iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

long term storage

Started by 240b, November 14, 2011, 07:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

240b

Iam storing my skidder for the winter, any ideas about what i should do beside plugging up the pipe and intake. I know many farm tractors are not used for periods of time just wondering what people do..

Gary_C

Just for the winter is not long term storage. Around here most farmers leave equipment like combines for 10 months of the year.

If you want to do something, blowdown or wash the machine, grease it good, fill the fuel tank to prevent condensation with temperature changes, and perhaps put some mothballs in the cab and engine compartments to keep the mice out.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

deerguy

It's also a good idea to check the anti-freeze to ensure it's rated for local temperatures. Where we live, we make sure it's tested for -40'F. Another good idea is to make sure the tire pressure is correct, as sometimes a low tire will develop sidewall cracking even in a few short months, depending on age. I would much prefer to start it every 6-8 weeks and move it a bit, as this helps keep axle oil seals etc lubricated and prevents surprise leaks in the spring. This again might be because of our cool winters.
Good Luck !!!
I knew she was a keeper when she told me to buy the old skidder !!!!!

reride82

On our family farm we try to change the oil for the season prior to storage to remove the contaminants from the used oil. Also grease the machine before storage so that way if you have to use it in an emergency during storage you know everything is maintained and ready to go. Before startup in the spring drain a little oil from the crankcase to remove any water that may have gotten into the oil system(water settles to the bottom of the pan if undisturbed). We had a problem with this one year where condensation occured in the crankcase of our big Versatile farm tractor and ruined a few bearings.  ::) We do this every spring on all of our stored machinery now. I agree with starting on warm days a few times through the winter to lube everything up and also cycle the air conditioner to keep it in service if you have one. You can also block up the axles a bit to take the weight off of the tires if you are worried about the sidewalls on your tires and to prevent flat spots on your tires. It can be a violent ride in the cab of a tractor going down the road with flat spots on your tires.  :) :)
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

T Welsh

240b, all excellent advise!!!!!!! going over a machine before storage lets you know where its at in condition wise before storage. do all above and put a cover over the seat,I dont like a wet butt when I sit in a seat :D You may also find a problem while going over it and it will give you time to repair it, when YOU have time and money not right away like most break downs 8) Tim

thecfarm

Does it have a clutch? Good idea to put something on the pedal or between the linkage to disengage the clutch to keep it from freezing on to the flywheel.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!