iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

burg sawmill

Started by schlep, January 13, 2010, 03:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schlep

I am new to the milling business,My wife and I are planning to build a log cabin and we are going to mill our own lumber. We are currently looking at a burg mill that is on sale 36" throat with 13 hp honda. If anyone out there has a mill like this how well does it cut,are they reliable, are parts available, how is the company support. are they a reputable com? If there is anyone out there that owns one I sure would like to hear from you. This mill is on sale until the end of the month so I have to decide pretty quick. Thanks

Jeff

Welcome to the Forestry Forum schlep.

I couldn't recall ever hearing of them, so I searched the forum and found there is some mention, and one member that mentioned said he liked his. Use the search function and search burg sawmill and you can see the few mentions of the mill. There ain't much.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodbe

I have  the 42" Burg. I got it second hand  with a few modifications. My saw had the raise and lowering of the head  changed  so it now climes a chain like the WM . It is a hand crank but goes threw a gear box with a fare reduction so there is no need  for any  lock. I t also has a small electric motor driving it only 5 hp. I will be going with a larger motor soon. As for how it cuts, I have  not had any problems. The 30' of track is set on 8" I-beam and that is set on pears  with 4X10 going  across from side to side. So fare we are good and level. The saw has cut some nice lumber and it has not had any trouble. I have not called them yet  so I cant comment .   

Woodbe

fishpharmer

Schlep and Woodbe welcome to Forestry Forum, this is a great place to learn about ALL sawmill stuff.

I googled Burg and found their website.  Looks like a Bill Rake style mill with linn lumber mills persuasion.  First I ever heard of them.  It looks comparable to a Woodmizer LT 10.

Will you saw mostly hardwood or softwood logs?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

schlep

good to hear from you people, i read the post on the one owner ,however there was not a lot of info there. I have never worked with a mill so this is all new to me. I will be sawing spruce that has been sitting for 1year and is peeled. I purchased the lumber from a sawmiller who decided to retire because of health problems in the family. Most of the lumber is 18" in dia.  and I am hoping that this mill will handle it without investing a great deal of money .I do realize that it is manual and labour intensive and that is fine but I want something that is reliable,that is fairly easy to maintain,and easy to get repairs should something go wrong. Also I am 1500 plus miles from the manufacture and know nothing about the company other than the conversation I had with the owner and the pics on the web page. Having said this however looking at it and what is being offered its seems to be worth the dollar they are asking.

schlep

Quote from: fishpharmer on January 13, 2010, 07:11:41 PM
Schlep and Woodbe welcome to Forestry Forum, this is a great place to learn about ALL sawmill stuff.

I googled Burg and found their website.  Looks like a Bill Rake style mill with linn lumber mills persuasion.  First I ever heard of them.  It looks comparable to a Woodmizer LT 10.

Will you saw mostly hardwood or softwood logs?
mostly spruce that has been dry for 1year

schlep

Quote from: woodbe on January 13, 2010, 05:58:43 PM
I have  the 42" Burg. I got it second hand  with a few modifications. My saw had the raise and lowering of the head  changed  so it now climes a chain like the WM . It is a hand crank but goes threw a gear box with a fare reduction so there is no need  for any  lock. I t also has a small electric motor driving it only 5 hp. I will be going with a larger motor soon. As for how it cuts, I have  not had any problems. The 30' of track is set on 8" I-beam and that is set on pears  with 4X10 going  across from side to side. So fare we are good and level. The saw has cut some nice lumber and it has not had any trouble. I have not called them yet  so I cant comment .   

Woodbe

what was the reason this was changed . more efficient or just simplier to operate?

Magicman

schlep,   Welcome to The Forestry Forum..... 8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodbe

From what I was told by the guy I bought it from was he didn't like it when the cable on one side over lapped and the other did not. I would think that would not make a huge difference but it all adds up. So fare I have just cut Doug Fir, Red Oak and Locust it all cut good with a sharp blade. This is my first mill as well. So in less there is something is going real bad I may not catch it. Hope this will help you.

