iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can i dry pine and walnut together?

Started by Compensation, August 17, 2014, 01:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Compensation

I have my solar kiln already lined with 3 or 4 stacks of pine I want to dry for making my beehive boxes this fall. Now I have 4 walnut logs I need to saw up. I didn't know if they could be in there together. I have hickory on the mill now and remember seeing somewhere that hickory should be dried alone, so its going to the barn.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Ianab

In a solar kiln, you probably can.  The pine will probably be dry faster, but it wont be harmed sitting in the kiln for a couple more weeks while the walnut catches up.

It's the more difficult to dry species that would give you a problem. Where you need to dry pine fast to stop staining, but dry the Oak slowly to prevent checking.  Even then, the way a solar kiln works is pretty forgiving. The slower drying and reconditioning cycle every day makes it hard to mess up.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Many solar kilns do not vent fast enough for the best color in pine.  Hence, the kiln might be only half full to reduce the load.  Putting walnut in will not be the best idea, unless both pine and walnut are well air-dried.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Compensation

Now does that only affect the color of the pine or will it mess with the walnut too? The pine will be painted over white. The walnut I want to take care of.
Also Gene, do you have a pamphlet at woodmizer HQ? Thought I seen your name when I was up there yesterday. I got sidetracked to go back and look.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

No and Yes

No, it will not affect walnut, although we do not want to dry walnut very rapidly (but not as slow as oak) because it does have a tendency to check, especially thicker pieces.

Yes, I do have a WoodMizer publication about sawing, markets, etc...not sure of the title they are using for it.  I used "From Woods to Woodwork" but they changed it.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Den Socling

As I've mentioned before, beautifully figured walnut around a crotch is prized but they will crack like all get out.

Thank You Sponsors!