iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kubota L48

Started by Woodhog, January 26, 2007, 08:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhog

Has anyone on here ever had one of these small Kubota L48 model tractors ..and maybe used it in the woods . I was wondering how it worked for them in the woods..

Thanks

thecfarm

How many hp is that?Hope it's 4wd too.I myself could not get by without at least a 40 hp with the size trees I have and some places I go with it.Just depends on how much time you have or want to spend.A Logrite arch can do wonders behind a small tractor as long as you're not going down a big hill.What do you plan on doing with this tractor?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

David_c

The L48 is made for the construction site, not the woods. Nice TLB though

johnjbc

I have an L48 and have used it in the woods some. Over all it is a good machine. The biggest problem with using it in the woods is exposure. You would need to spend some time making guards to prevent brush and limbs from doing damage. Most newer style tractors seem to have A lot more wiring and linkage than the older style tractors had. That equates to more places for a limb to do damage.
Other than that I would give it a good rating.
If you have question please ask or IM me a phone number and we can talk.

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

DWM II

John has a good point, my four year old tractor has lots of fiber glass some is cracked from stuff hanging onto in the woods. The pwr steering hyd line got kinked as well. If I could go back, I would look for an older model, 4x4 made out of steel with at least 40 hp.
Stewardship Counts!

Woodhog

The HP is 48 on the engine....

I am trying to get something that will be used for a small amount of woods work but also be able to do light construction type stuff, (digging small trenches, landscape work, snow plowing etc..)

I am trying to diversify and get away from the woods more due to the terrible economics of the forestry industy lately. However I still want to be able to cut a load of logs once in a while and pick at some firewood...

It looks much more strongly built than comparable farm type tractors... however it has a Catagory 1 three point hitch that mounts on the back when you take the backhoe off, the hitch has 3300 pounds lift... also the hydraulic flow is much more than most farm type tractors of that size...

scsmith42

Woodhog, it sounds like it would be a good all-around tractor for you.  Seems like every tractor purchase is some type of compromise, unless you have enough $ on hand to buy one specialized for every need.

My favorite tractor here on the farm is the crossover "construction - agricultural" tractor.  It's very similar to the Kubota, but some more HP.  Very practical all around, but I concur with the other posts re that it's not the best tractor for in dense woods for the reasons stated.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

slowzuki

The L48 is a much better choice than any other current farm type tractor for the woods.  The sheetmetal is a lot stronger and it is at least partly beefed for construction work.  Its a good step in the right direction but needs more armour for woods work.

I use my L5030 in the woods but I'm pretty easy on it and use a logging winch with a lot of cable.  I keep my main trails free of slash and am not lazy with the cable.

snowman

Iv'e been logging with a 40hp tractor since last summer.They are NOT skidders, they are NOT armor plated woods machines.As long as you realize this and like slowzuki said, keep your trail clean, don't be afraid to pull line , a little tractor can be a good little log getter.If you want high production, get a skidder, if you want an all around swiss army knife machine that can do anything  well, but nothing great, get a tractor. I've excavated sites for my barn and house with a backhoe attachment, logged, with a fransgard winch, plowed snow and next summer im buying a posthole digger for my tractor. The list of attachments is endless.As for logging, I'm more impressed all the time, it's like logging with something between a horse and a skidder, does clean work like a horse but you can do way more, like a mini skidder.

pineywoods

Snowman you got it right.  The Kubota L series is fine unless you have some extra large logs. I went with the slightly larger M series 2 wheel drive to get the extra capicity on the front end loader. I've skidded out some logs that were too big for my wm LT40. A winch is priceless. Mine is a 10 ton industrial winch mounted on the 3 point and driven by a hydraulic motor.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

fireman05

I have an L4800 series kubota and use it at the sawmill to move logs/lumber with a set of quick attach forks.  I also use it in the woods for skidding utilizing a Farmi 3 point winch and it is an awesome combination!  I harvest the timber that I saw into lumber, kiln dry and process into finished products.  Like others have said...... keep your skidding trails clean, know the limitations of your equipment and don't attempt high production - go easy and it will last!

I am currently doing a management cut on 35 acres of red oak with some butt diameters of the logs being 22-24" across.  I skid the sawlogs out 2-4 at a skid already bucked to the landing depending on the size and come back in for the firewood tops which are skidded out full length to the landing and bucked to length there.

For a small operation, it works well.
Wood Mizer LT40G Manual, Nyle L200 kiln, Logosol PH260 Moulder, Kubota L4300 with Farmi winch

catvet

I have the L39 kubota (39 HP).  I've been using it with my Farmi winch to do some logging here in Vermont.  I keep to the trails for the most part and it seems to work pretty well on my moderately steep slopes.  I have a grapple on front which makes a huge difference for manuvering logs, etc. around.  The L39 will handle up to 2000 lbs or so which means it will lift most logs I have as long as I cut them to reasonable size.  Makes loading the mill much easier.  I've had it since September so I can't speak to how it does in deep snow.  I expect it would have problems.  We have maybe a foot in the woods at this point.
Catvet

Northern Vermont

Riles

I'm looking at a Kubota about the same size. Got any pics? Where did you get the grapple?
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

slowzuki

I had my L5030 out in the woods on the weekend, in the woods it was fine, I had trouble getting up a steep (steeper than 10%) hill that had a 2 ft packed drift at the top, made it up though.  In the fields it was fine too.  I don't have chains on and I just have industrial R-4 tires.

In the fields the belly was dragging about 6" in the snow but still went fine.

Usually I can get around a bit better with a hitch of logs pulled up close to the butt plate but I just had the blower on back.

The first winter I got it we had 2 ft of snow or so on the ground but it was packy, not dry, so I could motor around in it no problem anywhere.

catvet

Quote from: Riles on February 03, 2007, 09:57:12 PM
I'm looking at a Kubota about the same size. Got any pics? Where did you get the grapple?

I got the grapple when I got the Tractor.  Is a JRW manufacturing grapple. 

For some pictures try this link.  It should take you to my blog which describes building a barn for my sawmill.  It should be the September entries which is when I got the tractor. 
http://northvermont.blogspot.com/2006_09_01_archive.html
Catvet

Northern Vermont

Dave Shepard

The L48 is a beast. I have  a Farmi winch for mine and have done a ton of land clearing and tree work with it. I don't hesitate to go in the woods with it. If you are paying attention you won't damage anymore on this than any other non-skidder tractor. The backhoe is the easiest on and off on the market. I use mine in landscaping, light construction and on the farm. Whatever you buy, get the hydro model. L48 and 5030 are hydro only. I also run a six foot rotary mower with mine.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

xtenon

Does the L48 have room for chains on the rears?

I'm about to purchase a tractor (replacing a ~30 hp JD 950) and the L48 tractor/loader seems like the cat's meow.  But I have yet to see or drive one.  (The dealers in the area have plenty of L39s, but not any L48s).  I use a farmi winch to log a bit each winter on our own land (about 100 mostly wooded, hilly acres in western PA).  I need one all-around machine for the woods, around the bandmill, and the home.  We're not far from Lake Erie and can get some deep snow, chains seem like a must.

Dave Shepard

I ran chains on mine for a short time. There is not much room in between the tire and fender. Also the wheels are not adjustable on the L48. If I need chains again, I will probably have some spacers made to set the wheels out about an inch. The L48 and the L39 are two very different beasts. Well the L48 is a beast, the L39 not so much.

As you can see, the tire and fender are pretty close together. You'll have to excuse the dirt on my tractor, it had just spent the winter on farm detail, it doesn't usually look like that.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

xtenon

Thank You Sponsors!