iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electric chainsaws

Started by Egon, October 08, 2005, 01:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egon

Can a good electric chainsaw do a proper job cutting firewood to length?

Thanks.

Egon

jph

I have a small Hitachi ,use it mainly in the workshop. It works very well but I don't think I would want to  cut up too many logs with it.
John

mike_van

I've got a Homelite, only 'cause I got it FREE at the dump - Its o.k. for the occasional cut in a building where you don't care about fit or finish, I wouldn't want to cut  my wood though, too slow.   
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

twoodward15

We like to call'em "sissy saws"!!!!
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Egon

Thanks fella's. :)

Guess I'll forgo looking at the Makita electric chainsaw and find some Quiche instead. :D

Egon 8)

Bibbyman

We use this Sears electric chainsaw around the mill. I think it's 4.5 amp with 16" bar.  Wouldn't be without one.  Thought about getting a second just so we could have one on one end of the sawshed and another on the other end.

I don't know if I'd take it as a first choice to cut fire wood but for lighter stuff, it'll work.  We'll butt off logs say 12" dia with it before we dig out the Stihl 044.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

lamar

I agree, I use mine for all kind of stuff. I also use it for small dia firewood that I bring in,then load it on saw buck.

sawdust

Apparently Logosol makes a 220 version in Europe. As powerfull as a decent gas job.

David

comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Egon

Again, a thanks to all. Just may reconsider the electric saw when finances are available. [ poverty 55 ]

Egon :)

Bibbyman

I saw a big electric chain saw used at a stave mill years ago.  I've not seen one since. 

I think we gave like $70 for this Sears model so the cost is less than the throw-away gas models.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Percy

I have a 13 amp Husky at my millsite. Paid thru the nose but its a good unit. I use it for cutting flitches in half when Im makin long beams.  It can cut a 2 inch X 18 inch flitch faster than you can fire up and cut with a gas unit.  A very handy tool at the mill for cutting knotts,knotching when the log is "slightly " too large,emphasis on the "Slightly" heh..... ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Frickman

A griend of mine has a Stihl electric saw at his mill. It rests on a little shelf above the offbearer rolls. It's handy to pick up and trim the end off a board occasionally, but doesn't really have the power to cut alot of firewood.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

rebocardo

If you do buy an electric saw make sure it has a gear driven oiler.

raycon

I cut blocking to length with a Prazi beam saw. Skilsaw with a chainsaw bar.  I'd not want to use it for firewood but works well on 8x8's.
Lot of stuff..

JP

I bought a Sears (cheap) electric saw and put a logwizzard debarker on it/// lasted about 2 logs and ate the drive system//  JP
Norwood lm2000,Newholland 30 hp tractor, log carrier/winch, log arch  JP

CHARLIE

I have an electric Poulan chainsaw I use inside my shop during the winter if I need to rough cut out a bowl blank for woodturning.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

There are one or two threads on the this forum somewhere that indicate that some safety equipment ment for chainsaws doesn't work good with electric chainsaws.   I'm specifically thinking of chaps. 

Egon

Again - Thank you very much for all the replies.

I have a Husky 365 with 18 and 24 in. bars but something lighter would be nice for small diameter firewood which mine will be.

Also thinking of taking it up a tree for limbing. Think the lighter weight and instant on/off would be helpfull. I'd use a generator when doing this.

Egon

rebocardo

You do not want to take an electric saw up into a tree without GFCI protection. Not to mention dragging 50+ feet of 12 guage cord behind you will make the saw tough to handle and dangerous by itself.

I use a Husky 365 and MS-180. I use the MS-180 for firewood once in a while when I only have a little to do. The reality is, even though the Husky is heavier, it is better for firewood because it gets done much quicker.

The little MS-180 is much quicker then the 14 and 16" electrics I have and I think it probably weighes in close to the Remington with that huge motor. Plus, the electrics I have do not have anti-vib stuff, and the Husky has less vib. then the smaller MS-180!

From experience gained by repairing electrics from customers, one thing you have to take in account is that they have a plastic drive system which will completely shred if the chain gets jammed. So, I am not surprised one died quickly while using it to debark logs. When people are cutting limbs and catch the chain in a kerf, it is usually the end of the electric saw because they do not have a clutch system and the drive system is plastic. Plus, most I have seen do not have an anti-kickback brake (my Remington does).

Dolmar_Tech_Mgr

The best Electric chain saw made is the Dolmar ES-171.  As far as electrics go this one is second to none.

sawguy21

The chain brake is built into the motor and locks up as soon as the switch is released, like a contractor hand circular saw. The Stihl and Husky seem to work well as long as the operator stays within their limitations.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DanManofStihl

I had a 140 electric stihl it sucked it was slow and a pain to have to drag a cord everywhere I wanted to cut at. I love my ms 170 it works well and you don't have to deal with a power cord or the chance of getting electricuted. I can't believe stihl and husky charge more for a electric chain saw then the do for a small gas powered sale. That seems crazy to me. I think if you really want a electric chain saw stick with stihl or husky.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

Thank You Sponsors!