iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hydraulic system startup proceedure??

Started by amberwood, April 13, 2007, 03:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amberwood

evening all. hopefully a simple question on hydraulics. I have after much delay finally put some oil in the mini-skidder I started a year ago, wired up the engine and started it up.

No hyd pressure. Nothing is moving. Any hints on priming the system? The header tank is located at the highest point just above the pump so I had assumed that it should self prime. The pump/motor is a combined unit from the Cushman mower that donated most of the parts. The only change made to the original system is replacing the seized OMC twin with the generic Yanmar-copy diesel.

Help

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

sawguy21

Have you bled the air from the system by loosening the hoses one at a time while cycling the controls? A bleeder valve at a high point in the system might make the job easier. I am guessing here, I don't have a lot of hydraulic experience.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mike_van

Could be something easy like a collapsed hose too - I had one once, when the fitting was pushed in, it folded back a layer of rubber inside the hose, the pump couldn't suck any oil in.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Quartlow

Crack open the supply line at the pump and make sure you have flow to the pump.
If you have oil at the pump, are the hose's hooked up right?
Is the pump coupler intact? Meaning is the pump turning? Is it turning the right direction?
It should self bleed as long as the above criteria are met.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

thecfarm

That is quite the skidder.I suppose when you filled it,you started it up and rechecked the fuild correct?Sometimes the simple things get us.I would put a seat with a higher back on it later on.Want to see that thing haul some wood out.Get some more pictures when you get it going.I bet you can sneak through the woods real nice with that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

amberwood

yes the tank is half full....will pull some hoses off and see where the oil has reached.

thanks
DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

semologger

Quote from: amberwood on April 13, 2007, 06:30:16 PM
yes the tank is half full....will pull some hoses off and see where the oil has reached.

thanks
DTR
some would say is it half full or half empty

sorry had to do it.

neat machine

semologger

i need to figure out how to post pitchures on here. i have a few i would like to use

thecfarm

semologger,just go to help on the top of the page and you will find help on how to post pictures.Looks like a lot at first,but it has to be done to get them on here.The more you do it,the easier it gets.If you run into trouble just ask,someone will help out.I'm glad I finally learned how to do it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

semologger

amberwood

in the removal refit process over a year i have managed to install the motor backwards. It runs the wrong way. I took the cheat option and figure 8 an old V belt, started it up and off she went.

Now the trick question. Does anyone have a brilliant solution to reverse the direction between the output of the engine and the input pulley of the hydraulic pump?

Worst case I have remove and refit the engine.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

james

if its a bi-directional pump , just switch the input and output hoses and it will work fine
james

amberwood

unfort no. It has one inlet and multiple outlets. Plus it forms part of a hydrostatic drive. One direction only. Think I have it figured, fingers crossed I get enought friction out of it. I can instal an idler on the far side of the pump drive and run the belt around that, with the back of the belt against the input pulley. Will try for maximum contatct and see how it goes. It has to be a cleaner solution than refitting the engine, that would mean chopping the machie apart and starting again.

thanks all

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

mike_van

If that works, but the belt slips too much, you can get those toothed belts & sprockets, the belts have teeth on both sides to do what you're planning.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Thank You Sponsors!