iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

High Volume Hardwood Mill [Portable?]

Started by 333_okh, September 01, 2006, 01:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

333_okh

I am looking for a mill, preferred that it is semi-portable, theat can process Northwestern Hardwoods such as Madrone and Tanoak.  I would like to make just slabs and or cants.  Can you guys help me with the best solution? I have between $40K-$60K that I can spend if needed.

Percy

Heya Three hunnert and thirty three :D

There are several choices that you could use for your application.

Back in 2003, I purchased a new LT70 which I configured for cutting Hardwoods(Birch mostly). A homebuilt incline conveyor and a WM edger was also in the picture.I was able to consistantly produce 2400 bdft of 5/4(talleyed at 4/4) every day with just one employee.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=3664.msg48416#msg48416
I was also very "green". I had to quit the birch because of inconsistant log supply. If I had kept it up and added another employee so the sawyer(me) could cut continiously for 8 hours instead of doing "other " stuff, I couldda got that up to about 4000 bdft aday Im thinkin. Cutting cants would have been even higher. I am currently cutting spruce beams for bridges and my best day has been 7300  bdft with 2 employees. You will need a forlkift to load trucks/banding equipment/waste management system(it piles up fast at higher productin rates) storage area for lumber/cants, develope an inventory system/yadda yadda. I have around $120,000.00 Canadian invested if you include alla the tools/generators/buildings/sharpeners/chainsaws.

Can be done...production is the key....the buck starts at the sawmill.....if it aint cutting, the money aint commin......I used to cut for a hobby and it was more fun than what Im doing now(fulltime cutting) but I still love it ....time is precious.....
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

getoverit

You probably ought to talk to one of our own FF members, Custom_sawyer.... This is exactly what he is doing and he has and uses a lot of good ideas on how to do high volumn hardwood cutting.

You might want to send him a PM so that he doesnt miss this thread and questions.

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Fletch

Hi there 333.
You might find what you need on the D+L Doublecut sponsers site. ::)
Fletch the ecosaw guy

Bibbyman

Here is a Wood-Mizer LT70 with factory outfeed conveyor and board sorter.

Another view of same unit.  An optional live deck is available too.

We've sawn quite a lot of 8/4 walnut, cherry, hickory, etc. on our LT40 Super. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Ron Wenrich

I think you might want to describe what you mean by high volume mill.  What is high volume for one guy isn't for the next guy.

If you're only interested in sawing slabs and cants, then saw kerf isn't your enemy.  You want something that will go through a lot in the least amount of time, and give you good quality results. 

There are several types of mills to choose from, including dimension mills, swing blade mills, thin kerf band mills and full sized circle mills.  The higher the amount of automation will result in the higher productivity. 

Unfortunately, higher automation also brings a higher price tag.  You can get the biggest bang for your buck in used equipment.  For your budget, you are going to have to break down how much you want to spend on a mill and how much you want to spend on support equipment.  You will also have to have some money set aside for logs.  Give us a few more specifics on what type of operation you're trying to get to. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

333_okh

You guys are very helpful.  I am interested in everything you have to offer since i am newer to this and in the investigation period.  I need something that can process a lot more than a typical portable mill, and it look like somethin similar to the 70 shown.  I need as many options as possible moving forward, but a saw that can handle Pacific Madrone, Tanoak, Oregon Myrtle, and Big-leaf Maple would be preferred.

customsawyer

I run the LT70 and do ok but I don't think I would call it a high volume mill when I am set up next to a mill that produces 150,000 bf per day. I don't know the size of logs that you are working with what I am working with is large logs that is why I get the job. If you don't have to be that portable you might take a look at a end dog scragg mill. I certainly don't want to talk you away from Woodmizer I make my living with one  well actuly two as my wife has just started running my LT40 right beside me. You might want to let us know what you are looking to do with the mill and we might be able to point you in the right direction.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

DanG

333, this is an exciting time for you, choosing a mill and searching for it.  There are some tough decisions to be made, so consider carefully and spend a lot of time just sitting and thinking it over.  $60k seems like a big stack of money, and it is, but you can spend that awfully fast when setting up a new milling operation.

I'm sure you have some sort of business plan in mind, even if it isn't on paper.  Are you planning on having employees, or working alone?  If working alone, as I do, most any of the automated portables can cut a lot more lumber than you can handle in a day's time.  A LT40 Super can keep 3 people about as busy as they want to be.

You will find that your support equipment will have as much, if not more bearing on your production as the mill itself does.  A forklift is an essential item in my opinion.  Ever since I got mine, I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't have one.  I also put a loader on my farm tractor, and it has been a huge boost as well.  I have a circle mill, and before the loader came along I spent more time shoveling than sawing.  Even with my tiny operation, I have a really big sawdust pile.  Bandmills don't have as much of a sawdust problem.

In short, you'll need to think about used equipment, or financing part of it, or both if you're wanting to go the higher production route.  You need to give the marketing end of it a good think, too.  If you don't already have a built-in market, a whole bunch of research and legwork is warranted. 

Also, if you're planning to go full-time at the outset, save back a little of that $60k for groceries.  It is a rare sawyer indeed, who can start off from scratch and make a living immediately.  If you don't have another source of income, such as a working wife or a pension check, keep the day job and start off part-time.

Doing a lot of your thinking "out loud" here on the ForestryForum will help a lot, too.  Whatever you're wondering about, there is somebody here who has been through it and can give you guidance. 
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Brad_S.

I agree "high volume" is a relative statement and that support equipment has as much or more to do with productivity than the saw itself.

IMO, a WM LT70 or a Timber Harvester "Hoss" are examples of mid-level production portables that can keep 2 or 3 three men hopping. I would consider the mills in these two links to be examples of high production portable bandsaws and would require quite crew to run them. Both are double cuts.

http://www.heartwoodsaw.com/Model_310.html
http://www.selectsawmill.com/en/3620.htm
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

UNCLEBUCK

There is a portable sawmill for sale on ebay right now , a one man show built on a semi trailer , it looks like a trailer house , all hydraulic , and the best part is thats its a ...............................circle mill  :D 
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

333_okh

I will be sitting in with a guy who had a 40 and a 70 WoodMizer mill.   Iwill be milling softwoods and hardwoods.  Maybe this will give me some ideas.

customsawyer

just a reminder the higher you go in production the more people and epuipment you have to have to handle all of the product. I run two mills, a edger (really need two of them), a backhoe and right now 5 people and are considering adding a 6th. Now when you get all of that epuipment you have the cost of maintance and repairs, with the hired help you have the cost of workers comp (for those who don't know it is quite high for a sawmill) and the added headache of paper work. The bottom line the more you need to make the more you have to make it. And the more you have to have the more you have to make to pay for it. Kind of a mean circle that way. If you are just starting out I would recomend starting slow and easy and let it build and come to you as you learn. IMO
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ron Wenrich

What kind of production do you get with that type of setup when cutting hardwoods?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!