iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

registering/tagging trailers in Maine

Started by srt, April 20, 2007, 06:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srt

I have a question - yes, another vehicle related one.  What's the deal with all the trailers being registered in Maine?  There is a cottage industry catering to registering trailers for out-of-staters.

My Lil Brother has his tagged with Maine tags, and several other folks I know of are either doing it, or considering it. 

A google search didn't bring up much info, except for companies that will be glad to register my trailers there. 

I know it's way cheaper.  I also know they don't require an inspection.

So,  what's the down side????

bull

I belive it has to be in Maine every thirty days or at least once a month and has to be used for interstate transportation................ Maine is smart enough to know how to add up alot of small numbers and make big ones out of them....

Don_Papenburg

The down side , If you are from Illinois you have to change the registration over to Illinois reg, with in 30 days.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

maple flats

I have had mine reg in Maine for years. They give a 5 or 6 yr reg and with Maine tage it does not need to get yearly inspections in NY, but everything must work if you are stopped. The rate is cheaper than NY too besides NY being 1 yr at a time.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

isawlogs

Here in Québec ,  a trailer plate is a one time thing .     56$ and its over, as long as you own it , the plate is good .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Frickman

Alot of my friends have Maine plates for one reason, cost. Many of these guys have never been in Maine, and neither have their trailers. They say that in Pennsylvania you have to have at least one trailer registered here, the rest you can register elsewhere. That's just what I've been told.

A friend / customer has somewhere between 175 and 200 trailers of all types. If he can save a few dollars on each trailer it soons adds up.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Thank You Sponsors!