iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Board edger

Started by dean herring, April 24, 2021, 09:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dean herring

I am planning on adding an edger to my operation and was needing someone information on which one. Thank you all for the help😎😎
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

customsawyer

Edgers are like sawmills or pickups. I've had four different brands of edgers. There is things I like better about each of them over the other brands, and things I don't like about each of them. You'll have to pick the one that suits you best.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

redbeard

Cooks has a newer design with there edgers, normally one fixed blade with one blade adjustable.
Now both blades adjust.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

stavebuyer

My favorite portable was an old Morgan Little Champ with a Honda. They went out of business but I see some relatives have reincarnated a new Little Champ with electric motors.

I had good luck out of my Cooks and it had many features and large capacity for the price point. 

Woodmizer's EG200 is very reliable but has less width capacity than the standard LT40 can saw and split blades were after market only. Best I can recall it would not handle 8/4 sawn full + for resale as 8/4.

The Riehl looks to stand alone at its price point for features and value.

YellowHammer

I've got a 20hp twin blade Baker with twin lasers and love it.  It will cut a 3 inch thick piece of red oak as fast as it will feed.  It cuts very straight, also.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

He's also got a custom made, three piece, pool cue.... Don't mess around with Slim!!
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

pineywoods

Quote from: dean herring on April 24, 2021, 09:39:12 PM
I am planning on adding an edger to my operation and was needing someone information on which one. Thank you all for the help😎😎
Dean, I know where there is a local edger hiding in the weeds unused. Don't know what brand, I'll check it out.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

dean herring

Thank you all. Even though the Woodmizer won't cut 2" red oak will it do good on 2" pine. Have a lot of 2x10 and 2x12 to cut.
If anyone has a Cooks anywhere fairly close I would like to come see it operate.  
If I read it right it will cut up to 4" thick🤔🤔. Not doubting but would like to see it for myself.
Mr. Piney if the one in the weeds is fixable I would like to see it 😎😎
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Southside

I believe the WM will cut 2" material, he was saying it won't cut something that will finish at 2", ie 2 3/8" rough
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

Thomas Bandsaw mills in Maine makes a great edger
Worth looking into.
My next one will come from them.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

I would go electric , but in the Notheast it's very hard to access 3ph power.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!