iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is a cord of kiln dried firewood in upstate South Carolina going for?

Started by fabandfirewood, February 02, 2022, 08:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fabandfirewood

do any of y'all sell or know approximately what the price of a cord of kiln dried wood would be around here? we are interested in building a kiln and want to know if y'all think it is worth it? from what we could tell it was about 100 bucks more a cord.

jimbarry

Not sure abut over there but over here we charge $100 more per cord. That just about covers the utility costs and labour involved to kiln dry. So you don't make much more in the way of net profit, but you do end up selling a quality product and build a good customer base.

Hotrod RLC

stove wood with some moisture in it burns longer and puts more humidity in the air  then dried wood  why use kilm dried  excuse me i got to go put more wood in the stove in our basement the heat radiates up through the house floor dont need to run stove blower water pan on top of stove uses about 3 gal 24 hours / removing ashes about every two days shovel the ashes out from under hot coals stove brick lined holds heat never have to restart  add wood about 4 times in 24 hours  stove will heat 2500 sq ft house  gotta go before i go to sleep  old man running his mouth  8) 8) :D :D

rusticretreater

Kiln dried wood is free of bugs and fungus.  In Virginia, there are several areas that are quarantined for different pests and cankers.  To sell firewood and move it out of those areas, it must be kiln dried and you need to approved by the guvment.

As the wood is drier, the bugs are also not interested in it as much.  You can store the wood safely indoors, say if you have a furnace in the basement.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

jimbarry

Quote from: rusticretreater on February 21, 2022, 08:19:02 PM
Kiln dried wood is free of bugs and fungus.  ...
That's only if the firewood is heat treated for the appropriate amount of time. 

Gary Davis

Hotrod RLC

forceing the time i am no longer to cut firewood . i am very fortinute to have stored 3 large trailer loads in old tobacco barn one load as aux heat or electrical outage will last all winter in ky people are selling mini pick up loads of firewood for unbelievable prices  . my neibor bought a load couple years ago i think 85 dollers  snow was in his driveway so we loaded all the truck load in my 6x4 john deer gator and hauled to his home  i see ny has baned burning firewood  anyone make any sence in what is going on  :P

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Hotrod RLC on February 22, 2022, 10:45:37 AM
....  i see ny has baned burning firewood  anyone make any sence in what is going on  :P
Just to be clear, NY has NOT banned burning firewood. It was a suggestion from the Fed which the state is not pursuing at this time. That was discussed in another thread with many links and documentation, but unfortunately it turned political and was put in the restricted section so many folks can't read it. Sorry.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!