Woodbe

backwoods sawyer

The burg sawmill is made here locally and I have talked with a couple of owners and they seemed very happy with them. One of them had a barn over flowing with wood that he had milled on his, and his mill was still cutting good when he demonstrated it for me. He had spent the day watching me mill up a large deck of logs for his neighbor and invited me over after I had finished. Both of the mills that I have seen had a solid foundation under them and there was no plans to move either of them.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

schlep

Quote from: Magicman on January 13, 2010, 08:29:11 PM
schlep,   Welcome to The Forestry Forum..... 8)
thankyou///////

schlep

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on January 14, 2010, 12:45:45 AM
The burg sawmill is made here locally and I have talked with a couple of owners and they seemed very happy with them. One of them had a barn over flowing with wood that he had milled on his, and his mill was still cutting good when he demonstrated it for me. He had spent the day watching me mill up a large deck of logs for his neighbor and invited me over after I had finished. Both of the mills that I have seen had a solid foundation under them and there was no plans to move either of them.
great, I guess that is the way we will go then,we were mostly decided but wanted to hear from people that have seen them work,thanks for the info, I guess we will have work to do soon.

woodbe

Here is a picture of my Burg mill. I just wanted to see if I could get them set up on the post. I am still working on the back wall and roof so we can stay dry when working. The log deck showed up while I was gone. Some of my good friends set it all up on a Sunday afternoon. Well good luck with your mill.

Woodbe

Coon

schlep,  Tis good to see someone else from Saskatchewan on the forum...

Those dry spruce logs must have come from north of you  eh eh.  Where abouts did they come from? 

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

schlep

Quote from: Coon on January 15, 2010, 03:23:37 AM
schlep,  Tis good to see someone else from Saskatchewan on the forum...

Those dry spruce logs must have come from north of you  eh eh.  Where abouts did they come from? 

Brad.

Also good to talk to someone local, the logs come from prairie river,i am building in Somme ,Your not far away ,do you know anyone with picker truck,looking for someone to move 35 cords about 13 miles?

Coon

I just looked at my profile and it needs changed.... I am actually living in Wynyard but do own some land north east of Kelvington.....   

I may know someone.... will make a couple of calls and see if a friend of mine still has his self loading trailer....   Just wished I had my small grapple log trailer finished.  It would take a few loads but would do the job  a cord at a time.

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Puffergas

Can't have mine ..... I like it too much !   ;D

The parts are mostly off the shelf.

Saws good !

Mr. Burg is a good man to deal with !

Check my photos. You will find pictures of the mill and log plus lumber sawed.

It comes with a track and bunkers but yah have to supply a sturdy frame under it.

Head aligns nice.

Good engine.

Jeff
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

schlep

:D  nice looking job, Well we took the plunge and ordered it. I will be mounting it also on a trailer, really would like to hear from you how your turner works,would be interested in trying to do something like that as well. can't wait for it to get here but  sounds like a while ,back ordered for 8 weeks or more so I guess I just got to wait////

Puffergas

Yup, I waited about three months for mine but it was worth the wait. I'm a big fan of manual mills but a bigger fan of log turners. They can be as simple as an over head chain fall. My turner isn't the best but its better than nothing. I have some new cylinders but no time to install them. For now try the search option.......

Jeff
Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

schlep

when you got yours was there much setup? Also I was wondering if one should go to a centrifical clutch rather than the lever setup as I see most of the other brands are set up that way?  One other question that I forgot to ask was how wide the two rails were on the 42" saw because I want to start building the trailer.

woodbe

My 42" Burg uses track that 62" to the out side. The bottom of the L goes to the inside of the track. At least that is how it is done on mine. You may want to ask Burg to make sure that it hasn't changed.

Woodbe

schlep

thank you, maybe I will give burg a call to be sure before I start.

Puffergas

You have to assemble the track. Comes in two parts. A big box with the saw head, bunkers, dogs etc. The angle iron track is separate. The saw head also needs some assembly. Not bad.

The manual clutch works OK but this spring I was thinking of trying a centrifugal clutch. I would still keep the manual clutch for a back up or if I was going electric. Start with the manual first. Slowly engage it a an idle. Keep an eye on belt tension so that the clutch works right but the belts don't slip. I hot glued a file handle on to the stock clutch handle.

Align it per the instruction.

Jeff 
Jeff

schlep

Thanks Jeff, great info, I think I will go with the centrifical clutch right away. seems kind of a pain to have to throttle back and manually stop  the saw when just using the throttle would do. Just wish I had ordered sooner as the weather is terrible now,could be getting everything ready before spring when I could use it instead of watching blowing snow/

coastlogger

Throttle an manual clutch is really no problem.I have my garden tractor style throttle mounted on clutch lever, I can do them both at once. It does have some advantages ie my engine seems to start better with some throttle ,blade doesnt engage etc.
clgr

Thank You Sponsors!