iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carbide tipped bandsaw blades

Started by KWood255, May 07, 2021, 07:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boonesyard

We got a carbide to try for a specific need a couple months ago. I've used it 5 or 6 times to re-flatten big slabs after they come out of the kiln. I level them up best I can on the mill bed, just like a router sled, then set the saw to the lowest point and go. Flip the slab to the flat side and do it again. It has met my expectation, does a nice job. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Larry

Is the slab smooth enough to go right to sanding? 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ohioian

I come from the steel cutting industry 34 years, the last 10 years evaluating carbide bandsaw blades. They definitely have a place cutting any material, but the equipment must be able to run high rpm's and faster feed rates. 
 Better finish and if you're after production a hell of a lot more throughput, but high risk if the material is soft or dirty. 
 MK Morse was testing a triple cut tooth configuration for wood a few years not sure if they ever marketed it, but would be interested to see if it cut.
 If my WM was would go fast enough I would run.

Walnut Beast

Timberking Carbide blades! Rubbed shoulders with the boys at Timberking today. Great guys as always! Guys are really liking the carbide bands. So I'm ready to use them on the old gold. Wow!! Did a double take at the truck stop restroom. Individual stalls with full blown rear end cleaner with massage and wow 😂😂

ladylake

How much do those cost from TK, what size.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Walnut Beast

1 1/4 x .042 x 14'6" x 7/8    130.00 bucks or 115.00 bucks each for box of six

boonesyard

Quote from: Larry on March 23, 2022, 01:37:24 PM
Yes it is. Went right to our Rotex sander and worked up from there. I went pretty slow with the blade when skim cutting because I wanted it to stay flat. Generally when going that slow a normal blade will leave a lot of chatter, not near as much with the carbide.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

xlogger

Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 24, 2022, 06:02:17 AM
Have you had a chance to use them yet? I've got one from WM and just started using it to flatten slabs on mill. I've got over 100 drying waiting on sales and kiln drying. I need to order more for spares.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Walnut Beast

Quote from: xlogger on March 26, 2022, 07:14:17 AM
Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 24, 2022, 06:02:17 AM
Have you had a chance to use them yet? I've got one from WM and just started using it to flatten slabs on mill. I've got over 100 drying waiting on sales and kiln drying. I need to order more for spares.
Not yet. It's finally drying out around here after much needed rain. I'll keep you posted. I'm sure others can also but I can cut paper thin sheets with the Timberking Ultra blades they have. Timberking says no need for a debarker  to  run their carbide blades. They run fine 

xlogger

Quote from: Percy on May 07, 2021, 08:53:48 AM
I use WM's carbide 7 degree turbos(I think). They work very well. I mainly cut logs from a loggers setting which means metal strikes are rare. I have the diamond stone to sharpen them and touch up a few but mainly I just run them till they are dead or starting to wave. When Im cutting a stringy wood such as Sika spruce, the feed rates are slower than a 747 but still pretty good as blade changes aren't nearly as often. I've done guzzintas(math) and the carbides are almost as cheap to run as the doublehard 747 but when I factor in the time saved on blade changes , its probably about even costwise. Buy one and try it.... ;D
I understand Danny and Robert along with others use carbide blades to flatten slabs and I've started using them more lately also. I've got a WM 250 sharpener. Do you just run till dull and get another one or is there a stone worth while to sharpen? 
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

terrifictimbersllc

Woodmizer sells a diamond wheel 5" for the BMS250 to sharpen carbide blades.  It only grinds the face of the tooth. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Walnut Beast

WOW!!!!  Timberking carbide blades are amazing!  Absolutely night and day difference!!! From the flatness and the engine not pulling down in the hard old crotch wood. 

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Larry on March 23, 2022, 01:37:24 PM
Absolutely! Butter smooth. I'm very impressed. Here is a close up. You run your hand across that and it's smooth and flat as glass. I was going the same speed as the regular ones. Fairly slow. I probably could have went much faster for sure. 

Walnut Beast

Here to make some noise and run my mouth 😂! Timberking carbides are amazing!!! The only reason I see for not running them is what the big boys said about metal in the trees. Thinking of what big time Southside said about the sawdust when I took the picture. Nice and coarse! In my opinion there is absolutely no comparison from a regular band to a carbide. From the jet stream of nice and coarse sawdust, cutting absolutely flat through old hard walnut, butter smooth finish to the motor running night and day difference. I'm a believer!!!

