iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rottin Pith

Started by Moulder, April 24, 2003, 06:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moulder

Ok, so I am cutting what I believe to be chestnut oak for a guy and most of the piths on the logs are rottened out. He wants framing lumber out of it. The problem is that I keep getting into the rotten areas. The only way I know how to do this is to quartersawn around the piths or just tell him its not worth it. Anybody have any suggestions. Tks Randy
RANDY

Tom

When I run into rot all procedures go to the wayside, Randy.

I just concentrate on getting the most off of the log that I can. Sometimes a little rot on the edge of a full rough sawed board doesn't hurt a thing but you're pride. It depends on what it is to be used for.  When the stick dries, the rot stops.  It takes moisture for rot to continue.  There is a lot of beef in a rough sawn board.

Perhaps your customer will be amenable to this explanation..

Some customer try to put a guilt trip on you because you can't get a good board off of their crummy log.  Don't let it bother you.  It's his crummy log, not you're bad board.  Just do the best you can.

hydeoutman

I think I would just pith on it  :D :D

Fla._Deadheader

Talk about timing!! I had that very problem today. The small end of the log had a spot about hlaf the size of the log. I started to saw around it and the dull blade started diving. I told him I didn't want to stick a new blade into that crap, so, I cut it into 3 pieces and we loaded it back into his truck !! :D :D :D :D
   Didn't get the desired effect, though. He wants us to start on about 300 logs this coming Monday  ::) ::) ;D ;D
  I like Hydeout's idea. :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!