iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT50 Up/down electric brake question

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 12, 2022, 09:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

So we came up with a squeal yesterday which we traced to the electric brake on the gear reduction unit of the up/down feed on the LT50. It had been getting worse through the day. It sounds like a rubber gasket squeal or something, not metal on metal. It's not a 'sturdy design' just an aluminum strap bolted with adjustment nuts on one side. It looked to me like it was not really aligned properly when built (240 hours on the mill). I moved those adjustment nuts out a bit and it got better, in fact, nearly gone.
 My questions is, has anyone opened up that little brake can to see what's inside? Is it repairable if there is a problem? The boss has one on order to pick up in Boonville, but that's in August and I want to have my head in the game if it fails before then and I have to get wood out. How often do these things fail? I have never heard mention of it here. From a design standpoint I am not entirely sure I understand why it is even there except to cut down on the drift.
 Any knowledge sharing would be appreciated.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Stephen1

I'll follow along to see the answer. popcorn_smiley
But then I just realised that you said 250 hrs. I do not think most of these mills are any different when new. I had trouble when new, I had adjusted the drivebelt, but my brake started giving me trouble as I had not adjusted it correctly each time. Once I started adjusting the brake when I adjusted the drivebet tension, life was better on the Mill.  Drive belt tension and brake adjustment go hand in hand, and you need to adjust your drive belt tension every week when new is what I found. So the brake needs the same attention to deltail. It is better now at 900 hr mark. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Old Greenhorn

I think you may have misunderstood. You are talking about the main drive belt I think. I am referring to the up/down gearbox motor brake. Very different things. I don't think LT40's have this. I think they only put it on the LT50 and up with the bigger engines because the extra weight causes too much drift for the accuset or something along those lines.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Stephen1

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on May 12, 2022, 09:50:37 PM
I think you may have misunderstood. You are talking about the main drive belt I think. I am referring to the up/down gearbox motor brake. Very different things. I don't think LT40's have this. I think they only put it on the LT50 and up with the bigger engines because the extra weight causes too much drift for the accuset or something along those lines.
I did misunderstand. I'll still follow along though. lol
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!