The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: firewood processor  (Read 1696 times)

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
Re: firewood processor
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2020, 05:08:13 PM »
The K.I.S.S. Principle applies to firewood machines 😉🙂😎. You need to ask yourself if you want to build a firewood processor or process firewood.  I bought a machine and went to work 🙂. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline cascades

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2020, 07:37:38 PM »
Thanks for all the great advice guys.

I guess half the fun/ point is the project haha. I can build a machine with 20k worth of parts and my nouse. Wouldnt get much change out of 100k to buy a machine ready to go where i'm from. Nothing comes close to the buzz when all your hard work pays off and you see those bits of wood start piling up, without having to touch em. The time I spent building it will soon pay off because it all of a sudden takes 10x less time to produce a ton of wood. Adds up quick when i'm doing a a few hundred ton a year.

So Im thinking ill have to run 3 pumps. 1 for split, 1 for saw, and 1 for all the auxiliary functions. i'm thinking ill need around a 150 horse diesel, hopefully i can find a tri drive setup for the pumps sometime in the next few months. 

Open vs close centre i'm not sure about. I cant get my head around it yet, unsure if the extra cost is worth it either. Ill do a bit of research. Why i'm hoping to find a schematic for a professional one, help me visualise how it all works. 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2020, 07:47:53 PM »
In open center you have a constant circular flow at almost zero pressure,from the tank to the pump to the valve and back to the tank.  When you move the valve you are blocking the path back to tank and simultaneously revealing the path to the cylinder or hydraulic motor.  The blockage creates resistance to the pumps flow and pressure rises until the load moves or the relief valve pops to prevent explosion.  

In closed center you have a pump with a swash plate that tilts to vary how much volume comes out of the pump, and in the case of hydrostatics they can also change flow direction on the fly too. So the engine can be at WOT but the pump can put out zero.

Open center is a lot cheaper and simpler for the casual user.  The hydraulic schematic on a skid steer will boggle most people. 

I understand the desire to DIY. Nothing wrong with that.
Revelation 13:11-18

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2020, 08:02:33 PM »
Mike, every do any business with Chuck Lupinsky aka lps.  machinery? It's in your state.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2020, 10:03:07 PM »
No sir.  Friend of yours?

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2020, 10:17:53 PM »
Mike, no, only met him once. He has the largest used sawmill machinery yard in the world. Does sawmill auctions and winds up with tons of stuff. I think they run an open house in December. Thought you might know. To far for me to go.
Back in the day there was a yard like this in southern Vermont. I was like a kid in a candy store at that place. Also young, raising a family and no money. Today every thing is 'woodmiser' and all those places have disappeared.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2020, 08:27:12 AM »
Well now youve got my attention. I wish i knew about it when i was still truckin, i passed clarksburg a few time hauling OSB out and steel beams back. Woulda stopped just to browse all the designs side by side.  Im sure id never buy from a junk dealer.. I was one, i know how cheap they buy and high they sell.

A good thing that came from truckin is all the industrial places i got into.  Ive kept some notes on real good places to pop in with cash, torch and trailer some day.  But thats a ways off.  Got my hands full with parenting and pushing dirt a few more years.  Then few years of figuring out how to pay for a 10k sf slab and tin to go over it.

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2020, 09:18:12 AM »
Mike, so you looked it  up. Everything we need is out there and now that we know where it is why can't we get our projects built?     Thanks for replies.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2020, 09:54:32 AM »
:sigh:

I dunno bud, ive got most of it sitting on pallets right outside and still cant get to it yet.  Life sure has a way of getting in the way dont it?

i googled him and looked at inventory.  No prices, "call."  Thats a salesman's code meaning "the price is so high that if we publish it no one will ever call.  Except the guy who is spending someone elses money and doesnt care about the price- which is exactly who we are looking for."

Offline stavebuyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2020, 02:47:31 PM »
Definitely a sales talker with a northern accent. The yard is mostly scrap stuff that nobody else would bid on at sawmill auctions. Some has been freshly painted. You might score some rooftop chain or deck that would be cheaper to buy than weld up out of new but the machinery I saw was worn beyond its useful life.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2020, 04:42:46 PM »
Yup.  

Ive been the guy that clears everything left in the building the week after the auction.  It is what it is. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Processor Build, Home Made Firewood Processor

Started by Higgo on Firewood and Wood Heating

110 Replies
Last post September 17, 2018, 08:52:41 PM
by hedgerow
xx
Firewood Processor

Started by roadman on Forestry and Logging

13 Replies
Last post September 16, 2009, 09:09:57 PM
by roadman