I just pulled 20 pieces (12-28" x 6') of a 2 year dead cherry from the woods behind the house, it is spalted thoughout and I am wondering if the spalting will stop now that the tree has been cut in logs or will it continue until sawn into boards.  Also, the sawyer I use is busy until mid summer and everything I have read on the forum says to saw as soon as possible, will it make much difference to wait to have this cherry sawn until then or should I find a different sawyer to get them sawn asap.

RoadKill

Spalting isn't going to stop until the wood is dry or kiln heated.  Getting the logs off the ground will help, but if it really is spalting, it will continue. Not necessarily a bad thing.  I assume you are sure it is cherry - I have never seen cherry spalt however.  It usually turns white and punky and the carpenter ants get into it.  Birch, ash, maple spalt easy, but I've never seen walnut or cherry spalt.  Just my observation  eh?.
Yah, born in da UP, but 20 yeahs heah neah Baahstin.

DanG

Southview, that sounds like the perfect excuse to buy yourself a mill. ;D :D :D

I've seen a little bit of spalted cherry...pretty stuff.  I ran into it while playing with some firewood on the table saw.  It's got me thinking of doing a parquet floor out of it. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

southview

It definately is cherry, you can smell the cherry when your near the pile of logs.  And yes a little of it has turned white and punky but the majority appears to be solid.  And yes I was planning on getting a mill, I've been looking at mills for about 6 months to a year but my better half and myself figure we should fix up the kithen first. 

I kind of thought as Roadkill said it will keep spalting and more may turn punky so I will have to find a sawyer to cut it up soon.  Anyone know of any sawyers in central Minnesota?

Kelvin

Fix up the kitchen?  NOw you need a mill.  I bought one to build a house.  All that lumber you will need.  You just have to show your wife pictures of what i would be like if you had a the lumber you wanted.  Wood floors, cabinets, wainscotting, built ins, plate shelf, crown, coffered ceiling...  Where is the limit?  YOu can't buy all the wood!  Its like renting a house, sure you can pay someone else to mill it for you but you are paying for that guy to have a mill.  If you are thinking of getting one this would be the down payment!!!  Get a norwood used for $3k????
Good luck
KKP

Engineer

I have about 100 board feet of nicely spalted cherry.  It came from four logs that were sitting on the ground for four years.  The sapwood was trashed, but the heartwood was all streaked with black lines and spots.  Very nice stuff, and still quite solid.

So, it does spalt.  Just not as common as the others.

Ironwood

Could you post a picture? I love "gum stain " Cherry and have not seen spaulted cherry before. REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Back40x2

WOOD love to see some pics of real spalted cherry.  Have heard alot about it, but that's all ::).  I have cut 1000's of bf of cherry and have yet to see any ??? ??? ???.  Some logs have been down a couple of years.  I keep hoping but no luck >:(

SHOW ME THE PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;)
My JD 4120 Loader/Hoe/fransgard winch, a 10,000 pound Warn winch, STIHL 460,  Timberking 1600,  Lots of logs, a shotgun, rifle, my German Shorthaired Pointers and a 4-wheel drive, is all this Maine boy needs to survive!! Oh Yeah, and my WIFE!!!!!!

Thank You Sponsors!