iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timbery sawmills - any experience? any opinions?

Started by LoomBuilder, September 25, 2013, 11:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoomBuilder

At this past weekend's Mother Earth News Fair at the nearby Seven Springs Resort in Champion, PA I had an opportunity to spend a bit of time examining sawmills from Wood-Mizer, Norwood, and Hud-Son and, much to my surprise, a new model from Timbery, a company that I was not familiar with at all prior to the show.  I feel that I'm pretty familiar with the offerings from the other three vendors as I seem to be stuck in a perpetual shopping/researching but unable to buy mode (a very sad state!) but the Timbery was all new to me.  This line of mills is now being sold and supported in my region by Parsons Outdoor Power Equipment and while I didn't have an opportunity to speak directly with Marty I did talk to the folks manning the booth as well as with a couple of other Fair-goers who were also evaluating mills.  It seems that these mills are slotted a bit lower in price than similarly equipped Wood-Mizer or Norwood mills while having lots of nice features for the money.  The mill on display was the model M285, a portable mill with solid bed, loading ramps, and winch that would price out quite a bit lower than a LT15GO.  I liked the adjustability of the log rests by turning about a quarter turn, adjusting the height, and turning them back in place.  This is accomplished by a set of teeth on the back of the rest that can be lined up with a slot in the sawmill frame.  It's a bit difficult to describe (and I don't have a good photo as it was starting to rain when I was looking at the mill up close) but works very quickly and securely.  I also liked the crank-style trailer jacks which would make leveling the mill a quick operation once onsite.  Operator controls were straightforward and I liked that the sawdust chute was on the opposite side of the mill.  With it's mix of features, competitive pricing, and backing by a very reputable dealer it looks like a very good option but I haven't been able to find much information about them.  A search here on the forum turned up one entry from 2010 so I'm wondering... does anyone here on the forum own one of these and if so what do you think about the mill and what are its good points and not-so-good points?  Any information you care to share would be appreciated!

Larry

Here are a couple of photos of the mill.  Sorry that they're not more detailed.

p.s. I just loved hanging out down by the sawmills at the Fair.  The smell of sawdust, the logs turning into boards, the interest of the people passing by, and especially the friendly demo people from all the vendors made it a great part of the weekend.  To be honest, if I had the cash the LT40 would be my first choice in a sawmill but I have neither the budget nor the need for such a machine but it still was great watching it in operation!
Granberg Alaskan with Stihl 066 power, looking for bandsaw mill

hamish

There is very little information available regarding Timbery.  Originally a Canadian company out of New Brunswick, always pretty much had two mills available an edger and other forestry equipment available.

Looked and drooled over there mills at many a show and wouldn't hesitate buying one.

Rumour had it that Timbery was purchased by Woodmizer, but neither company will confirm or deny it.

Some very innovative designs on there mills.

If I didn't already have my Norwood, Timbery would be my other choice.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

dboyt

Quote from: hamish on September 25, 2013, 11:29:16 PM
Rumour had it that Timbery was purchased by Woodmizer, but neither company will confirm or deny it.

The mill was at the WoodMizer booth.

Timbery has a mill entered in the Great Portable Sawmill Shoot-Out next week at the Paul Bunyan show in Cambridge, Ohio, where it will go head-to-head with Norwood, EZ Boardwalk, WoodMizer, Baker, and Peterson.  Stay tuned.

If I needed to replace my mill, I wouldn't hesitate to get another Norwood!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Stevie ok

I just bought a timbery M285/ Subaru 20.5 .i also got the siding jig , ramp and loader with it as well. I am a newb in the forum and business . So any suggestions will be greatly appreciated . I've milled a dozen of cedar logs so far to make into siding . Will send pics in the future .

thecfarm

Stevie ok,welcome to the forum. Sawing cedar,what's the plan for that? Suggestions? Read past post and saw and saw and saw. Ask away and we will help. Make sure the log stops are down too. :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stevie ok

Oh yes ,.i'll try to remember about the stops ,lol . The siding I'll be supplying it to my brother , he has a cabin which could use a facelift It's only to practice wood I had laying around . I got a cedar stand I'm gonna be cutting soon .

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Stevie ok, sounds like you got a good one, I saw these mills at the Shoot-out earlier in Oct.  the Subaru's
seemed to be a very good engine, I noticed them used on allot of varying equipment throughout the Paul Bunyan show. Looking forward to some pictures!   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Stevie ok

Thanks fellow sawyers ! I'm gonna be reading past post for the next hour or so .

bery

Yes, I have a 280. I posted how mine is working and my experience with it as well as what I added to mine. I made the mistake of posting my comments some were else on the forum-sorry. If you look hard you should be able to find it.

thecfarm

bery,welcome to the forum. Glad you like your mill. I have seen them at a show.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bery

I thought I would try to post a few pics of my set up. How do I do this? I opened my photo shop and tryed to drag one over to the window, did not work.

thecfarm

They have to be put into a gallery that you put pictures into. Jeff likes them that way so there are very few red x's on here. Looks like a lot,but it is not.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html

Billbob

Timbery's are sold by a local dealership here in New Brunswick.  Base price $3,250cdn.  Their company headquarters is Indianapolis, IN.
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

bery

Ianab

Almost got it.

