iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Daily Firewood Picture Thread

Started by mike_belben, May 09, 2021, 11:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GRANITEstateMP

hedgerow,

what did you end up doing to get the garn back up and going?
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

hedgerow

Quote from: GRANITEstateMP on October 04, 2021, 09:11:19 PM
hedgerow,

what did you end up doing to get the garn back up and going?
I got lucky and the same welder that had repaired the weld that had failed two years before around the heating chamber came back and repaired the weld that failed this time and welded some metal in to beef up the area around were the blower assembly sets. I have been back up and running since May heating my domestic with it. Once again no help from Garn. I hope we are ready for winter. I had to spend another seven hundred on propane and electric to finish the winter out when the Garn went down and my temporary fix failed.  

jmur1

It gets pricey quick when the main systems fail!

Here is the last ash I cut this summer.  Just dead enough to be dangerous!

jmur1
Easy does it

Magicman

I split this year's supply of Red Oak firewood this morning.  Mostly rounds and the back contains split sawmill slabs.  That is a 5'X10' trailer with 12" sides and I am stacked a few inches above the side boards toward the front.  The rounds and slabs had been stacked under a shed for 3 years so plenty dry.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mike_belben

Looks like yer ready for a sou'easter lynn   ;)
Praise The Lord

GRANITEstateMP

Magicman,

Maybe I can get you to explain "dry" firewood to my customers!  I sell mostly green and very few of my customers are putting up wood for more than a year to dry. Most are out of the pile and into the stove :(
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Magicman

I went ahead today and split the remainder of the sawmill slabs and will haul them home the next time I am at the farm property.  The trailer was too full to haul them today

Well maybe too full for the ZT.  ::)

So I rearranged the load a bit and

Handled it OK.  I'll do some firewood stacking tomorrow afternoon or Monday.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

trapper

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Runningalucas

Quote from: jimbarry on August 21, 2021, 06:48:25 PM
Dropped 3 cords off today at a customer's place.

20210821 firewood delivery 3 cord - YouTube
That's a neat truck!  I'll have to post pics of my 'truck' here soon; 1st season using a kubota rtv with hydraulic dump, and the log splitter in tow around our property; loving it so far.
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Magicman

Yeaahh!! 

What should be my Winter's firewood supply is stacked and ready.  splitwood_smiley  That is almost a half cord and I have another probably ¼ cord still at the farm.  I'll haul it home whenever it is convenient.  Anyway, bring er on....burrrrrr.    fire_smiley

GRANITEstateMP

:embarassed: Magicman, 

That is a nice row of dry firewood. It might even be enough to keep me in heat up til Thanksgiving around here...if we don't have any real cold snaps!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Tacotodd

Mississippi cold is a different cold than New Hampshire cold, at least for the residents of the 2 states. NH is VERY cold compared to MS but MS is hot compared to NH. Like most things in life, it's all relative to what you are used to  :-\
Trying harder everyday.

Magicman

And then it might be relative to how big your fire is or how heavy your coat is.  ;D

Tacotodd

I look like the stay Puff marshmallow Man in cold weather Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Trying harder everyday.

SwampDonkey

Gotta love them firewood pallets. :) I just snagged a half dozen brand new ones from a neighbor's refuge pile, date stamped on them, none older than a year. 8)

I hauled a couple loads in on Saturday, too hot here to start cut'n more. Waiting for that cool down. ;D This is next year's wood. Although I am going to burn some of the stuff I cut in the spring, got a little mouldy on the ends. Fire will cure that. ;)

Keep warm all and play safe. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Runningalucas on October 10, 2021, 11:34:35 PMThat's a neat truck!  I'll have to post pics of my 'truck' here soon; 1st season using a kubota rtv with hydraulic dump, and the log splitter in tow around our property; loving it so far.
The Ranger, chainsaw and the Collins is all I use. Got a wood splitter, but don't need it for aspen, fir and maple wood. One crack and toss'er in the pile. Aspen and fir are the best, grows fast, easy split'n, grows as abundant as weeds. And worth 3 times it's weight as firewood versus pulpwood. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tacotodd

SD, how does it split compared to pine. We don't have Fir around here so I wonder if you have ever had any Pine (specificity Loblolly) for a comparison. 

I'll also take an answer from others.

Hand splitting & not machine. Because I don't have a machine but I DO have a maul and an axe 🪓.
Trying harder everyday.

HemlockKing

I love splitting green pine, the most difficult for me is spruce, it is VERY stringy 
A1

Tacotodd

HK, I appreciate you jumping in, but I'd like someone that's done it to give me a direct comparison between the two. I'd like to know how Fir that I've seen SOMEONE split on YouTube compares to the pine that I've hand split, but I've not run across any people yet.

Like they said in one of those Mel Brooks movies (history of the world pt1) "NEXT VICTIM!".  

BTW, I LOVE those movies. He didn't care WHO he gave grief to or about what it was. He was an equal opportunity guy like that. That's why I like them.
Trying harder everyday.

SwampDonkey

I would think them southern pines would be like our red pine, a hard pine. Not easy splitting at all. Knarly, like spruce and tamarack. :D But boy, red pine is nice firewood, like burning maple. :) I had to use a hydraulic splitter on red pine. ;)

Balsam fir is our fir out this way, very easy to split, very little effort to it.  You line'm up and I'll whack'm down the line. :D Doug fir, might be tougher. Seen a guy with his neighbors on Youtube (WranglerStar) using a big hydraulic processor on mill reject Doug Fir for community firewood. 'nuff said. :D

I never use kindling in the furnace.  I just place half slabs of fir or aspen on paper and light'er. Split side down. Fan on in under 10 minutes with a ball of fire. :)

barbender

SD, please don't mention wranglerstar on the forum😂 Most pine and spruce is a bit gnarly, unless it is clear. Balsam has such small knots that it tends to behave.
Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

Quote from: barbender on October 13, 2021, 01:31:18 PM
SD, please don't mention wranglerstar on the forum😂
I know. I've unsubscribed from there at least 5 times. Then I said to myself, oh heck, there's far worst entertainment. :D :D

KEC

My answer to splitting wood is a big stove that will take some very big wood through the door. I do split some with axes, maul and wedges. An Estwing hatchet will take a lot of abuse from a hefty hammer. I fell into a deal with a property owner to cut a lot of wood a mile from the house. A lot of hickory, some walnut, ash, a little hard maple. He wants the wood gone so I'm taking some basswood, cottonwood and box elder too. I keep that separate to burn first, keeping the good stuff for later and next year.

barbender

I've only watched a couple of his videos, him and his ilk just drive me nuts because it seems like they have to put out a how to video, before they even know "how to" do it themselves😂
Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

Quote from: barbender on October 13, 2021, 10:49:20 PM
I've only watched a couple of his videos, him and his ilk just drive me nuts because it seems like they have to put out a how to video, before they even know "how to" do it themselves
Learn on the job, or the moment. He clearly stated many times though, his videos will show the fails right along with the successes. 'Professional home owner'. What a hoot. Good thing someone actually goes to work over there to support his hobbies. Look out though, one day there comes a day of redemption and it won't be from the Lord, but a higher power. :D

Thank You Sponsors!