iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need Help Identifying Tree

Started by ewhite2316, June 23, 2018, 02:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ewhite2316

I need help identifying a tall tree in the woods in my backyard in Indiana.  The pods have a citrus smell and are falling now.  The tree is too tall with no low branches to take a picture of a leave.  Can anyone help?

Southside

Can you get a picture of the bark?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

DelawhereJoe

Does it have large heart shaped leaves or compound leaves ?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

WDH

I believe that they are immature hickory nuts that have aborted.  This is a very common occurrence to see these small, undeveloped hickory nuts in the heat of the summer.  A bruised, green, hickory nut husk has a very strong, distinctive odor.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ewhite2316

This is the trunk of the tree and a BAD photo from the ground as there are no low branches.  I also have a large black walnut 30 to 40 feet away and the pods may have blown from it ???

WDH

False pignut hickory, also called red hickory, Carya ovalis.

Virginia Tech Dendrology Fact Sheet
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!