iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can I store a cant?

Started by Rebeldad1, July 30, 2021, 04:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rebeldad1

Being a newbee I gotta ask...

Can I cut logs into cants and store them this way till I figure out what I want to make with them?
Whats the downside?

Thanks in advance for a answer.

alan gage

Cracks and splits are the downside. Usually not a good idea. Lots of info in the archives on this if you wanted to search it.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

tawilson

I had some pine logs I sawed into 12 1/2" by whatever I ended up with last summer. I sawed some up this summer and the the first board off each side wanted to bow and had some checking in it but beyond that it was fine.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Joe Hillmann

It will crack.  You can put in a saw kerf with a skill saw to attempt to control where it cracks.

Some woods will behave better than others.  My limited experience with ash is it will almost split itself in half, yet bass wood may not crack at all.

moodnacreek

If you had big logs free of heart center cants would do better than boxed hearts. The very soft woods like white pine or as mentioned basswood do better than the hardwoods or hard pines.

BandsawBen

I do it with pine and hemlock, works great for me. I cut them oversized. then when a customer wants a specific size, I fork it on the mill, clean it up and slice it to size. Just like your local deil. I find it super fast. They will crack and split. I keep them out of the sun and stacked with  2 in stickers. 

donbj

You can but expect some down grade. Some will check to the center if dried too long and depends what species as well regarding that. Any spiral twist will accentuate down grade.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Sixacresand

Get logs off the ground, protect from sun and rain. Pine: get the bark off ASAP.  Probably just as much work as rehandling cants.  JMO
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WV Sawmiller

I concur. I sawed this cherry log last week that had been down for 7 years but stored up off the ground and we got 150 bf of beautiful heart wood out of it.

Original log

Finished boards. The bark are edged pieces the customer saved and one LE slab he kept intact to make into benches.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Brad_bb

Nope.  You will end up with lower grade boards with checks in them.  Best to cut to the needed size.  Smaller boards will check less(or many times not at all) than a cant.  If you're making boxed heart timbers that's another thing.  Probably fine to do that, but the side wood (the boards removed to get to the timber will be low grade.  Cutting a boxed heart timber slightly oversized to make up for movement is totally fine though.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

btulloh

Are you sawing grade lumber or framing lumber?

For framing lumber and siding and such you'll always need 2x and 1x so you can just saw what the log wants to yield and be ok.  2x4, 6, 8, or whatever, it'll all be needed.  1x whatever the log is suited for. Wide for siding, narrow for battens, 1x6 is always needed for something. 

Grade lumber for furniture is a bit different, but you'll always need 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, 8/4 and the width is usually random anyway depending on what the log will yield. 

Can't go wrong with a good supply of standard lumber, but losing stuff to checks and degraded cants is just lost lumber. 
HM126

jimbarry

I do that. There's some loss on some of the cants. That cost is less than that compared to the cost to peel logs as they come in the yard, or the cost of dimensional lumber that sits not selling. So I cant if I can. :) 

Woodpecker52

I have had good luck with storing cants, logs will rot fast but cants stickered and stacked and top covered will keep for years. Added benefit is I always have timbers ready for sale and I can cut specialty at a moments notice.

Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Magicman

Personally, I would saw and sticker 1X12's and 2X12's.  Later they can either be used as is or "edged" down to 4's, 6's, & 8's.  Any log that will not make 12's, saw 4's or 6's.

Matter of fact, I have 22 twelve foot logs that will very soon be sawed as such.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!