Go down the page and find the section with the image code. Looks like this
[img]https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/32320/DSCN1693.JPG[/img]

Just copy that text into the post, and you get...

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

RayMO

Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

bery

I had an AC-C at one time and had some left over paint i got at Farm store. So I used it to try to match Tembery. Not exact but very close. This old trailer I had sitting around for 25 yrs. I cut a house trailer axle tube down and used it for my axle with springs/wheels installed. I'm a tall guy and did not wont to bend over all the time, so I designed my set up so I could keep my back straight as I work around the mill. Thanks for posting pic, I will try to post more or you can post the rest for me and then I will comment on them later.

thecfarm

bery

bery

I added the wench before I added hydro, so I could turn the log or add ramps to bring the log onto the trailer. Haven't used much.

thecfarm

That looks good. I see lumber stickered in the back too.

bery

thecfarm

Give this a try,really the same thing as above,but this works too.copy it off and follow each step.

I like to go to whatever post or start a new topic first to include a picture.Go to your gallery,it will open in a new window.Click onto your album,then click onto whatever picture you want,it will get bigger,than scroll down a little to find,Insert Image In Post,click onto that,click Yes and that is it. Some have to copy/paste the link to work.I like to hit the enter key at least once or twice to move the picture down away from what I am typing. The enter key really helps to leave some white space if posting more than one picture. Somewheres I think it says to add 10,000 to your user number or something like that to make a clickable icon to your gallery under your user name. Use the preview button to see how it looks and modify it if needed.

barbender

Bery, I am a tall guy, too. I find on my LT40 I usually have the tires up on blocks and the outriggers down all the way. I hate bending down, I always run a 24" bar on my chainsaw too, for the same reason. People think I have an ego problem or something, out running a 2' long bar cutting 12" diameter trees :) You're Timbery looks like a very well thought out design, I'd like a closer look at one of those heads. Nice mill.
Too many irons in the fire

bery

ok........
These are my control lines after I load the log. I stand to the back side of the wench  to make sure the log don't come after me as well as I can see all the movement. This takes the place of the cant hook as well as log stop holder.

bery

the pic was there, then I erased the writing from the pic and see it is gone now... Try again...

bery

first pic, I use parts of a cub cadet hydro lift and mad the handles. Had the lines made ( the expense part)
2nd pic- I made it all from my own ideas as well as watching you tube videos of how logs turn and move on different mills. 2 cylinders Power both directions. additional supports to keep shafts from bending and head can be removed for other attachments. This cyl.. moves up and down, it will pick up any size log I wont and shift it in or out from under log or pushing it in.
3rd pic- shows the in and out motion as both cyl., can work at same time. Shown tucked in frame is the 12 volt pump which came from a lift gate of big truck. This saved me thousands of cash as compared to competitor price.

bery

The only down fall to this it it takes 2 big batteries, which I mounted to big interstate in the frame on the inside and under the bed with plex glass cover to keep saw dust off. It will run most of a hard working day but it is simple to have a charger hooked up to keep full power all the time. The mill has a charging system built in but I did not like the idea of have wires and lines running back and forth with the head.

bery

I made some forks for my IH 2504 3000 loader out of frame rails off a case 1370. They hook up to my quick attach loader and seem to work out well. This speeds up the process as well as saves my back. I stopped using the cant hook as soon as my hydro project started working out.

bery

bery

I was trying to explain these 3 pic's but another window came up and said I could not comment on this topic and had to start my own topic. This topic was about the Timbery mills I thought.

pic 1- shown the pulley drive system. No electric clutch to replace.
pic 3- shows cam tension handle for blade, no brains needed.
pic 2- shows 20.5 Subaru engine with tac., and hr meter. Runs smooth

I will start a new topic to show other pic's. Sorry.

beenthere

QuoteI was trying to explain these 3 pic's but another window came up and said I could not comment on this topic and had to start my own topic

Don't understand that.
Are you using the "Preview" button to see what your post looks like, and then making the editing changes to add the wording you want in between the url code for the pics?

