iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What pine is this?

Started by ray299, August 01, 2021, 03:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ray299

Cut this pine two years ago. Noticed it had no sap so saved it. I'm milling it now, cuts easy, light... Wandering what it is and how well it'll handle the outside elements. Is this like cedar? Smells like pine but not strong...
Oh, and the tree was living when dropped.

HemlockKing

Not white pine that's for sure. Possibly red pine ?
A1

ray299

Quote from: HemlockKing on August 01, 2021, 03:14:45 PM
Not white pine that's for sure. Possibly red pine ?
It definitely has a red tint to it...

Don P

Red pine usually has a star pattern of heartwood when looked at from the cutoff end of the log rather than a round circle of red heartwood.

I consider red pine to be very fragrant, pinus resinosa.

melezefarmer

The grain looks like tamarack.

moodnacreek

Quote from: melezefarmer on August 02, 2021, 07:31:27 AM
The grain looks like tamarack.
That would explain why, being an old log, it is so clean.

ray299

cabindoc

Red pine.  If dropped in winter months, sap down.  Most popular pine in the Northeast.
Scott  aka cabindoc  aka logologist at large
Woodmiser LT35 hyd
Kabota MX5400

Don P

Sap doesn't go down  ;) On a sunny winter day a tree with needles is photosynthesizing, ones with green under the bark are making food through that chlorophyll.

cutterboy

Quote from: cabindoc on August 05, 2021, 06:17:23 AM
Red pine.  Most popular pine in the Northeast.
No, White pine.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

snobdds

In Wyoming we would consider that a spruce, not a pine.  Spruce have the shaggy bark...

HemlockKing

All I have are white pine, red spruce, black spruce and white spruce, and I can tell ya that definitely ain't no spruce 
A1

Mapleman

I'm going to stick me neck out here and say based on the look of the bark and the fungus growing on the end and no sap that it  looks like the hemlock I have around here.  What did the needles look like?
"The older I get, the better I used to be."

HemlockKing

We need a pro to verify this lol the confusion is getting out of hand now lol lol 
A1

beav

Maple man is right. Hemlock.

SwampDonkey

If you lift a piece of that scaly bark up, and it is purple-red under there, then it's hemlock. Looking at the knot pattern, no to pine.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

wbrent

Looks like tamarack to me. 

HemlockKing

Between tamarack and hemlock, I'm going with hemlock, I also have tamarack here, the bark scales is much smaller and less ridgey with tamarack
A1

hacknchop

Actually looks more like Jack Pine, bark pattern is right and so is the grain ,haven't got a clue what the latin name is. That's just my uneducated guess.
Often wrong never indoubt

SwampDonkey

p. banksiana is jack pine. One thing to keep in mind, some folks call native evergreens pines, no matter if spruce, pine, hemlock or fir. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beav

On the right side of the photo near the bottom you can see the purple red color on the bark strips cut by the mill. There is a teeny piece showing on the slab on the bottom where it got nicked and shows the same

barbender

Gosh this is starting to look like a Facebook sawing page, I'm just waiting for someone to declare it red oak!😂
It's hard to tell by the picture, the sawn lumber really looks like tamarack. I have no hemlock here, so no idea what that looks like inside. The swirly grain and coloration says tamarack, but tamarack is not a real lightweight wood. 
Too many irons in the fire

WDH

Anybody can just look and guess, but I prefer to look at the defining characteristics and the structure of the wood.  For instance, some softwood species have resin and distinct structures called resin canals to transport that resin. These structures are visible on the end grain with a 10x hand lens.  All species of pine have numerous and prominent (large) resin canals.  Tamarack (genus Larix) also has resin canals but they are not as numerous and they are not as large.  Hemlock does not have resin canals at all.  

So, look closely at the end grain to look for resin canals.  If they are there, the wood cannot be hemlock.  If they are not there, it is most likely hemlock.  If they are there, and if they are numerous and stand out (very easy to see) it is pine.  If they are there but few, scattered, and small (not prominent, it is tamarack.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jpassardi

I haven't seen tamarack growing in my region of CT - not in stands anyway. That looks alot like hemlock to me.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

SwampDonkey

.......and jack pine, unless planted, is a boreal forest tree. ;) None here in natural forest in Carleton County. But NE of here in Northumberland County I can find all kinds of it in pure stands or mixed with black spruce. The planted stuff is crap, the natural stuff where it grew thicker is straight and like poles.

Thank You Sponsors!