iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What am I getting myself into

Started by kelLOGg, September 19, 2022, 06:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

with these spruce logs? All have small knots, two are straight and the third is curved and a rotted broken off large limb even though the pic doesn't show it. I know a lot has been said about the difficulty in sawing spruce (pitch buildup and wavy cuts around knots) but these are minimal in the knot department, so I am optimistic. Customer wants 3/4" boards - a lot of cutting. Max log diameter is 24"

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

kelLOGg

DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

taylorsmissbeehaven

That ought to turn out some interesting lumber Bob. Fair amount of boardfootage too! The third log should be interesting. Do you know what the lumber will be used for? Be safe and knock it out, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Gere Flewelling

I think your MP32 is up to the task.  Keep the blades sharp and you will be fine.  I don't have high hopes for the third log, but you might get some straight boards out of the opposite side of the knot.  Knot side will be some short boards though.  I have no doubt you will make some great boards out those old Christmas trees.  Good Luck!
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

kelLOGg

Thanks, Gere and Brian. I plan to cut the third log in two. Customer is using the boards for paneling in his barn/shop so he is OK with some shorter boards. 

jpassardi

That should work well for a shop. Does he intend to air dry them first, then straighten or is he ok with uneven gaps if put up green?
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

barbender

Those don't look like spruce to me.

I charge 1" at a minimum. I'll cut ΒΌ" if that's what the customer wants, but it is charged at 1" volume.

Only way to know how they'll saw is to open them up👍
Too many irons in the fire

WV Sawmiller

I saw spruce pretty regularly and have no real problems. Use a sharp 4* blade and take your time and those should turn out just fine.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

GAB

Quote from: barbender on September 19, 2022, 09:32:13 AM
Those don't look like spruce to me.
barbender:
I'm not the best at tree identification, especially from log pictures, however those logs look like red pine to me.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

kelLOGg

I've never sawn spruce before and I didn't know it grew this far south. Here is a pic of foliage growing off a sprig. It was quite green last Wednesday (14 Oct) when the logs were dumped at the mill. 

What's the verdict?

NE Woodburner

Those needles look like hemlock to me...

terrifictimbersllc

Lower right,  is that a shade of red where the bark has been chipped a bit? That would go with Hemlock
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

47sawdust

Hemlock is easy sawing,just very heavy. 1'' boards will not be a problem. Prone to splitting when being hand nailed after it dries.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

barbender

That looks like hemlock. I don't have hemlock in my area, but I was in Michigan once and saw quite a bit of it. In my mind it looked like pine with balsam needles🤷‍♂️
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

kelLOGg

I will tell my customer tomorrow it's hemlock. If he nails it up green will it split when dried? 

Southside

Did that come out of the mountains or local? The local stuff I have sawn can be a bit shaky and likes to peel apart at the growth rings I have found. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ventryjr

I've been sawing for 2 years and almost only milled hemlock. It's heavy when it's wet.  And I think the "shake" has been pretty noticeable on the butt of the logs. A dozen or so logs have had it in the last 2 years. Still makes nice paneling! 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

kelLOGg

I'm rather sure it's local but I'll ask tomorrow. 

Old Greenhorn

Around here, hemlock that comes off the high ground of the hills has a lot of shake. The stuff from lower down is pretty good, which is why most folks around there think the problem is exacerbated by the higher winds.
 I mill it off and on. Mills fine green and is indeed heavy stuff. Never thought of it for finish wood. It does hold up better than pine for outdoor exposure. I have an order to start on soon for 6x6's 14'+ long, not really looking forward to humping that stuff. ;D Gonna need somebody tailing on that job.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

47sawdust

Bob, If nailed up green it will not split when it dries. 
I have a 48 year old shed for proof.
If the wood is sound it will make very nice boards.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Gere Flewelling

Hemlock logs are quite interesting.  I sawed a fair sized whack of it this summer for BIL to use for rafters in a hay barn he is building.  Most of the but logs had black rings in parts of them.  Any where there is the black rings is an area that will fall apart when in lumber form.  Fortunately we were only making 2x6"s that were actually 5 1/2" wide.  I was able to saw around the rings on the bigger logs.  I think that when cutting hemlock into logs, one should go up 5-6' from the base of the tree before cutting the first log.  I seems to be where the shake is the worst around here anyway.  I hate to waste lumber, but I suppose it is better to waste in log form than to saw it out and then not be able to use it.  I have a small area in my woods that have some hemlock that doesn't seem to have that shake issue in the few logs I have cut out of there.  I can't explain why that area produces the healthier logs, it just seems to.  The logs I sawed this summer came from an area that is less than a quarter mile away from my woods and most every logs had some in it. ???  It is very heavy when first cut.  My father (he was a builder years ago) always said, "you want to nail that stuff up when it is green and plan on getting splashed in the face while driving nails".  He never had a chance to use a power nail gun.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

kelLOGg

The hemlock tree was cut locally. 

Menagerie-Manor

Quote from: kelLOGg on September 19, 2022, 06:24:14 AM
with these spruce logs? All have small knots, two are straight and the third is curved and a rotted broken off large limb even though the pic doesn't show it. I know a lot has been said about the difficulty in sawing spruce (pitch buildup and wavy cuts around knots) but these are minimal in the knot department, so I am optimistic. Customer wants 3/4" boards - a lot of cutting. Max log diameter is 24"

I cut up 2 fresh downed 18" spruce logs into 2x4's and some 1" thick planks last Saturday and blew thru it with a fresh blade, ran the water/soap drip and had no issues at all.
If you come to a fork in the road take it.....

Woodland Mills HM126
Yanmar YM2310D
Stihl 031AV
Stihl MS251

kelLOGg

It does saw nicely and the wood looks great and certainly has no stress. Here's a stack of 3/4" x 9s.

Thank You Sponsors!