iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firepit Tabletop

Started by VB-Milling, November 18, 2021, 09:46:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VB-Milling

My wife had the idea for a cover/tabletop when we finished building our fire pit.

This is what I came up with.  I've built with lumber I've CSM'ed before, but this is really the first project that I took from log to finished project with my BSM.  Made out of paulownia, stainless crown staples and coated trim screws.  Light as a feather!  Boards were sawed at 3/4" and the underside ribbing/struts are 1 1/2" x 2".  Kept the top boards tight to each other as they will shrink a bit.

Been working well so far.  We'll plop it on the next day, after the coals are well cooled.  One thing I noticed that I didn't plan on is that it keeps the ash from blowing around the patio on a windy day after the fire is out.  No more sweeping the ash off the chairs.

HM126

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

Nicely done!  It can double as a out door table in the warm season.

firefighter ontheside

I like it.  No one even know its a firepit.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

kantuckid

Project looks great but Paulownia outdoors, I can't imagine it will last very long given it's extreme softness? 

Some 25-30 years back the U of KY did a project with greenhouse seedlings, etc., and promoted plantations to produce export logs. Fast growth was told to make you money fast- but that died out a long ways back.
Not to reflect on your table top at all but I find the wood not real exciting as do the Asians. I tried carving a piece for some treenware and was last time I messed with it. I have wondered how you'd drop one without breaking the log? 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

VB-Milling

Quote from: samandothers on November 18, 2021, 08:51:27 PM
Nicely done!  It can double as a out door table in the warm season.

Thanks! That was the original idea and I went along with it because it could double as a cover/protector for the pit.
HM126

VB-Milling

Quote from: kantuckid on November 19, 2021, 09:24:09 AM
Project looks great but Paulownia outdoors, I can't imagine it will last very long given it's extreme softness?

Some 25-30 years back the U of KY did a project with greenhouse seedlings, etc., and promoted plantations to produce export logs. Fast growth was told to make you money fast- but that died out a long ways back.
Not to reflect on your table top at all but I find the wood not real exciting as do the Asians. I tried carving a piece for some treenware and was last time I messed with it. I have wondered how you'd drop one without breaking the log?

Its actually fairly rot resistant according to the wood database and my other research...the log I milled these boards from has been on the ground for over 4 years.

I do plan on staining it a cedar tone to match my cedar planter boxes.
HM126

VB-Milling

Neither a firepit, nor a tabletop, nor a firepit tabletop.

Built what appears to be another planter box, but its actually for kindling/firewood storage over by the firepit rather than having to bring wheelbarrows full of wood from across the yard by the shed.

Body is made from cedar and the top is paulownia in the same style as the firepit tabletop.  The inside "floor" is made from pressure treated picket fence offcuts.  I made the box about 6 inches taller, so its definitely the odd man out as far as matching the planter boxes exactly.

HM126

samandothers

Very well executed!  Nice addition to the fire pit area.  Do you have a wood storage rack or bin??

VB-Milling

Thanks @samandothers

I have a fire wood rack on the other side of the yard near the mill.

HM126

samandothers

Very nice and full!  You'll have plenty of wood for the pit given your sawing habit!

VB-Milling

Quote from: samandothers on November 23, 2021, 08:30:06 AM
Very nice and full!  You'll have plenty of wood for the pit given your sawing habit!

Foolishly, I've been giving away more wood and offcuts to neighbors and friends than I've been processing for myself.  I just don't have the time or space for it unfortunately. My natural inclination is to try and sell some of it.  Maybe next season, I can break into the boutique firewood small bundle market.
HM126

samandothers

The scrap from sawing does add up quick.  The bundle idea for extra income seems like a good approach if the cost to enter that business is not too much.

VB-Milling

Quote from: samandothers on November 24, 2021, 09:23:34 AM
The scrap from sawing does add up quick.  The bundle idea for extra income seems like a good approach if the cost to enter that business is not too much.

I would probably bundle them with twine and use my big radial arm saw to gang cut a bunch of at a time, so the cost would be minimal.   Probably too big of a time commitment for what I could charge.  Maybe I'll just stick to squirreling it away or giving it away.

I would like to devise a way to generate some income to offset some mill costs.  A few guys at the Meet & Greet suggested I post up some of my wood and see what kind of interest I get.  I've got a few mantle sized pieces, a few slabs, a couple crotch slabs and the like.  Not sure if there is much of a market for partially air dried wood.
HM126

Poquo

Looks very nice, good use of wood you cut from logs to lumber. 
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

metalspinner

To process slab wood, I drive 4 fence posts in the ground in a square configuration. About 18" square. 

I fill it with the slabs off the mill. When it's full to the top, I cut from the ends with the chainsaw straight down. Keeps me from handling everything more than once. 

I used to have a 660 with 36" bar. The posts set 36" deep would hold a lot of wood!
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!