iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First time milling....

Started by ram70, September 07, 2006, 10:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ram70

Hey everyone :)...Ram70 here! For the past 18 years I have been building houses, and kind of got sick and tired of the same thing day after, day...so I decided to go in a different direction, and recently started my "rookie" year of sawyering 8) . a few months back, I bought a mill, and now spend my days sawing anything I can get my hands on. Just wanted to to introduce myself, and show off my new mill... ;D

Tom

Welcome Ram70.

Wow!  and pictures already, too. ;D

ram70

the pictures are the hardest part!! Whew.....I kind of messed it up, but am slowly getting the hang of it!!  ::)

getoverit

Welcome to the Forum Ram70!

Looks like you got the hang of things really fast ;)

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Tom

you did pretty good.

follow the instructions in "behind the forum" and you'll find that you've done a good job.  The recommended software makes it easier too.

brdmkr

Welcome Ram.  Good job with the pics.  We like pics.  Cool mill too.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

kderby

Hey Ram70, welcome to the forum.

I am just into my second year of the mill.  Oy ::) lots of lessons.  No injuries or major breakdowns...yet.  I am working on developing markets for an unusual species.  I think it would make a living (hand to mouth survival) if I were to work hard and just focus on custom milling.  I am hoping the focus on a specific species will allow me to make more money and expand the business.  I don't see it in writing often: sawmilling is a great way of life and a tough way to make a living.  Glad you are here.  Let's see how long we can hang on in this rodeo.

Kendall

thecfarm

Welcome ram70.Nice sawmill.  :) Glad to have you here.Great to make sawdust isn't it?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Swede

Welcome Ram70!
Your story is the same as mine, sick of doing the same thing day after day. Start custom sawmilling was the best I could do for my torn soul.
Go for it but You need a better cover for the blade. ;)

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Cedarman

We have been sawing a niche species (ERC) for 20 years.  Nothing but.  Marketing is everything, besides getting the resource and processing it.  A good website helped us tremendously.  Good luck, this forum is a great place to ask questions and sift for ideas.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

ronwood

Ram70,

Welcome to the forum!

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

bedway

youll love this place Ram70. Im envious, you have a mill and know how to post pictures allready :D More mill pictures please!,,,,,,,,bedway

Gus

"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

mike_van

Hello Ram70, nice job on the pics - Where is Honeoye NY ? 
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Brad_S.

Welcome aboard, neighbor! 8) 8)
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

jack

Smart Move RAM70,
Getting out of the race and finding that your not one of the rats, is the best thing.
that day to day stuff can make life interesting,  NOW when your cutting into that log, you will have nuthing but interesting times,  like a treasure hunt.
MAke sawdust and have fun,, Btw  what speed are those spares running the blade at?  thot they were rated at 45Mph?  LOL.  Keep yer fingers, and the guy with the biggest pile of sawdust wins.

JAck
GRAB life by the Belly fat and give it a twist!!!!!

Went from 5 employees to one, sorry to see a couple of them go.  Simplify life... building a totally solar run home, windmill pumps my water, and logs keep me warm.

timcosby

i've done 85 on one of those mickey mouse spares no problems.

Thank You Sponsors!