iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting Hardest Hardwoods

Started by Pepe_Silvia, November 21, 2019, 09:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

Yes, it should look like a light motor oil or vegetable oil.  It very readily mixes with the water in the jug.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Pepe_Silvia

This stuff is really gloopy.  I'll try to find the cleaner locally.
Woodmizer LT15Wide GO, John Deere 318D Skid Steer

PAmizerman

Does anyone know where I can order the jesco on line? I googled it but didn't find any suppliers. I found the JD stuff for over $100 a bucket plus shipping 
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Pepe_Silvia

I was able to get the John Deere stuff from a local dealer.

Cut my buddy's ~2'-3' diameter x 12' long Live Oak yesterday.  Still was not really please with the results.  Using brand new 4 degree blades the sapwood cuts were fine, but the heartwood still caused wave, as bad as probably 1" in some places.  2.5" thick were unmanageable weight-wise, so we were cutting 2".  They're going to take some work after they dry, but hopefully he'll get some use out of them.

The logs came from Central Texas where they grow them slow and hard.  I'm not sure there was anything I could have done to get a better product. 

Woodmizer LT15Wide GO, John Deere 318D Skid Steer

LeeB

It only gets harder as it dries. I have a lot of it that I milled 14 years ago. Still weighs like a block of iron and pretty close to the hardness.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

doc henderson

I got the same brand per @Magicman & @YellowHammer  recommendations.  50 bucks and free shipping on amazon, if you are not near a store.  the ag store at the link shows it for 27 bucks.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

bwstout

i order mine from MM recommendation they shipped it quickly 
home built mill

Magicman

Pepe, Live Oak is as bad as it gets.  Thankfully it is a species that I am seldom asked to saw.  :-X

But it is incredibly beautiful with the wavy wood grain.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dgdrls

What were the teeth at?   Waves are often caused by under-set teeth

The bark is also pretty tough on teeth

it sure is dandy looking lumber!!

D

tule peak timber

We cut a lot of live oak, coastal and canyon. Canyon live oak was used as wagon axles and splitting wedges to fell other trees in days past . Very hard stuff. We use purple power detergent and water and not too much of it. The bigger logs are cut with a Lucas chain saw and lots of lube. Few people mess with it so we sell a lot of it as a niche product.
  Your blade/chain geometry needs to be spot on or there is a lot of smoke ! Very pretty wood......

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

YellowHammer

1" waves?!  That's not a band lube issue, thats something else. 

You might switch to carbides.  Get one or two and save them for the hard  logs.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!