iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Insulation for fireplace insert

Started by tomalophicon, March 17, 2021, 06:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomalophicon

Hello forum experts, 

I've just installed a new Pacific Energy Neo 2.5 fireplace insert into an existing masonry fireplace. 
Before the installation, I cut and fitted a sheet of galvanised steel above the stove (into the chimney) to act as a blocking plate, and added kaowool type blanket above it for insulation. 

Since starting to burn (our Autumn is upon us in Australia) I've seen some loose bits of the koawool coming out of the blower vents and have decided to remove the Kaowool for the safety of my family. 

Is anyone aware of a safer alternative insulation that I can use? 

I have also considered sticking automotive type heat shield to the underside of the blocking plate as an alternative to insulation above the blocking plate. 

I would really appreciate any suggestions. 

Our climate never really dips below 15f in the dead of winter with highs usually around 50f.

Tom.

jmur1

Hi Tom:
I used fiberglass pink around mine and have for many years.  Seems to work OK.
jmur1
Easy does it

tomalophicon

Thanks jmur1,
Are you talking ordinary insulation that isn't rated for high temps?
Cheers,
Tom.

jmur1

Hi Tom:
Thats right just the standard pink batt.  Its fireproof by design.  Make sure if there is a paper side to it - that is removed!  Not sure why you would get any pieces of insulation showing up in the living space; is there a problem some where?  The draft should be up the chimney.  Is the fan system drawing in from the right space?
jmur1
Easy does it

tomalophicon

Thanks. I've found something over here called Earthwool and the manufacturer claims it's safe in this situation, plus it's not carcinogenic. 

I believe there are some bits of the old insulation falling out from the install, where the blocking plate doesn't sit totally flush to the wall. I would feel better removing it. 

Everything else is working as it should as far as I can see.

Thanks again for the help.

Tom.

Don P

My guess from the names is both your kaowool and earthwool are rock wool, mineral based insulation, basically the same thing and made for hi temp. It sounds like the real issue is finding out why you are pulling from that chamber, it shouldn't be, that sounds like it could be a potential monoxide issue.

tomalophicon

Quote from: Don P on March 19, 2021, 08:57:40 AM
My guess from the names is both your kaowool and earthwool are rock wool, mineral based insulation, basically the same thing and made for hi temp. It sounds like the real issue is finding out why you are pulling from that chamber, it shouldn't be, that sounds like it could be a potential monoxide issue.
The earthwool is glass but with no added inflammable components.
I will investigate further with the dealer.

scsmith42

I would be concerned regarding the galvanized sheet. If it gets too hot it can give off poisonous fumes.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

uplander

Quote from: scsmith42 on March 21, 2021, 09:40:26 PM
I would be concerned regarding the galvanized sheet. If it gets too hot it can give off poisonous fumes.
I wish we could get an answer on this for what temperature this is dangerous at. This winter i discovered a small hole in my furnace black smoke pipe not far from the appliance. When i poked at it, it got bigger. Maybe Quarter sized. I put a tempoary patch of galvanized ductwork over it until i could fix it properly the next day.
 When i took it off it looked like the galvanizing hadn't changed or discolored at all.
I know it saw temperatures of around 400 degrees and we had no problems.
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

Don P

If it goes buff and yellow you're cooking it. I kind of doubt you'll get there on a blocking plate. I can burn it off a smoke pipe for 8' or more but I run em hot.

jmur1

I found this info.  My experience with galvanized chimney pipe is to avoid.  I have switched over to stainless flex and straight pipes on two fireplaces.  They stand up to cleaning much better and the extra money has been well worth it.

<b
r>

jmur1
Easy does it

tomalophicon

Thanks for that info. I assume we're safe here with a blocking plate. Flue pipe is all stainless. 

Earthwool is doing its job and there's no evidence of burning or melting. There's also no evidence of anything getting shot out of the vent. Maybe it was residual from the install (the kaowool was kind of flaky) or in my imagination. 

Either way I'm checking this job off the list. 

Cheers for the input.

Thank You Sponsors!