iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Iron

Started by Texas Ranger, March 08, 2007, 10:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

I am looking at a 28-300  20 inch Delta band saw at auction, anyone familiar with it?  Any comment on availability of parts?

Same with a Boyce-Crane wood lathe, big one, 50 some odd inch turning length, and a bout 16" face plate turning.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Larry

Maybe I'm confused but I was thinking the 28-300 was the 14" Delta with a gearbox for wood or metal.  Hard to find and most often expensive.

The 20" Delta goes by 28-3??  They changed the last 3 digits over the years.  Not hard to find but sometimes get expensive as there is a huge demand for that machine.  I posted a picture of a 28-350 few posts down.  I have already been accused of grand theft because of the price I got it for.

In any case you can get most of the parts from ServiceNet.com...that's Delta's part supplier this year.  You can download parts diagrams and sometimes operating manuals from them for free.  You have to create a user name and password to access there site.  There expensive...bearings to re-hab my Delta are $259 from ServiceNet but only $39 from Accurate Bearing.

Don't see much Boyce Crane stuff anymore...don't know if it is my region or what...usually not a big demand for there stuff.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Texas Ranger

Went back and looked, the band saw is a Rockwell 28-3x0, 20 inch throat and about a foot of clearance for cutting.  BIG piece of equipment.

metalspinner

Check to make sure the lathe has the tail stock.  Tailstocks are hard to replace with after market brands.  The banjo assembly (tool rest) is easier to get hold of if your's is missing.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Larry

Ok here is a picture of the one I brought home.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=24268.0

They take a special made ribbed tire only available from Delta.  ServiceNet wants I think $73 each.  Louis Iturra may have a few left and he is getting $66 each.  Person could use a standard flat tire from any supplier at less than half the cost but you would have to crown it.  Really the Delta tire is the way to go if you want the highest quality.

About the only other parts to go bad are the bearings which are available any place.  If you have to re-power there can be a problem with pulleys...but there is a fix for that also.  Since the saw is uni-body construction everything is adjustable.

Two major versions...only real difference is one takes a 141" band and the other takes a 150" band.

I checked prices few weeks ago and found four at ExFactory...they went from around $700 to $2,300 and none appeared to wonderful.

And they ain't making any more of this jewel...I expect they will do nothing but appreciate in the future.

Quality of the saw is far above any of the new import saws.  To get anything better you would have to buy a Northfield, old Tannewitz, or a PM-81.  All three are really hard to find in any kind of decent condition...or expect to shell out the big bucks.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Texas Ranger

This thing is like the one shown, and 3 phase, it will go for less than a thousand, right know looks like around 500, but, no 3 phase and not willing to go that route.  Will go for the lathe, it is all there tail stock single and double tool holder, couple of face plates, looks to be solid and little used.

Papa1stuff

I am going to look at a Boyce & Crane lath and was wondering if anyone knows anything about them?
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Thank You Sponsors!