Walnut Beast

The carbides keep humming away on dead walnut that's been down for years and hard as a rock. But flat as a pancake

Southside

To answer your question I ran them on my 35 which has 19" wheels on it. Got around 2,000 to 3,000 BF out of them before they would break. Maybe they would run longer on my 70 with bigger diameter wheels.

I liked them, but for me they didn't pencil out. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

terrifictimbersllc

I used one so far, to saw about 4500 sf of cedar from power poles, lt70. So it lasted at least that long.  1-1/2", .045. 195" turbo 7.

Liked it so much got 5 more.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Walnut Beast

Finally some others making some noise about the carbides. I'm amazed at how flat they cut and how much less fuel I've used. We will see when they start to decline or break. I think if they break they can be welded if it was were the weld was

Walnut Beast

Ianab

Quote from: Walnut Beast on April 17, 2022, 07:31:23 PMI think if they break they can be welded if it was were the weld was

If they break at the weld, that suggests a faulty weld, and the blade could be repaired. 

But carbide bands usually go via metal fatigue starting micro cracks in the gullet all the way through the band. One of these eventually grows and the band breaks. If you repair that spot there are 100 more cracks already formed and the next break is probably only minutes away. 

When you think about the amount of flexing the band has experienced before the carbides get dull, that might be 5 sharpens on a normal band, and if they start breaking some time after that, well they were basically worn out. 

I think WM will resharpen their carbide bands once to extend their life, but after that they are so likely to break it's not worth touching them. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Larry

I guess about 25 years ago I had a guy ask if I could re-saw some 24" wide kiln dried tropical hardwood.  Nobody with a shop bandsaw had the re-saw capacity.  A standard band would only cut into it about an inch. 

At that time WM and TK couldn't even spell carbide.  Laguna sold a carbide band called the "Resaw King".  It was actually manufactured by Uddehom, a Swedish company that has been in business forever making high quality bands.  I bought a couple of bands for my old sawmill and re-sawed the tropical hardwood without problem.  I liked the bands so much I bought a couple to use on the shop bandsaw for re-sawing.  Still have one.  Excellent finish and easy cutting.

Since the bands were so expensive, I bought a Lenox tension gauge to insure I was at exactly the right tension.  Laguna would re-sharpen until nothing was left of the carbide.  If a band breaks its toast, usually you can see a bunch more small cracks in the gullet.

I did order a 1-1/2" WM carbide band about 3 weeks ago to surface kiln dried wide slabs.  Hasn't showed up yet.  For the logs I saw, I'll stick with standard bands as they are economical and do a good job for me.   
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Southside

Quote from: Walnut Beast on April 17, 2022, 07:31:23 PMI think if they break they can be welded if it was were the weld was

I have welded enough to know that when a weld fails it's a perpetual problem if all you do it re-weld that spot, couple that with the flex requirement of a band and I don't think that will work out well.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Larry

My WM carbide band showed up yesterday.  The carbide tips are the smallest I've ever seen, almost takes a eye loupe to see them.  I would think it would only be possible to get one re-sharp, if that out of them.

Only plan on using it to surface slabs, maybe one shot use will be ok. 

Stephen1

Quote from: Larry on May 15, 2022, 01:56:12 PM
My WM carbide band showed up yesterday.  The carbide tips are the smallest I've ever seen, almost takes a eye loupe to see them.  I would think it would only be possible to get one re-sharp, if that out of them.

Only plan on using it to surface slabs, maybe one shot use will be ok.
I have the diamond stone to resharpen the carbide blade. I went through 20 blades one year. You can resharpen once then they break. It just was not economical o keep running them. I got tired of hitting metal and they cost me $165 Canadian per blade. I now keep them to flatten slabs. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Peter Drouin

I had 3 boxes of them, a lot of $$$$$$$$ And have the wheel to sharpen them. But they get all twisted up on the tooth after a while. Then if you hit something , Now they wash board the cut.
IMO good for re-sawing a cant in to 1or 2"
I have a pile in a corner some place.
They would cut bad before breaking.
Maybe I push the blade too much.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!