iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sliding down the road

Started by thecfarm, December 25, 2013, 06:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

My neighbor calls me around 11 today and says conditions look good. I knew what he was talking about. He said be watching for me. I missed him on the way down,but saw him walking back up the hill.I threw on my winter gear,16°,and grab my sled and I go to join him. We was sliding on the side of the road. We live on a dead end dirt road. My Grandmother use to live here and his family. We both moved back to Gordon Hill. We use to go sledding growing up. We was sleding about a ¼ mile. The downhill part was fast,but the uphill part was slow. But the uphill part gave us time to talk.  ;D We was using the metal runner slides,with 2 runners.We went until about 1 and that was enough. It was a good Christmas Day.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

doctorb

That is a great Christmas Day story.  Thanks
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

thecfarm

You reminded me of something I told him. We got to the bottom,after going like a bat out of where down the hill and I told him,I thought I saw an ambulance waiting for us. Man,we was flying.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Sledding is about the only thing that would get me out in your weather.  :)
Way to go Ray....it's hard to grow up sometimes.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

samandothers

Great Story of friendship cFarm!

Great stories of Christmas!  I am sure some grits would warm you up after being out!

thecfarm

POSTON,I can't remember if he was from NC or SC. My stepson brought someone here that had never been sliding for Christmas last year.We had to use the long plastic sled this time. Just went right by the house. I gave him a "crash' course and I went first. Oh yea,he crashed about 2-3 times before he got it figured out. Made for some nice pictures. He even got to eat moose meat. He had a great time.

clww

A fantastic event to have on Christmas! :new_year:
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

sandhills

You're never too "grown up" to go sledding!  Only problem I have is the wrecks hurt a lot worse than they used to.  We try to have a sledding day every winter with anyone who wants to show up, complete with bonfire, hot chocolate, and roasted marshmallows, not too sure who has more fun the kids, or the "old kids"  :D.

Jim_Rogers

When I was a kid, a friend from school told me about this place he had been to where there was this very nice long hill to go sledding/sliding on. But it was a bit of a walk from our houses through the woods.

We met up one weekend day to take his new toboggan there to go sliding together. Well this toboggan was long and heavy. And it took both of us to pull it down the road and then through the woods to this remote hill. We finally got there and we climbed to the top.

We got on, him in front and me in the back and we went sliding down the hill real fast. He was a little guy and I was a big guy and it was fun. Then we had to drag the toboggan back up the hill to do it again. Which we did, and that was a real workout.

This time he said: "you go in the front" So, I sat in the front. He told me to hook my boots inside the two little ropes that go from the bent top of the front of the toboggan to the bottom. Which I did, because I trusted him and I thought that was what you were suppose to do.

Well we pushed off, again. But he decided that it would be fun for me to go down the hill alone and sideways, so he pushed the toboggan sideways and rolled off.  When he pushed it sideways I got rolled off, somewhat. Because I had my feet stuck in the front curved part of the nose I couldn't get my boots out. And the toboggan was going real fast down the hill sideways twisting my foot back up towards my knee a lot more than it ever should be bent. I thought I had broken my leg/ankle/foot as it hurt a lot and I could hardly walk.

He was up at the top of the hill, rolling around on the ground laughing his head off about how funny that event was.

I was not laughing at all. I was very hurt. My foot/ankle/leg hurt and my feelings were very hurt that he'd do such a thing to me; after I had spent all this time helping him tow his heavy toboggan all the way to this hill, several miles from home.

When I was finally able to get up and walk it off, that's what I did. I walked off. And as I did, I told him to have fun dragging his heavy toboggan home by himself and I wasn't going to help him at all. All that time spend getting there and I only got to ride down the hill once. And the second time I got hurt.

I didn't ever speak to him very much ever again after that, even though we went through high school together. And we were never friends again.

I did have many other good times sledding and sliding when I was a kid.

Sorry that this story is such a downer.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

justallan1

Great story, Ray, and a great way to spend some of Christmas.
Jim, that's where I learned all about the art of paybacks. I was the youngest of 5 for 12 years and we always sledded down a 2 track on the side of a mountain. After a few tricks from my brother, that's 5 years older than me, where I was pushed off the hill into rocks, trees and stickers, I'd decided I'd had enough. On what ended up being the last trip down the hill that day I was on the back of the sled and knew, from his torturing me, that if you wanted to dismount and steer the sled left you jumped off on the left and kicked with everything you had and that would leave the sled going left. So on this road we were on there was a slight corner that you had to lean to the right a bit to stay in the rut, so off I went...... to the left. ;D I was too busy trying to stop myself from going over the edge to get to see him fly, but I did get to see him land in the blackberry bushes. I do believe that was the day I learned that I could run faster scared than he could mad. :D
Ahhh, the joys of growing up.

Allan

thecfarm

I was the youngest by about 6 years. I had 3 older brothers that picked,poked,punched,kicked and was just mean to me.  :D  I learned to climb trees at a young age because they would do something to me and than climb a tree to get away from me.

hardtailjohn

When I was in high school, we had sledding parties every weekend if there was good roads. We had one logging road that we used a lot that was 5 miles from the top to the bottom. We'd all load up in someone's pickup and head up, leaving one person at the bottom of the hill with a fire going, to flag down any traffic that might come. It sure was fun!!  The company that hauled off there had some good guys driving (some of our Dad's) and they'd try to run with a minimum of chains on Friday so that we'd have a good slick hill for our sleds.
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

There was a little sleding to be had .In flat country it's kind of hard to find much of a hill though .

What we did do is beat the pulp out of one another playing pond hockey .Then there was spending a good deal of time trying to find the puck after it got blasted into a bunch of cattails or a muskrat house .

SwampDonkey

I thought that was murder ball. Who ever got a hold of the soccer or football was in for some real hurt'n with 30 other kids after him. The school yard teachers would always break up the fun.  ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Oh this was long before soccer was even popular in this country.That hockey deal although we didn't have it like a school sports was just a fun game . Now of course most of us wore football helmets to keep from getting our heads caved in with face gaurds .Danged maple hockey stick plays out about like getting wacked with an ash baseball bat .

54Dutchman

Hate to hijack this thread but--Swamp Donkey can you steer me to the name or plans for the sled? ??? ??? ???

SwampDonkey

No real plans Dutchman, but here is a thread on the build.

Slip slide'n away

thecfarm

I remember that. Did not realize it was that long ago.

SwampDonkey

Ah, we're all getting older, too fast. ;)

thecfarm

Nice video too. that is a long ride.

SwampDonkey

thecfarm

8 miles!!!  I would have to pack a lunch for that trip.I sure would want to be hauled back up. Even when I was 10 years old too.

Thank You Sponsors!