The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Carbide tipped bandsaw blades  (Read 4049 times)

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
Re: Carbide tipped bandsaw blades
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2022, 03:02:49 PM »
To answer your question I ran them on my 35 which has 19" wheels on it. Got around 2,000 to 3,000 BF out of them before they would break. Maybe they would run longer on my 70 with bigger diameter wheels.

I liked them, but for me they didn't pencil out. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2022, 03:33:44 PM »
I used one so far, to saw about 4500 sf of cedar from power poles, lt70. So it lasted at least that long.  1-1/2Ē, .045. 195Ē turbo 7.

Liked it so much got 5 more.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2022, 07:31:23 PM »
Finally some others making some noise about the carbides. Iím amazed at how flat they cut and how much less fuel Iíve used. We will see when they start to decline or break. I think if they break they can be welded if it was were the weld was

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2022, 07:47:40 PM »

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2022, 08:13:26 PM »
I think if they break they can be welded if it was were the weld was

If they break at the weld, that suggests a faulty weld, and the blade could be repaired. 

But carbide bands usually go via metal fatigue starting micro cracks in the gullet all the way through the band. One of these eventually grows and the band breaks. If you repair that spot there are 100 more cracks already formed and the next break is probably only minutes away. 

When you think about the amount of flexing the band has experienced before the carbides get dull, that might be 5 sharpens on a normal band, and if they start breaking some time after that, well they were basically worn out. 

I think WM will resharpen their carbide bands once to extend their life, but after that they are so likely to break it's not worth touching them. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2022, 09:42:03 PM »
I guess about 25 years ago I had a guy ask if I could re-saw some 24" wide kiln dried tropical hardwood.  Nobody with a shop bandsaw had the re-saw capacity.  A standard band would only cut into it about an inch. 

At that time WM and TK couldn't even spell carbide.  Laguna sold a carbide band called the "Resaw King".  It was actually manufactured by Uddehom, a Swedish company that has been in business forever making high quality bands.  I bought a couple of bands for my old sawmill and re-sawed the tropical hardwood without problem.  I liked the bands so much I bought a couple to use on the shop bandsaw for re-sawing.  Still have one.  Excellent finish and easy cutting.

Since the bands were so expensive, I bought a Lenox tension gauge to insure I was at exactly the right tension.  Laguna would re-sharpen until nothing was left of the carbide.  If a band breaks its toast, usually you can see a bunch more small cracks in the gullet.

I did order a 1-1/2" WM carbide band about 3 weeks ago to surface kiln dried wide slabs.  Hasn't showed up yet.  For the logs I saw, I'll stick with standard bands as they are economical and do a good job for me.   
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2022, 12:08:26 AM »

I have welded enough to know that when a weld fails it's a perpetual problem if all you do it re-weld that spot, couple that with the flex requirement of a band and I don't think that will work out well.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2022, 01:56:12 PM »
My WM carbide band showed up yesterday.  The carbide tips are the smallest I've ever seen, almost takes a eye loupe to see them.  I would think it would only be possible to get one re-sharp, if that out of them.

Only plan on using it to surface slabs, maybe one shot use will be ok. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2022, 02:14:59 PM »
My WM carbide band showed up yesterday.  The carbide tips are the smallest I've ever seen, almost takes a eye loupe to see them.  I would think it would only be possible to get one re-sharp, if that out of them.

I have the diamond stone to resharpen the carbide blade. I went through 20 blades one year. You can resharpen once then they break. It just was not economical o keep running them. I got tired of hitting metal and they cost me $165 Canadian per blade. I now keep them to flatten slabs. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2022, 06:06:39 PM »
I had 3 boxes of them, a lot of $$$$$$$$ And have the wheel to sharpen them. But they get all twisted up on the tooth after a while. Then if you hit something , Now they wash board the cut.
IMO good for re-sawing a cant in to 1or 2"
I have a pile in a corner some place.
They would cut bad before breaking.
Maybe I push the blade too much.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2022, 07:19:15 PM »
My WM carbide band showed up yesterday.  The carbide tips are the smallest I've ever seen, almost takes a eye loupe to see them.  I would think it would only be possible to get one re-sharp, if that out of them.

Pony up and get a Timberking carbide . You wonít be disappointed!

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2022, 07:23:17 PM »

I have welded enough to know that when a weld fails it's a perpetual problem if all you do it re-weld that spot, couple that with the flex requirement of a band and I don't think that will work out well.  
From talking to Timberking quite awhile back their guy that sharpens or somebody they knew was welding them back together at the original weld

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2022, 09:11:49 PM »
From your picture the TK has probably 5 times the amount of carbide on the tip.  They don't sell them in 1-1/2" wide which is all I run now.  I got the Woodmizer because its 1-1/2" wide. 

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2022, 08:17:20 AM »

I never said they didn't cut great, they saw beautiful smooth and flat. It is the long term cost that did not make them worth using daily.
I would think they are all made in the same factory. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2022, 02:51:25 PM »
From your picture the TK has probably 5 times the amount of carbide on the tip.  They don't sell them in 1-1/2" wide which is all I run now.  I got the Woodmizer because its 1-1/2" wide.
They are indeed impressive looking and performing!! I thought they did have them  as guys are running  them on the big dog 2520 Timberking 65hp king

Offline longtime lurker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2022, 05:01:23 PM »
This may or may not be of use to any of you but many years ago I used to work in a mill that had a big (6 or 8 inch) band resaw that ran carbide tipped bands. Those big bands you can sharpen/set/hammer them numerous times then send the band out to get it re-tipped with new carbide inserts.

Anyway they went through a phase when the band bodies were failing prematurely. That was linked to operators running the carbide bands too blunt, because they'll still keep cutting okay when blunt. The solution was to put a big easy to read ammeter on the saw to measure current draw, once you needed more then x amps of current draw to maintain a set cutting speed it was changeout time. Premature breakages became a non-issue.

Maybe if you have a way to measure cut speed vs revs you could do the same with an engine driven bandmill. 

I'm very familiar with carbide tipped circle saws and know that you'll get best tip life (and better finish on the product) from frequent light sharpening rather than running them to dead blunt and grinding a heap off them.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2022, 08:41:12 PM »
Run it! Run it!!! Timberking carbide still going strong. Absolutely no comparison to a regular one!

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2022, 05:34:02 PM »
Run it no more! Blew the Timberking carbide! Seemed like I had run out of tension on the band. It was paper thin up against the shroud cover when I opened it up I noticed. Blew it or not. Carbides are going to be the wave of future on the saw bands in the future I bet.  Iíll take a carbide any day up against a box and half or two of regulars any day!

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2022, 12:08:12 AM »
Went back to regular blades and what I learned is I will never buy a regular blade again. Carbides just cut so good and last so long!!

Offline longtime lurker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2022, 02:48:58 AM »
Nevermind. How do you delete a comment here anyway???
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Carbide tipped blades

Started by stumpy on Sawmills and Milling

2 Replies
Last post February 22, 2005, 07:06:31 PM
by FeltzE
xx
carbide tipped circular blades

Started by welderskelter on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post August 14, 2012, 05:58:10 AM
by ladylake