iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sealing log ends

Started by learner, November 16, 2012, 11:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I'll check on those tips. thanks
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

John Mc

What is the difference between Classic Anchorseal and Anchorseal 2, and why would I choose one over the other?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

doc henderson

i spoke with a lab person at UC and he said the organic stuff in anchorseal 2 is to extend the petrol based wax.  In the testing they have done shows it to be just as effective and yet cheaper with about 1/2 the wax needed.  both burn off in a kiln.  I still have my AS 2 sample from @GeneWengert-WoodDoc given out at @customsawyer event.  i need to give it a try.  Here is how I rigged my HF sprayer to the 5 gallon bucket of regular anchorseal.  It was otherwise a pain to move both separately, now I just grab the handle of the sprayer.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Brad_bb

Some people seem to spend a lot of effort to find a cheaper alternative to Anchor seal.  Seems like a waste of time to me.  I buy the 5 gallon.  Considering how many logs it will cover, and how many board feet will come from those logs.  The cost of Anchorseal in my rough calculation is 1 penny per board foot.  I would think that finding other efficiencies in your milling process, finding ways to work smarter and save labor, would save you a lot more.  I would think that would be effort better spent?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

doc henderson

I agree.  It is hard to be your own R & D dept.  The guy in the lab at UC coatings (producer of anchorseal)  was a great help.  I had some solids and he was even willing to discuss poss. ways of re-emulsifying it. Hot water and a drill/mixer.  I did find the 5 gal buckets on amazon with free shipping for 134 dollars.  Even making a good living, I still enjoy the prospects of saving a buck now and then.  Of course I am a hobbyist and agree that the pro needs to keep quality and production at the center of their focus. My dad was born in 35 as the oldest of 12 to a dad with polio.  Despite my profession, it is hard to change the way I was raised!   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

So John @John Mc in case I got too off topic, anchorseal II is cheaper by a few dollars and uses about half the petroleum by-products (wax) as original achorseal.  That is anchorseal in the bucket with the sprayer.  it has the antifreeze additive and a blue tint.  to carry the bucket and sprayer separate was gangly and so I tended not to use it.  now it will be fun to carry with one hand and in fact will stay outside by the wood.  I have 110 v there to run the sprayer.  I tried local pump up sprayers and even with flat tips, could not get it to spray a wide fan spray.  I tried a roller and pan, but wasted a ton left on the roller and pan as it is thick, and if I got carried away, it built up in front or the roller and dripped on the ground.  this sprayer works well when pressure is set correct, and the big tube sat in the product in the shop all winter with no cleaning the gun, and worked fine this spring.  I am looking for ease of use and simplicity since my scarce commodity is time!

John Mc

Looks like a nice set-up
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

farmfromkansas

Attempting to price anchor seal, and looks like you have to call for a price.  Bailey's is 79.99 but does not include shipping.  Had a thought, is it possible to thin the original anchorseal, and get a little more coverage? the #2 says it has less wax, so maybe you could buy a bucket full of original, pour some in another container, add some water and get a little more coverage? Tightwad at heart.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Tom the Sawyer

You might try checking with woodworking clubs or woodturning clubs in any large city near you.  Some of them buy in 55 gallon drums and resell to members.  If you ever come to Kansas City, there is a place that will fill your containers at about $16 per gallon.  There are woodworking retailers that sell essentially the same product, and you might find it there at a reasonable price including shipping.  
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

doc henderson

FFK I am afraid if you thin it, more will run on the ground and require more coats since the effectiveness depends on the final wax coat thickness after all the water evaporates from the emulsion.  5 gallons is 134 on amazon with free shipping.  @Tom the Sawyer where in KC?  will be coming for a wedding on Fr.  PM me if that is more appropriate.  @farmfromkansas if you feeling thrifty other threads talk about old latex paint or roof coating, but this AS will burn off in a kiln.  Or find a buddy that does concrete work or road construction and try the wax emulsion they use and get in tank trailers.

doc henderson

Thanks @Tom the Sawyer they have ancho seal 2 and it is $14 dollars per gallon.

farmfromkansas

Doc, if you pick some up, and want to get an extra 5 gallons, I could pick it up at your place. Once I get caught up on the farm.  Wet weather has kept me from getting my work done.

doc henderson

i plan to go by and get some, and if it all works out i will do that and let you know!!

farmfromkansas

Just to let you guys know, Menards has the white elastomeric roof coating on sale Friday through Sunday 4.75 gallons for 49.99 .  Looked like regular price is 69.99

farmfromkansas

Today has been hectic.  Battery was dead in Tacoma.  Took the old battery out and took the wife's car to get  a new one.  When leaving town, wife texted that Menards has the all metal 20" fans I've been watching on sale for 30$. Got the last 2. On the way home, Doc texted that he was at B Tech enrolling his daughter. Was in meeting so had to go on home and wait to meet him.  Got the rake and my 50 year old JD tractor ready and went to rake some rained on alfalfa, got done about 12:30, and Doc had given up getting hold of me, found my house and delivered the Anchor seal 2 he had picked up on his trip.  What a guy!  Let me know if I can do you a favor some time.

doc henderson

it was my pleasure and will look forward to meeting you.

Thank You Sponsors!