The limitation you suggested doesn't make sense to me. Just curious. No need to start a new thread or add a post to correct a previous post. Just use the Modify button to correct/edit a post. ;) Should work real well for you, and enjoying the pics.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bery

I'm not sure if it was do to some thing I did or did not do but thanks for the explaining. I thought may be I was posting to many of my photos here and may be the forum did not like me doing that. But after you said your enjoying the pic's, then  that tells me it is ok to show more.
The thing I don't understand or really like, is the pics in my gallery is also shown in a public gallery that all can see. Is this right? If so, how do I hide them from any one seeing them or is this the way this site is set up??

thecfarm

Once you put a picture in your gallery I think it becomes the property of the ff or something like that. BUT no one else can come and take your pictures and use them in a bad way or make money or claim that this is my picture. Just so you know I can go in to your gallery and post a picture on here. Most times it's done just to show a new member that the picture is there and this is how you do it.

Ianab

To clarify the photo thing.

You are "By uploading photos to the Forestry Forum, you grant to the Forestry Forum a non-exclusive licence in all media throughout the world".

This means that they are still your pictures, you can do whatever else you want with them, but the FF can display them any place in the world.

Also "The Forestry Forum will not make any commercial use of the photographs outside of the Forestry Forum servers without further negotiation with you" So Jeff undertakes not to sell of the images to anyone else, without asking you first.

If any images were to be "Locked down" then they become invisible to anyone casually browsing the forum, the dreaded Red X comes up, and the post is kind of pointless. So the images remain viewable to the general internet. A lot of folks browse the forum, find the info they wanted, but never get around to signing up. While that's a pity, we are OK with this, it's not a top secret site  ;)

If there are things that you would rather not have seen, best you don't post them on the internet AT ALL. .  Seems a lot of celebrities haven't learnt this simple rule  ;) :D

Full version of the forum rules here.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=rules

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

bery

That's ok on them keeping my photos. Face book is the same way. Thanks for all your help.  Here is some of my wood I cut this summer. I have most of it in the barn for the winter. All the wood In these pictures were down trees, some dead for 5-8 years and some with the bark all off. We have lots of cherry/ash. Some walnut, oak and popular. I have too much all ready and have been cutting logs up in mostly 13 ' long pieces from a major project clearing for a water way from one of our farms. I don't really have it figured how many board feet I have in the barn. Looks like 3-4'wide by12 ' high by12' long area. I all ready have a full time job. This was sapose to be a past time.

thecfarm

Ayup,you got sawdust fever.   :D  You have some piles of lumber to do something with.  ;D

bery

I will make sure I don't post my wife as she was trying the mill out as she was nude on that hot summers day back in July.

bery

bery

19 or 20" wheels with needle barrings with gr. certs .
the Timbery scale is right on. Cuts with 1" of the deck.
The cabinet is all steel, no plastic. The mill is all welded, no bolts.

bery

I would have liked to have the timber king 2400 or the WM Lt40 but starting out could not see the investment. By the time I buy the Lynn parts to build one, Id have as much in it as I have with this package deal. I all most bought the NW 36" cut but had problems dealing with the rep and his way of pricing the extras. All the options on the NW - they have figured out and look really nice, custom fit. But each part of adding is pricy, to me. So I bought this one and adapted to ideas I had to work out extras I need. The 285 is same as 280 except the 285 is a trailer package, an extra 2 grand depending on the engine size. They go from 9hp -25 and at the time I bought mine they only had one ready with the 20.5 hp
I can say it seems to have enough power. I cant imagine using one of those small motors on a saw mill, Id never get any thing done.

jtimbermill

Hello fellow sawyers I am new to this forum and I know this is several years past the original post but I have been looking at saw mills for several years now and only recently came across the Timbery sawmill.  There is very little information out there on this saw and after doing much research the m285 is the saw I have chosen and would like to give my opinion to those who might be looking so far my review is that both the sales guy Jerry and the company have gone above and beyond to make me the customer happy no questions asked the service is outstanding.  Although I have limited experience sawing, what little I have done the saw has preformed past my expectation there were several reasons why I chose this over the others first the price next the features such as the sawdust ejects opposite of the operators so I don't fill my shoes up with saw dust next the frame seemed very sturdy and I like the idea of both the water and the clutch ingauges at the same time with a push of the lever. I am excited to get to sawing my primary need for this is timbers for a shop on my property not trying to make a living but already I have people making a project lists If anyone has questions about the timbery or why I chose the M285 I'll be happy to try and answer and update as to with photos and reviews.

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

wheels18

I've an opportunity to buy a lightly used Timbery m285 with loading ramp/winch,  toe boards, shingle jig, etc

Anyone been using this mill ? Pros/cons?

Patrick NC

Quote from: wheels18 on September 15, 2020, 09:56:11 PM
I've an opportunity to buy a lightly used Timbery m285 with loading ramp/winch,  toe boards, shingle jig, etc

Anyone been using this mill ? Pros/cons?
I have a m100. Cuts good. Wood-Mizer sells them so you get wm support. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Thank You Sponsors!