iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

SawyerTed

Eight or ten years ago I had to get new tires on the Farmall and Massey Ferguson.  The Farmall got new rims.  The old rims were the original rims.  They were patched and had tubes but finally rusted through. 

The shop I bought the tires from sent a service truck and they did all the tires at one time in the drive in front of my shop.  The cost was $85 for the service call.  Eight tires were $$$$ of course. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Machinebuilder

I had to replace the rims, tubes and one tire on my David Brown last year.

As I recall

Rim and tube, new methanol, $600
Tire, rim, tube, mostly new methanol, $2100

That's having the coop service truck come and do it in my driveway.

the tire was about $600, the rims were rusted out from the calcium fluid. Methanol is supposed to be less corrosive.

I kept the old rims and tire, the rims i made a fire pit with and haven't done anything with the tire yet.
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

bigblockyeti

Quote from: Machinebuilder on January 04, 2023, 08:28:43 AM
the tire was about $600, the rims were rusted out from the calcium fluid. Methanol is supposed to be less corrosive.
Isn't beet juice supposed to be the latest, greatest thing?  Thick but heavy, biodegradeable & non-corrosive if I remember correctly.

Southside

Yes, and MEGA expensive. Foam is the ultimate as far as tire durability goes. Heavy and rides rougher, but never fails either. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

bigblockyeti

I was under the impression cast rubber was the ultimate?  I consulted with a recycling firm which did largely roll off containers full of construction debris to be sorted, their off-road only trucks were just regular trucks beat to the point they could never see road duty again.  Punctures were a real problem and foam did ok but once the tire lost cords, it disintegrated.  Cast rubber was the next step, I believe it was expensive but made for a 10r22.5 that weighed well over 300lbs and once the cords started to fail, there was essentially another tire inside the tire.  They rode quite rough.

Machinebuilder

I wasn't offered the option of beet juice, probably due to the cost
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

beenthere

Beet juice if you want more weight in the tire. Otherwise, methanol (windshield washer fluid) is the reasonable way to go. Has worked well for me for 24 years now. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Wlmedley

Antifreeze works well in tractor tires.It's heavy and doesn't hurt rubber or rims.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

jb616

I had mine filled with Rim Guard or beet juice. it was $450 for the two rear tires. I think they took about 60 gallons. 

SawyerTed

WARNING:  Do not use a shop vac with a plastic hose to vacuum the sheetrock dust out of your hair!  The subsequent static discharge will receive your undivided attention!

Don't ask how I know!   :D :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Southside

It's impossible for some of us to even need to do that.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

rusticretreater

WoW, me IQ done be growin every day!
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

moosehunter

"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Don P

Yes but, can you lay on da hands and charge a car battery  ???

thecfarm

This involves my dog.
My dog will greet me every day when I get home. The last 3 feet is nothing but air.  :D
She is a Westie, small dog.
She plays the same way, rough.
OK the dumb part.
She loves to play and jump on me when I get down on the floor with her.
As I was going to lay on the floor with here, she comes running, which she always does. Remember the last 3 feet is nothing but air part?
Oh yea, she does the leap, and somehow, we connected heads as I was laying down on the floor. Made quite the noise too!!!
I think I felt it more than her. She jumped up in her Mother's lap after the crash for some healing time.
I wear glasses and have learned to take my glasses off or she will get them off before we are done.
And the bed. 
If I just sit on the bed, she knows it is play time. She has to get on the bed and raise you know what.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

Quote from: moosehunter on January 03, 2023, 04:11:18 PM
Last winter I was hearing an intermittent clunk when shifting forward - reverse in the back of my Kubota. I looked and couldn't find anything loose. I thought the wheel was loose but didn't see any sign of slop.
Yesterday when I heard it I  decided it's gotta go in the garage so I can figure it out. Lugs were loose. Egged out the holes. New hub and studs/ bolts required. I shoulda put a wrench on it last year when I first heard it!
mh
I feel your pain!  Recently started hearing same noise from my Kubota.  To the shop and there is a cracked hub, probably from my poor maintenance related to torquing the lug nuts and bolts. 
Sawyer Ted I laughed out loud at your shocking revelation, sorry.

SawyerTed

Well as instantaneously painful as it was, I have to laugh.  It is/was funny as funny gets!  I was bending over so when the blinding bolt of static hit my head, I immediately took to my hands and knees :o :o :D :D

I'm just glad there's not video.  The only thing I could imagine being worse, is being tased.   :D

beenthere

Funny, but what was the "dumb" part? Or was this a repeat performance, and that was it? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doc henderson

Ted, I use an air hose to blow the dust out of my hair and clothes.  no shock and i pretty much look like a model with all that hair blowing in the wind.  have to breath the dust later however.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SawyerTed

Quote from: beenthere on January 14, 2023, 07:40:44 PM
Funny, but what was the "dumb" part? Or was this a repeat performance, and that was it?
Forgetting to wear my hat....

Stephen1

Well after lots of years of doing dumb stuff, I thought I would share one from a few months ago. It came to me when I was replying about options for a mill that I need to post here. 
When I bought the new mill it came with only front and rear FAOR. so after a good couple of year and money in the bank I bought the 4 middle ones during covid, took 6 months to get them. 
Easy installation and off I go portable sawing. Well I found It was more work to set up and take down the mill, lots more bending over and crouching down to play with the big safety pins. 
Now the story,
Late November I head to a sawmill job 1.5hrs away. the weather had been crap for days and I had been putting off this job, well the weather broke so I headed over in the morning, a few sprinkles on the way but when I got there the sun came out, we were sawing on the edge of Georgian bay, beautiful site, big waves rolling in all day. We were sawing some great ash logs into 1x6 blanks for flooring. 1800 bd ft. We finished up around 3 and I was just starting to pack up the mill when the sky let go, freezing pellets, rain , sleet , real miserable, but it's okay we are done and I'm going to be leaving. I'm rushing as you can imagine, that was the dumb , but wait for it.....
Fast forward 3 weeks. I pull the mill out of the shop in December to saw some logs that just came in, well low and behold one FAOR is missing, the one at the middle back when you park the head for travel. I was scratching my head and few cuss words as I tried to figure out what happened....did someone steal it ? nope there were the 4 sheared off bolts still in the frame... yep you got it, the last sawmill job, I was rushed in the crap weather and probably didn't lock in the safety pin properly and that leg drop down while travelling home and of course at 60MPH it just sheared off without me even knowing. 
Now you know why I am not fussy about the middle FAOR.  :D
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

firefighter ontheside

That's a bummer.  Was that one of the new ones too?

I can't believe no one has done anything dumb in 2 weeks.  Give me a minute and I'm sure I will do something.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

wisconsitom

Well, my dumbness took place about a week ago, so that'll fit in here; me and son put some expanded metal on tractor brush guard, like many folks do.  Turned out pretty good for a couple at-best part time fabbers.  Due to time of year I'm having to paint this at home.  Not ideal, but getting it done.

Was in fact all done, several coats of Bobcat orange...when I notice, there's bits of metal overhanging 2 of the bolt holes....just enough I didn't immediately notice it, but enough that no way those bolts would have gone in.  

So out comes the grinders and cutter, fixing stupid mistake, and get the paint back out...
Ask me about hybrid larch!

firefighter ontheside

That doesn't sound too bad.  Glad you were able to mitigate.  My tractor had expanded metal on the grill guard when I bought it.  Surprising they don't just do that from the start.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!